The Derivative of a log of a trig function

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on simplifying an expression before differentiation. The suggested method is to use the half-angle formula for cosine, which simplifies the expression to tan^2(x/2). Further simplification using the laws of logs is recommended.
koudai8

Homework Statement

I came across a question like this on a test today, and it says it would be helpful to simplify before differentiation. However, I could not find ways to simplify (1- cos(x))/(1+cos(x)).

Homework Equations

ln((1- cos (x))/(1+cos(x)))^7)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to multiply by the conjugate of denominator and got (1+2cos(x)+cos(x)^2)/sin(x)^2

But I still do not see how to tackle this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
koudai8 said:

Homework Statement

I came across a question like this on a test today, and it says it would be helpful to simplify before differentiation. However, I could not find ways to simplify (1- cos(x))/(1+cos(x)).

Homework Equations

ln((1- cos (x))/(1+cos(x)))^7)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to multiply by the conjugate of denominator and got (1+2cos(x)+cos(x)^2)/sin(x)^2

But I still do not see how to tackle this problem.

Hint: half-angle formula for cos x.

(EDITED: my mistake, I assumed you were required to integrate rather than differentiate!)

The half-angle formula is still a very good idea, after you apply this, apply the laws of logs to simplify further before differentiating.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
Hint: half-angle formula for cos x.

Wouldn't it be easier to use the trigonometric identities for cos^2(x) and sin^2(x)?

Premat said:
Wouldn't it be easier to use the trigonometric identities for cos^2(x) and sin^2(x)?

How would those help?

Curious3141 said:
How would those help?

Well, given that tan^2(u)=sin^2(u)/cos^2(u) , shouldn't it be possible to rewrite the equation into tan^2(z) , seeing as we have:

• sin^2(u) = 1/2 - 1/2 cos(2u)
  • cos^2(u) = 1/2 + 1/2 cos(2u)

Last edited:
Premat said:
Well, given that tan^2(u)=sin^2(u)/cos^2(u) , shouldn't it be possible to rewrite the equation into tan^2(z) , seeing as we have:

• sin^2(x) = 1/2 - 1/2 cos(2x)
  • cos^2(x) = 1/2 + 1/2 cos(2x)

What's "z"?

The half angle formulae are basically equivalent to the double angle formulae, and they allow an immediate simplification.

Although, frankly, if differentiation is what's required, I don't think prior simplification helps a whole lot.

Curious3141 said:
What's "z"?

The half angle formulae are basically equivalent to the double angle formulae, and they allow an immediate simplification.

Although, frankly, if differentiation is what's required, I don't think prior simplification helps a whole lot.

z [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ , didn't want it to get mixed up with x

What does it simplify to using the half-angle formulae? Using the previously stated identities it should be possible to simplify the expression inside the logarithm to tan(x/2)

EDIT: That's tan^2(x), not tan(x)!

Last edited:
Premat said:
z [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ , didn't want it to get mixed up with x

What does it simplify to using the half-angle formulae? Using the previously stated identities it should be possible to simplify the expression inside the logarithm to tan(x/2)

Should that be ##\displaystyle \tan^2 \frac{x}{2}##? Because that's what I get with the half-angle formula.

Further simplification with the laws of logs is trivial.

Curious3141 said:
Should that be ##\displaystyle \tan^2 \frac{x}{2}##? Because that's what I get with the half-angle formula.

Further simplification with the laws of logs is trivial.

Yeah, you're right, forgot to square it in my post. I'll edit it.

Related to The Derivative of a log of a trig function

What is the derivative of the natural logarithm of a trigonometric function?

The derivative of ln(sin x) is cot x, and the derivative of ln(cos x) is -tan x.

How do you find the derivative of the logarithm of a trigonometric function?

To find the derivative of log base a of sin x, use the formula: (1/ln a) * (cos x / sin x).

What is the rule for finding the derivative of the logarithm of a trigonometric function?

The rule for finding the derivative of log base a of a trigonometric function is (1/ln a) * (derivative of the trig function).

Can you provide an example of finding the derivative of the logarithm of a trigonometric function?

For example, to find the derivative of log base 2 of sin x, we would use the formula (1/ln 2) * (cos x / sin x).

What is the significance of knowing the derivative of the logarithm of a trigonometric function?

Knowing the derivative of log base a of a trigonometric function is important in calculus and other branches of mathematics, as it allows us to find the rate of change or slope of these functions at any given point.