The Dirac Equation: Understanding Spinors and Approximations

In summary, the conversation discusses the Dirac equation and its solutions, specifically focusing on the equation (2.75) and its implications for spinors. The conversation also addresses the difficulty in obtaining equation (2.113) from (2.111) and explains that the terms work up to order ##p^4##, leading to the conclusion that equation (2.113) is valid up to this order.
park
TL;DR Summary
dirac equation and it's solution
I'm studying about dirac equation and it's solution.
When we starts with the equation (2.75), I can understand that it is possible to set 2 kinds of spinor.
스크린샷 2020-03-31 오후 2.51.18.png

스크린샷 2020-03-31 오후 2.51.39.png

But my question is...
1. After the assumption (2.100), how can we set the equation like (2.101)
스크린샷 2020-03-31 오후 2.52.18.png

2. I can't get (2.113) from (2.111) using (2.112)... Approximation and operator made me so crazy!
Please help me...
스크린샷 2020-03-31 오후 2.52.50.png

Physics news on Phys.org
First step: what is ##(\vec{p} \cdot \sigma) (\vec{p} \cdot \vec{\sigma}) ## equal to?

nrqed said:
First step: what is ##(\vec{p} \cdot \sigma) (\vec{p} \cdot \vec{\sigma}) ## equal to?

Equal to ##\boldsymbol{p}^2## !

park said:
Equal to ##\boldsymbol{p}^2## !
Right!

Now, the key point is that they work up to order ##p^4##, i.e. they drop all terms of higher order.

So notice that the following term on the left of (2.111) is

$$ (T+e \phi) (-p^2/(8m^2c^2)= -p^4/(16m^3c^2) ~\text{plus terms of order } p^4 \text{ and higher}.$$

This term cancels exactly the term ##- (\vec{p} \cdot \vec{\sigma})^2\, p^2/(16m^3c^2) ## that appears on the right side. This leaves Eq, (2.113), which is valid up to order ##p^4##.

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of fermions, such as electrons, in quantum mechanics. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928 and is a fundamental equation in the field of quantum mechanics.

2. What is a spinor?

A spinor is a mathematical object that represents the quantum state of a particle with spin. In the context of the Dirac equation, spinors are used to describe the behavior of fermions, which have half-integer spin.

3. How is the Dirac equation different from other wave equations?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation, meaning it takes into account the effects of special relativity. This makes it more accurate for describing the behavior of particles moving at high speeds, such as electrons. It also includes the concept of spin, which is not accounted for in other non-relativistic wave equations.

4. What are the implications of the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation has many important implications in physics. It led to the prediction of the existence of antimatter, specifically the positron, which was later confirmed experimentally. It also provided a framework for understanding the behavior of particles with spin, and has been crucial in the development of quantum field theory.

5. How is the Dirac equation used in practical applications?

The Dirac equation has been used in a wide range of practical applications, including the development of quantum computing and the prediction of new particles in particle physics experiments. It is also used in technologies such as MRI machines and transistors, which rely on the principles of quantum mechanics.