The Dirac equation and the spectrum of the hydrogen atom

In summary,In summary, the Dirac equation is a relativistic equation that describes particles moving at relativistic velocities. It worked well in predicting the fine structure of hydrogen because it properly incorporated the effects of electron spin.
Sophrosyne
I was reading that one of the successes of the Dirac equation was that it was able to account for the fine structure of some of the differences in the spectrum of the hydrogen atom.

But the Dirac equation is about subatomic particles moving at relativistic velocities. But an electron around the hydrogen atom is in a superposition state. It's not supposed to have a velocity, does it? And if it does, is it really at relativistic velocities? What kind of numbers are we talking about here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sophrosyne said:
I was reading

Where? Can you give a reference?

Sophrosyne said:
the Dirac equation is about subatomic particles moving at relativistic velocities

It describes particles moving at relativistic velocities, but it is certainly not limited to doing so. The reason it worked better in predicting the fine structure of hydrogen was that it properly incorporated the effects of electron spin, not that electrons in atoms are moving at relativistic velocities.

PeterDonis said:
Where? Can you give a reference?

I am embarrassed to say, but it was some YouTube videos. I can track them down if you are really interested.

But do we know if velocities of the electron can be measured around the hydrogen atom? Of course, this would sacrifice position measurements based on Heisenberg uncertainty, but what kind of numbers do we get when attempts ARE made to measure it?

PeterDonis said:
It describes particles moving at relativistic velocities, but it is certainly not limited to doing so. The reason it worked better in predicting the fine structure of hydrogen was that it properly incorporated the effects of electron spin, not that electrons in atoms are moving at relativistic velocities.

It incorporates spin of particles moving at relativistic speeds. Otherwise, those effects can be calculated using classical treatments.

What value would have to be put into the velocity value in the Lorentz transform of the equation if you are using the Dirac equation?

Sophrosyne said:
It incorporates spin of particles moving at relativistic speeds.

No, it incorporates spin of spin-1/2 particles (fermions), period. There is no restriction that they must be moving at relativistic speeds. See below.

Sophrosyne said:
Otherwise, those effects can be calculated using classical treatments.

Yes, if you don't mind getting wrong answers. Physicists in the 1920s did mind that, which is one reason why Dirac's equation was such a breakthrough.

One way of interpreting this is that Dirac discovered that spin, in and of itself, requires a relativistic treatment to be modeled correctly--i.e., that spin, even in particles moving much more slowly than light, is a manifestation of relativistic effects. Nowadays we understand this as an aspect of group theory: the group SU(2), which describes spin, is a subgroup of SO(3, 1), which describes Lorentz invariance in general.

Likes vanhees71
Sophrosyne said:
What value would have to be put into the velocity value in the Lorentz transform of the equation if you are using the Dirac equation?

Um, whatever the relative velocity of the frames is? The Lorentz transform is the same for the Dirac equation as for any other relativistically covariant equation.

Sophrosyne said:
do we know if velocities of the electron can be measured around the hydrogen atom?

AFAIK nobody has attempted to do this, probably because it would be very difficult technically and would not provide any real value to us, since we already have models that accurately predict the quantities we care about, such as the energy levels of electrons in atoms.

Sophrosyne said:
I am embarrassed to say, but it was some YouTube videos.

Your embarrassment indicates that you are aware that this is not a good source of information. Certainly not if you want to have an "I" level discussion. I have adjusted the level of this thread to "B".

For better information, you should consult textbooks or peer-reviewed papers.

PeterDonis said:
Your embarrassment indicates that you are aware that this is not a good source of information. Certainly not if you want to have an "I" level discussion. I have adjusted the level of this thread to "B".

For better information, you should consult textbooks or peer-reviewed papers.

I see. This was helpful. Thanks!

V is an observable like any other. You can obtain it as ## v= i/\hbar [H,x]=c\alpha##.
I think you can measure the velocity distribution e.g. from the Doppler shift of photons scattered off the electrons. Also note that the Dirac equation not only describes hydrogen but also hydrogen like ions.
While the relativistic effects in hydrogen are small (but have nevertheless been measured with high accuracy) they are immense in hydrogen like ions like U##^{91+}##.

Last edited:

Related to The Dirac equation and the spectrum of the hydrogen atom

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a mathematical equation developed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928 to describe the behavior of electrons in a quantum field. It is a relativistic wave equation that combines elements of quantum mechanics and special relativity to accurately describe the behavior of particles at high speeds.

2. How does the Dirac equation relate to the hydrogen atom?

The Dirac equation is used to describe the energy levels and behavior of electrons in the hydrogen atom. It accurately predicts the spectral lines observed in the emission or absorption of light by hydrogen atoms, providing a fundamental understanding of the atom's structure.

3. What is the significance of the spectrum of the hydrogen atom?

The spectrum of the hydrogen atom is significant because it provides a basis for understanding the behavior of all atoms. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the fundamental properties of matter.

4. How does the Dirac equation differ from the Schrödinger equation?

The Dirac equation is a more comprehensive and accurate equation than the Schrödinger equation. It takes into account relativistic effects and spin, which the Schrödinger equation does not. The Dirac equation also has a negative energy solution, which led to the prediction of antimatter.

5. Can the Dirac equation be applied to other atoms besides hydrogen?

Yes, the Dirac equation can be used to describe the behavior of electrons in atoms with more than one electron. However, it becomes increasingly complex and difficult to solve as the number of electrons increases. It is most commonly used for one-electron systems like hydrogen and positronium.