The Chemical Basis of Industry

In summary: Sodium lauryl sulfate is a surfactant that is found in many personal care products, such as shampoos and soaps. Sulfation is a chemical reaction that takes place between a molecule of an alcohol and a molecule of a sulfide. In the sulfonation process, a sulfur atom is added to the alcohol molecule. Many sulfonation processes are dangerous to the environment, and sulfonation of alcohols can create sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid is a corrosive compound that can damage the environment and human health.Do you have any other questions about the industry you have chosen? I have a few. What are some of the environmental concerns
DarkMaster
I have a project for my chemistry class about industries.

Choose one of the industries listed below to research.
automobile

cleaning

clothing manufacture

computer

construction

cosmetic

dental

farming

food preparation

food processing

fuel

law enforcement

medical

photography

software

I have chosen cleaning.

Questions

Your report should contain information on the following topics. It will be graded using the rubric found at the end of the lesson.
Identify chemical reactions upon which the industry relies.

Determine the role that each reaction plays in the industry.

How are the products of the reaction used by the industry?

What benefits does the process bring to the industry or to the larger society?

Obtain industry statistics regarding the annual consumption or production of the reaction species.

Has the industry made any recent advances that have chemical foundations?

Are there environmental concerns that arise as a result of the chemical processes?

Detail the nature of any environmental problems associated with the chemical processes.

What solutions and precautions are in place to prevent environmental accidents?

Provide pictures or graphic of the industry you have chosen.

I tried doing it and got the first two questions done. I need help with the rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some help.

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/86/8603cover.html
http://fcs.sagepub.com/cgi/content/refs/36/2/151
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/84/8402wcoeurope.html
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/op9700439
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/113440000/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es991359u

You might glean some ideas for further consideration from this advertisement. Frost and Sullivan usually charges several tens of thousands of dollars for these reports.
http://www.frost.com/prod/servlet/report-brochure.pag?id=D478-01-00-00-00

Enzymes in detergent formulations.
Liquid detergent trends: increasing opportunities for enzymes New challenges and opportunities in the use of enzymes in liquid detergents are emerging owing to
various trends, including a shift in more compact liquid detergents, increased raw material costs, lower wash temperatures, and shorter wash cycles. Liquid detergents’ share in the US laundry market, based on retail value, is projected to grow to 89% by
2012, compared to 84% in 2008.
Europe’s share is expected to reach 33% by the same period. In 2008, the US detergent market reported an estimated retail value of €6.1 bn. By 2012, the Western European detergents market is projected to have an estimated value of €8.7 bn. Lower temperature washing could significantly reduce the activity of bleach and enzymes, but this could be solved by using an appropriate enzyme replacement. The use of the
appropriate enzymes may also close the cleaning disparity brought about by the shorter wash cycles chosen by consumers. For increased raw material prices, one of the tools available to detergent formulators is the selection and dosing of enzymes to optimize price/performance of laundry detergents.
HPC, Household and Personal Care Today, Oct 2008, (3), 64-67.

Perhaps you could share with us the answers you have so far for Questions 1&2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember: library first, wiki/google second, ask on forums third!

thanks for the help its way easier now

DarkMaster said:
I have a project for my chemistry class about industries.

Choose one of the industries listed below to research.
automobile

cleaning

clothing manufacture

computer

construction

cosmetic

dental

farming

food preparation

food processing

fuel

law enforcement

medical

photography

software

I have chosen cleaning.

Questions

Your report should contain information on the following topics. It will be graded using the rubric found at the end of the lesson.
Identify chemical reactions upon which the industry relies.

Determine the role that each reaction plays in the industry.

How are the products of the reaction used by the industry?

What benefits does the process bring to the industry or to the larger society?

Obtain industry statistics regarding the annual consumption or production of the reaction species.

Has the industry made any recent advances that have chemical foundations?

Are there environmental concerns that arise as a result of the chemical processes?

Detail the nature of any environmental problems associated with the chemical processes.

What solutions and precautions are in place to prevent environmental accidents?

Provide pictures or graphic of the industry you have chosen.

I tried doing it and got the first two questions done. I need help with the rest.

Research surfactants , for example Sodium Lauryl Sulfates and the process of sulfation and sulfonation. Some of the environmental concerns are related to the latter process. Ask if you have any specific questions.

1. What is the chemical basis of industry?

The chemical basis of industry refers to the use of chemical processes and materials in the production of goods and services. This includes the use of various chemicals, such as raw materials, solvents, and catalysts, to create products that are essential to our daily lives.

2. How does the chemical industry impact the economy?

The chemical industry plays a crucial role in the global economy by providing essential materials for a wide range of industries, such as pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and manufacturing. It also creates jobs and generates significant revenue through the production and sale of chemical products.

3. What are some examples of industries that heavily rely on chemistry?

Some industries that heavily rely on chemistry include pharmaceuticals, agriculture, food and beverage production, cosmetics, plastics, and textiles. These industries utilize chemical processes and materials to produce a wide range of products that are essential to our daily lives.

4. How does the chemical industry impact the environment?

The chemical industry can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it provides essential materials for sustainable technologies and products, such as solar panels and electric cars. On the other hand, the production and use of chemicals can also contribute to pollution and environmental degradation if not managed properly.

5. What advancements have been made in the chemical industry in recent years?

The chemical industry has made significant advancements in recent years, particularly in the development of sustainable and environmentally-friendly products and processes. This includes the use of renewable resources, such as plant-based materials, and the implementation of green chemistry principles to reduce waste and pollution. There have also been advancements in nanotechnology and biotechnology, which have opened up new possibilities for the development of innovative products and solutions.