The difference between diamagnetism and paramagnetism?

In summary: All materials are inherently diamagnetic."This is true for all materials."If the atoms have some net magnetic moment as in paramagnetic materials, or if there is long-range ordering of atomic magnetic moments as in ferromagnetic materials, these stronger effects are always dominant."This is what causes paramagnetism.
jeebs
Hi,
I am struggling to see the difference in the origins of diamagnetism and paramagnetism.

My understanding of things is that the electrons orbitting an atom constitute a tiny circular current loop, which corresponds to a magnetic dipole moment pointing normal to the plane of that loop.

When a magnetic field is applied, apparently a diamagnetic material will allow its dipoles to align themselves such that they oppose the applied field, as a consequence of Lenz's law.

However, from what I can gather, paramagnetism also results from tiny atomic current loops that create a magnetic dipole moment, but these do not oppose the field and I do not know why.

The Hyperphysics website states that:
"All materials are inherently diamagnetic, but if the atoms have some net magnetic moment as in paramagnetic materials, or if there is long-range ordering of atomic magnetic moments as in ferromagnetic materials, these stronger effects are always dominant."

This particularly confuses me, because surely a diamagnetic atom has some net magnetic moment too, or else what the hell is it aligning with the applied field? Surely an atom with no net magnetic moment will have no reaction whatsoever to an applied field?

I'd really appreciate a swift answer to this because my magnetism exam is tomorrow.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jeebs said:
This particularly confuses me, because surely a diamagnetic atom has some net magnetic moment too, or else what the hell is it aligning with the applied field?
The orbital current loops. Diamagnetism is present in all atoms. Paramagnetism arises in atoms with unpaired spins which not all atoms or have. People who measure paramagnetic susceptibilities routinely apply diamagnetic corrections found in tables to separate the paramagnetic contribution from the unavoidable diamagnetic contribution.

Likes vanhees71
"If the atoms have some net magnetic moment"
I think that is just loose language in the text. I think they must mean something like 'intrinsic' instead of 'net'.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the main difference between diamagnetism and paramagnetism?

The main difference between diamagnetism and paramagnetism is the response of materials to an external magnetic field. Diamagnetic materials have a weak negative response, while paramagnetic materials have a weak positive response.

2. How do diamagnetic and paramagnetic materials behave in a magnetic field?

Diamagnetic materials have a weak repulsion from the magnetic field, causing them to slightly move away from the field. Paramagnetic materials have a weak attraction to the field, causing them to slightly move towards the field.

3. What causes diamagnetism and paramagnetism in materials?

Diamagnetism is caused by the orbital motion of electrons in an atom, which creates a small magnetic field that opposes an external field. Paramagnetism is caused by the alignment of atomic dipoles in an external magnetic field, which creates a weak magnetic field in the same direction as the external field.

4. Can all materials exhibit diamagnetism and paramagnetism?

Yes, all materials can exhibit diamagnetism and paramagnetism to some degree. However, materials with no unpaired electrons in their atoms (such as noble gases) are only diamagnetic, while materials with unpaired electrons can exhibit both diamagnetism and paramagnetism.

5. How do diamagnetism and paramagnetism influence the properties of materials?

Diamagnetism and paramagnetism can affect the magnetic properties, electrical conductivity, and thermal conductivity of materials. They can also influence the behavior of materials in the presence of a magnetic field, such as in MRI machines or magnetic levitation trains.