The coefficient of kinetic friction for a Ford Focus

In summary, The coefficient of kinetic friction for the all electric Ford Focus was calculated to be 0.411 based on the battery capacity, curb weight, and maximum travel distance. However, this calculation does not take into account other factors such as air resistance, rolling resistance, and battery discharge, which all contribute to the overall drag on the car. Additionally, the calculation assumes that the wheels are locked up and the tires are sliding across the pavement, which is not the case for a moving car. The actual coefficient of kinetic friction for a moving car is much lower due to the use of static friction in wheel design.
zapnthund50
Hi guys,

Yesterday I sat down, and just for fun, decided to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the all electric Ford Focus. I keep getting the wrong answer, and it is driving me crazy. Here are the facts.
Battery: 23 kWh.
Curb weight: 1,651 kg.
Maximum travel distance before a recharge: 122 km

Very simply, we take 23 kWh*3600s = 82,800,000 J.
Then, the energy traveled per km is 82,800,000/122km = 679,000 J/km.
Then, force of friction for the entire car is Ff=uk*weight = 1651uk.

Then, we just say W= 679,000 = Fd = 1651uk*1000 meters,
and thus uk=0.411

But we have it from very reliable sources that the coefficient of kinetic friction for rubber on asphalt is around 0.7, so we are very low. Also, if we take into consideration wind resistance, rolling resistance, and battery discharge to 85% (I'm guessing here) instead of 100%, all these act to lower the coefficient, not raise it.

You can see my dilemma.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you calculated assumes the wheels are locked up and the tires are sliding across the pavement. I assume this isn't what you want. Since the wheels are rolling, there is no relative motion between the surface of the tire and the road surface, so the friction between the tire and the road does not dissipate any energy. The energy dissipated when the car is in motion comes from the other things you mentioned - mainly wind resistance and rolling resistance.

Likes zapnthund50
It is not clear here what calculation you have used here and what the kinetic friction as to do directly with the energy needed to keep a car rolling. The kinetic friction is normally to do with braking distance in situations where you want to dissipate the Kinetic Energy of your moving vehicle is as few metres as possible. The rolling resistance is what's needed if you want to apportion and minimise the various losses for a moving car.
You may be able to help me with this but I suspect that your calculation just happens to have produced that figure of 0.411 but that it may not have any physical meaning. You do not seem to have considered air resistance which afaiaa, is the major loss mechanism at normal driving speed.

I think the force of friction you calculated is actually the total drag force on the car including air resistance, rolling resistance of the tyres, friction in motor and drive train etc.

Likes zapnthund50 and sophiecentaur
CWatters said:
I think the force of friction you calculated is actually the total drag force on the car including air resistance, rolling resistance of the tyres, friction in motor and drive train etc.
Agreed. What that calculation shows is that the total drag is the equivalent of having the brakes applied at a significant level, That's why a car slows down so quickly from. say 80mph to 70mph when you lift your foot off the pedal. As the speed drops, air drag reduces a lot and (surprise surprise) the mpg gets better and better!

Likes zapnthund50
phyzguy said:
What you calculated assumes the wheels are locked up and the tires are sliding across the pavement. I assume this isn't what you want. Since the wheels are rolling, there is no relative motion between the surface of the tire and the road surface, so the friction between the tire and the road does not dissipate any energy. The energy dissipated when the car is in motion comes from the other things you mentioned - mainly wind resistance and rolling resistance.

I think you've nailed it. My problem was thinking kinetic, but I should have realized that a wheel uses the coefficient of static friction. That is, by design of the wheel, we are simply "resting" on the surface in terms of practical calculations, although we are moving forward.

Thanks, appreciate the help.

sophiecentaur said:
It is not clear here what calculation you have used here and what the kinetic friction as to do directly with the energy needed to keep a car rolling. The kinetic friction is normally to do with braking distance in situations where you want to dissipate the Kinetic Energy of your moving vehicle is as few metres as possible. The rolling resistance is what's needed if you want to apportion and minimise the various losses for a moving car.
You may be able to help me with this but I suspect that your calculation just happens to have produced that figure of 0.411 but that it may not have any physical meaning. You do not seem to have considered air resistance which afaiaa, is the major loss mechanism at normal driving speed.
Yes, as other pointed out, I made the mistake of effectively calculated with the car brakes locked. Since a wheel uses static friction, no energy is lost during normal movement. The number I got is a result of rolling resistance, wind resistance, incomplete battery discharge, energy losses in electric motor, etc. Thanks for the help guys, problem solved.

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction for a Ford Focus?

The coefficient of kinetic friction for a Ford Focus varies depending on the surface it is being driven on. On dry pavement, it is typically between 0.3-0.4.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction determined for a Ford Focus?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is determined through experiments where the car is driven on different surfaces at different speeds. The force of friction is then measured and divided by the weight of the car to calculate the coefficient.

3. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the performance of a Ford Focus?

The coefficient of kinetic friction plays a crucial role in the performance of a Ford Focus. A higher coefficient means the car has more grip and can accelerate, brake, and turn more efficiently. A lower coefficient can result in the car sliding or losing control on slippery surfaces.

4. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction for a Ford Focus be changed?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by factors such as tire type, tire pressure, and surface conditions. These factors can be adjusted to some extent to change the coefficient, but the car's design and weight distribution also play a significant role.

5. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction for a Ford Focus compare to other vehicles?

The coefficient of kinetic friction for a Ford Focus is comparable to other compact cars. However, it may vary depending on the specific model and modifications made to the car. Generally, larger and heavier vehicles tend to have a higher coefficient of kinetic friction due to their weight and tire size.