The Damascus Titan II Nuclear Missle Accident

In summary, the movie "Command and Control" is loosely based on an event that happened in 1965 in an Arkansas Titan II silo. The event killed 50 people and the movie does not sufficiently reflect that.
CFDFEAGURU
So, I bought a copy of "Command and Control" and I found out that a made for TV movie about this incident called "Disaster at Silo 7" came out on VHS format and is pretty hard to find. Amazon had 4 copies but 40 dollars for a pretty old VHS tape that probably has low quality is not something I want to buy.

Have you ever seen this movie? I was almost 3 years old when this event happened...

Physics news on Phys.org
Good friend of mine was a launch officer in the Arkansas Titan II silos starting the year after the accident. He tells the story just as it is written up on Wiki.

CFDFEAGURU said:
So, I bought a copy of "Command and Control" and I found out that a made for TV movie about this incident called "Disaster at Silo 7" came out on VHS format and is pretty hard to find. Amazon had 4 copies but 40 dollars for a pretty old VHS tape that probably has low quality is not something I want to buy.

Have you ever seen this movie? I was almost 3 years old when this event happened...

The movie is only loosely based on reality. Since I had had a lot of experience with the Titan II I found it a bit too loosely based. This was primarily for dramatic effect. For instance in the movie two airmen in Scape (self contained atmospheric pressurized environment) suits were told to return into the silo to turn on an exhaust fan. That never would have happened. Whenever a leak was detected by sensors the fan would go into full purge configuration automatically.

It was a leak in the fuel tank that allowed the Hydrazine fumes to build up.

The event that took the most lives in a Titian II silo also happened in Arkansas in August 1965. A fire started when a welder accidentally burned a hole in a hydraulic line. The hydraulic fluid and flushing agents were supposed to have been non flammable. At the time we were told the death toll was 67. The article below states 50. The primary cause of death was CO poisoning.

http://www.techbastard.com/missile/titan2/accident_373-4.php

The men were found wearing gas masks which can not stop CO. The launch duct was sealed from the outer equipment area and from the CO. There was also an air duct that ran from the control center end of the cableway to the bottom of the launch duct which could have provided fresh air. With the exception of the welder, no one needed to die that day.

Likes Evo

1. What was the Damascus Titan II Nuclear Missile Accident?

The Damascus Titan II Nuclear Missile Accident occurred on September 18, 1980 at a missile silo near Damascus, Arkansas. During a routine maintenance check, a worker dropped a socket wrench, puncturing the missile's fuel tank and causing a massive explosion. This accident resulted in the loss of one life and the destruction of the missile and its silo.

2. How serious was the Damascus Titan II Nuclear Missile Accident?

The Damascus Titan II Nuclear Missile Accident was considered a "broken arrow" incident, meaning a nuclear weapon was lost, stolen, or detonated without authorization. It was the most serious nuclear weapons accident in U.S. history and resulted in the release of radioactive material into the environment.

3. What were the consequences of the Damascus Titan II Nuclear Missile Accident?

The consequences of the Damascus Titan II Nuclear Missile Accident were far-reaching. In addition to the loss of life and destruction of the missile and silo, there was also significant damage to the surrounding area due to the release of toxic fuel and radiation. The incident also led to increased safety protocols and procedures for handling nuclear weapons.

4. Was the Damascus Titan II Nuclear Missile Accident preventable?

In hindsight, it is clear that the Damascus Titan II Nuclear Missile Accident was preventable. The accident was caused by human error and could have been avoided if proper safety procedures and protocols were followed. However, at the time, safety measures for handling nuclear weapons were not as strict as they are today.

5. What lessons were learned from the Damascus Titan II Nuclear Missile Accident?

The Damascus Titan II Nuclear Missile Accident served as a wake-up call for the U.S. military and government. It highlighted the need for stricter safety protocols and procedures for handling nuclear weapons. It also emphasized the importance of proper training and communication among personnel involved in maintaining and securing these weapons.