The determination of a particle's spin

In summary, the conversation discusses the uncertainty of measuring the spin of particles in relation to the presence or absence of an electric or magnetic field. It is mentioned that in most cases, particle spins are measured without the use of electromagnetic fields, such as in the case of neutrinos. However, there is still uncertainty in measuring the spin of particles, and it is unclear if there is a point in applying an electromagnetic field to measure it. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities of measuring particle spin and the need for further understanding in this area.
Randall71284
If I am unable to distinguish the spin of a particle in an absence of an electric field or magnetic field, how am I able to determine whether there is an electric or magnetic field in a real-life context?

How is it that we can be sure of the uncertainty of the spin of particles if we are unable to create a situation in which there is an absence of an electric or magnetic field?

If a small enough field could be ignored (as there still are fields, however small in magnitude, acting on every particle in the universe), is there a level of magnitude in which the electromagnetic fields can be deemed insignificant that the particle’s spin is unaffected?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you mean. How else do you want to measure the spin of your particle than with applying some electromagnetic field?

I mean that if we could only measure the spin of a particle by applying an electromagnetic field, and since there must be an effect on the particle by some electromagnetic field, then is there a point in saying that we must apply some electromagnetic field to measure it? Will there be any uncertainty in a particle's spin?

Randall71284 said:
I mean that if we could only measure the spin of a particle by applying an electromagnetic field, and since there must be an effect on the particle by some electromagnetic field, then is there a point in saying that we must apply some electromagnetic field to measure it? Will there be any uncertainty in a particle's spin?
I'm also not sure what you're asking. QM says that a particle's spin (relative to any given axis) is indeterminate unless you measure its spin about that axis. If you do, you get one of a set of possible discrete values. In the case of an electron, for example, you get ##\pm \dfrac \hbar 2##.

What are you asking in relation to that?

Likes vanhees71
"How else do you want to measure the spin of your particle than with applying some electromagnetic field?"
Most particle spins are measured without an electrical electromagnetic field, especially neutral particles.
The neutrino spin was measured using conservation of angular momentum.

1. What is spin in particle physics?

Spin is an intrinsic property of particles that describes their angular momentum. It is a quantum mechanical property and is often represented by the symbol "s".

2. How is spin measured?

Spin is measured using a device called a Stern-Gerlach apparatus, which can separate particles based on their spin orientation. The results of this measurement are typically expressed in units of "spin" or "spin states".

3. Can a particle's spin change?

No, a particle's spin is a fixed property and cannot be changed. It is a fundamental characteristic of the particle, similar to its mass and charge.

4. What is the significance of a particle's spin?

Spin is an important property in particle physics as it helps to classify and distinguish between different types of particles. It also plays a role in determining the behavior of particles in certain physical interactions.

5. How does spin relate to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two particles can occupy the same quantum state. Spin is one of the quantum numbers used to describe a particle's state, and therefore, it plays a key role in the application of the Pauli exclusion principle.