The complex refractive index vs. permittivity

In summary, Ulaby's definition of "ε" is different from Wikipedia's. Ulaby states that "ε = ε' - jε'' while Wikipedia states that "ε = ε_1 + jε_2."
Plant_Boy
I have a process of thought and would like to run past some other minds to point out if I am incorrect in my thinking.

I am looking into conductivity in high frequencies and a lot of papers I am looking up list a complex refractive index. They list something as in nAg = 0.1453 + j11.3587. (Excuse the imaginary symbol, j, I come from an electrical engineering background.)

Various sources inform that [itex]n = \sqrt {ε_r} [/itex]. [Link]

Also that [itex] ε = ε' - jε'' = ε_1 - j \frac {σ}{ω}[/itex] [Electromagnetics for Engineers; Fawwaz T Ulaby]

We can get from [Wikipedia.org] that:
[itex] ε = ε_1 + jε_2 = (n + j κ)^2 = n^2 + j 2nκ - κ^2 [/itex]
[itex] ε_1 = n - κ^2; ε_2 = 2nκ [/itex]
*Possible contradiction in Wikipedia vs. Ulaby*
Ulaby states - [itex] ε = ε' - jε''[/itex]
Wikipedia states - [itex] ε = ε_1 + jε_2 [/itex]
So, does:
[itex] 2nκ = \frac {σ}{ω} [/itex]
Where:
n - real part refractive index
κ - Complex part refractive index
σ - conductivity
ω - angular frequency
I am kind of running this by so that someone can say "Yup" but also, I think, writing it down helps me to understand a little better. Also, this is the first time of me using LaTeX and wanted to keep trying it out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why Ulaby uses a minus sign in the definition of epsilon''. Must be an engineering convention.

Plant_Boy said:
So, does:
2nκ=σ/ω
Isn't that just an approximation?
DrDu said:
I don't know why Ulaby uses a minus sign in the definition of epsilon''. Must be an engineering convention.
If you mean this equation, I believe it's a dash; not a negative sign.
Ulaby states - ε=εjε ε = ε' - jε''

It was a proof from Maxwell's Equations
[itex] \nabla \times H(t)= J(t) + jωεE(t) [/itex]
[itex] J(t) = σE(t) [/itex]

Substitute
[itex] \nabla \times H(t) = (σ + jωε) E(t) [/itex]
[itex] \nabla \times H(t) = jω (ε + \frac {σ}{jω}) E(t) [/itex]
[itex] \nabla \times H(t) = jω (ε - j \frac {σ}{ω}) E(t) [/itex]
[itex] \nabla \times H(t) = jω (ε' - j ε'') E(t) [/itex]
Where:
H(t) - Time Varying Magnetic Field with direction (Still getting used to the [itex] coding)
E(t) - Time Varying Electric Field with direction
J(t) - Current Density
σ - Conductance
ω - Angular Frequency (2π f)
ε - Permittivity​

Though I could well be wrong in my assumptions as this provides a relationship between Time Varying (TV) Magnetic fields and TV Electric fields...

I suppose the question would then be, is the permittivity gained through complex refractive index similar to that of the permittivity relating Magnetic Fields and Electric fields?

It certainly is, but usually, we use it in other frequency regions. There are also different conventions. E.g. in optics it is usual to set B=H. All potential magnetic effects are included in a dependence of the dielectric function on the wavevector, i.e. ##\epsilon(\mathbf{k},\omega)##.

Likes Plant_Boy
Previously I had given the proof:
[itex]\varepsilon - j \frac{\sigma}{\omega} = n^2 - K^2 + j2nK[/itex]
Should it be:
[itex]\varepsilon_r = n^2 - K^2 + j2nK[/itex]
And so:
[itex]\varepsilon_0 \varepsilon_r = \varepsilon_0 \varepsilon_r - j \frac{\sigma}{\omega} [/itex]
[itex]\varepsilon_r = \varepsilon_r - j\frac{\sigma}{\omega \varepsilon_0}[/itex]
Therefore:
[itex]\varepsilon_r - j \frac{\sigma}{\omega \varepsilon_0} = n^2 - K^2 + j2nK[/itex]
Does this sound correct?

What is the complex refractive index?

The complex refractive index is a measure of how light propagates through a medium, taking into account both the phase and amplitude of the light wave. It is typically represented as a complex number, with the real part representing the refractive index and the imaginary part representing the absorption coefficient.

How is the complex refractive index related to the permittivity?

The complex refractive index is directly related to the permittivity of a material. The real part of the complex refractive index is equal to the square root of the real part of the permittivity, while the imaginary part is equal to the square root of the imaginary part of the permittivity. The permittivity is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy in an electric field.

What is the difference between the real and imaginary parts of the complex refractive index?

The real part of the complex refractive index is related to the refractive index, which determines how much a light wave is bent when passing through a material. The imaginary part is related to the absorption coefficient, which determines how much light is absorbed by the material. In other words, the real part affects the speed of light, while the imaginary part affects the intensity of light.

How is the complex refractive index measured?

The complex refractive index can be measured using various techniques, such as ellipsometry or spectroscopic reflectometry. These methods involve measuring the reflectance and transmittance of light at different wavelengths and using mathematical models to calculate the complex refractive index.

What factors can affect the values of the complex refractive index and permittivity?

The values of the complex refractive index and permittivity can be affected by a variety of factors, including the composition, structure, and temperature of a material. They can also be influenced by external factors, such as the intensity and wavelength of light passing through the material. Additionally, the values may vary depending on the measurement technique and conditions.