The distribution of charges in a conductor

In summary, the density of electric charge is higher near a surface with high curvature because the tangential component of the Coulomb force is reduced, requiring more charge to produce the same force. This is due to the fact that charges in a conductor are constrained to move on the surface, and any electric field inside the conductor is eventually cancelled out by the movement of charges. The divergence of the electric field is proportional to the charge density, and since the E field is normal to the surface, the more curved the surface, the higher the charge density. This explains why the charges accumulate near the surface with high curvature, as opposed to a flat surface.
micomaco86572
I was taught in my Eletricmagnetics Lessons that the density of electric charge is higher near the surface with big curvature and lower near the flat surface.
Why does the density of electric charge has something to do with the surface curvature?
Is this because such a system has the minimal energy?

thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider that the charges are constrained to move on the surface. Then you can see that their motion is determined by the tangential component of the Coulomb force. In a region with high curvature the tangential component is less so it requires more charge to make the same force.

That is a rather "hand-waving" argument, but I find it rather intuitive.

The charges in a conductor repell and go apart as far as possible. If a ball has a niddle on its surface, some charges will go to the niddle. But if a ball has a niddle hole inwards, they will not accumulate there.

I think the question has been pretty well answered but since I love to hear myself talk I'm going to add a bit.

Since charges can move in a conductor any electric field inside the conductor will not last as it means a force on the charges which then move in reaction to the force. Eventually the charges must move until they cancel out any internal E-fields.

Now we come to the surface where the charges cannot move outward. There thus can be an E-field at the surface but it must be normal to this surface since any lateral component again means a component of force on charges which can move in this lateral direction. So picture a blob shaped conductor as having 0 E field inside and at the surface the E-field points straight out.

Finally recall that the divergence of the E field (the degree to which it radiates outward rather than lining up parallel) is proportional to the charge density. Given the E field is normal to the surface the more curved the surface the higher the divergence of the E field and thus the more concentrated the charge density. This isn't so much a causal explanation but a way to see that this is how it must be.

By the same equation we see that since the divergence of the zero E field inside the conductor is also zero we know that none of the charge is distributed through the interior of the conductor and all must reside at the surface.

Likes gracy

Related to The distribution of charges in a conductor

What is the distribution of charges in a conductor?

The distribution of charges in a conductor refers to how the electric charges are arranged or spread out within the conductor. This is important because it determines the behavior of the electric field and current flow within the conductor.

Why do charges distribute themselves evenly on the surface of a conductor?

Charges distribute themselves evenly on the surface of a conductor because they repel each other and seek to maintain the equilibrium. In a conductor, charges are able to move freely, so they spread out as far as possible from each other, resulting in a uniform distribution on the surface.

What happens to the distribution of charges when a conductor is connected to a battery?

When a conductor is connected to a battery, the distribution of charges changes. The battery creates an electric field that pushes charges to flow through the conductor. As a result, the charges redistribute themselves and create an electric potential difference between the two ends of the conductor.

How does the shape of a conductor affect the distribution of charges?

The shape of a conductor can affect the distribution of charges. In a conductor with sharp edges or points, the charges tend to accumulate more at those points, resulting in a higher concentration of charges. This can lead to a stronger electric field and potential for electrical discharges.

What factors can influence the distribution of charges in a conductor?

The distribution of charges in a conductor can be influenced by several factors, such as the shape, size, and material of the conductor. The presence of other charges or external electric fields can also affect the distribution. Additionally, the temperature and moisture content of the conductor can impact the behavior of charges and their distribution.