The Eigenfunction of a 2-electron system

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to show that the wave function is an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian when the two electrons do not interact. The Hamiltonian, wave function, energy, and Born radius are given and the person is stuck in their calculation. It is suggested to substitute the two-electron wave function in the Hamiltonian and the energy should have no r-dependence. The person then realizes that the -hbar^2 / 2m term doesn't factor out of all terms and this suggestion helps them solve the problem.
Settho
Homework Statement
Show that the wave function is an eigenfunction of the hamiltonian.
Relevant Equations
Hamiltonian, wave function, energy and Born radius
Hello!

I am stuck at the following question:
Show that the wave function is an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian if the two electrons do not interact, where the Hamiltonian is given as;
Schermafbeelding 2019-04-28 om 20.33.57.png

the wave function and given as;
Schermafbeelding 2019-04-28 om 20.34.45.png

and the energy and Born radius are given as:
Schermafbeelding 2019-04-28 om 20.51.31.png

and I used this for ∇ squared:
Schermafbeelding 2019-04-28 om 20.50.07.png

I am stuck at the end of the calculation. I know Z = 2, but somehow I don't end up with the energy, which you need to show that it is indeed an eigenfunction. This is what I get and where I am stuck at:
Schermafbeelding 2019-04-28 om 20.46.42.png

and even when I substitute a0 in this formula, I don't get the energy value. I honestly don't know where it did go wrong.
If someone is able to help, that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to substitute the two-electron wavefunction$$\psi(r_1,r_2)=\psi(r_1)\psi(r_2)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}\left( \frac{Z}{a_0}\right)^{3/2}e^{-\frac{Z}{a_0}r_1}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}\left( \frac{Z}{a_0}\right)^{3/2}e^{-\frac{Z}{a_0}r_2}$$in your Hamiltonian. The energy is a constant and should have no ##r## dependence.

Last edited:
But isn't it just the idea to split the Hamiltonian in electron 1 and electron 2 instead of the two-electron wave function?

Settho said:
I am stuck at the end of the calculation. I know Z = 2, but somehow I don't end up with the energy, which you need to show that it is indeed an eigenfunction. This is what I get and where I am stuck at:
View attachment 242595
The ##-\hbar^2 / 2m## term doesn't factor out of all terms.

DrClaude said:
The ##-\hbar^2 / 2m## term doesn't factor out of all terms.

Your simple suggestion made me solve the problem. Thank you so much!

1. What is the Eigenfunction of a 2-electron system?

The Eigenfunction of a 2-electron system is a mathematical function that describes the behavior of a system with two electrons. It represents the probability of finding the two electrons at different positions in space.

2. How is the Eigenfunction of a 2-electron system calculated?

The Eigenfunction of a 2-electron system is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the potential energy of the system and the interactions between the two electrons.

3. What is the significance of the Eigenfunction of a 2-electron system?

The Eigenfunction of a 2-electron system is significant because it provides important information about the behavior and properties of the system. It can be used to calculate various physical quantities, such as energy levels and probability distributions.

4. Can the Eigenfunction of a 2-electron system be solved analytically?

In most cases, the Eigenfunction of a 2-electron system cannot be solved analytically. Instead, numerical methods and approximations are used to find solutions that are close to the exact Eigenfunction.

5. How does the Eigenfunction of a 2-electron system differ from the Eigenfunction of a single electron system?

The Eigenfunction of a 2-electron system is more complex and takes into account the interactions between the two electrons, while the Eigenfunction of a single electron system only considers the potential energy of the electron. Additionally, the Eigenfunction of a 2-electron system has two variables (for the two electrons) instead of one variable in the case of a single electron system.