The electrical energy produced from chemical reactions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different metals in a lemon battery to generate electricity, and the discovery that different combinations of metals produce different voltages and power output. The question of whether all combinations result in the same total output of energy is also raised.
longchair
Hi there, new member here
(**TL,DR is available at the bottom of this post**)

As you may or may not know, if you were to put in a plate of zinc at one end and a plate of copper at the other, put them in an acid solution, electricity will be produced.
More of that stuff here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_battery

However, it doesn't necessarily have to be copper and zinc. You could use different metals (with different reactivity) including aluminum, lead, silver, etc;

After some experimentation, I found out that different combinations of metals produced different voltages and current, thus different power output as well.

But, do these different combinations of metals produce different amounts of total energy? Or is it that the total energy produce will be the same, and a lower power output results in the system lasting longer.

TL,DR
In the lemon battery (and most other metals), we can use different metals (with different re-activity) to generate electricity. Do all combinations result in the same total output of energy?

Thank you very much for your time
Any response will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
"After some experimentation, I found out that different combinations of metals produced different voltages and current, thus different power output as well."

Congratulations! You have re-discovered the electro-chemical series for metals.

Ok, sorry I guess I worded that wrong. It is obvious that this is true, so I apologize for that. I just wanted to point out that this indeed true, and that I have done some validation.
But does the total energy output differ anyways?
Thanks

Hi longchair,

The voltage is dependent upon the chemistries in the cell. The energy available is dependent on the quantities of the active constituents. A cell made with larger sheets of metal and more acid can deliver more energy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello new member,

Thank you for your question. I can provide some insight into the electrical energy produced from chemical reactions.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the production of electricity from chemical reactions is a form of energy conversion. In this case, the chemical energy stored in the zinc and copper plates is converted into electrical energy. This process is known as an electrochemical reaction.

The specific combination of metals used in the lemon battery (or any other type of battery) affects the reaction and determines the voltage and current produced. As you mentioned, different combinations can result in different power outputs. This is because the reactivity of the metals influences the rate at which the electrochemical reaction occurs.

In terms of the total energy produced, it is important to note that the total energy output will be the same regardless of the combination of metals used. This is because energy is conserved, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. So, while different combinations may produce varying power outputs, the total amount of energy produced will be constant.

I hope this answers your question. It is always fascinating to explore the different ways in which we can harness energy from chemical reactions. Thank you for sharing your experimentation and curiosity with us. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

1. What is "The electrical energy produced from chemical reactions"?

The electrical energy produced from chemical reactions is a form of energy that is generated through chemical reactions, where the energy released is converted into electrical energy.

2. How is electrical energy produced from chemical reactions?

Electrical energy is produced from chemical reactions through a process called electrochemistry, where a chemical reaction causes the movement of electrons from one substance to another, creating a flow of electrical current.

3. What are some examples of chemical reactions that produce electrical energy?

Some common examples of chemical reactions that produce electrical energy include batteries, fuel cells, and the electrolysis of water.

4. What factors affect the amount of electrical energy produced from chemical reactions?

The amount of electrical energy produced from chemical reactions can be affected by factors such as the type of reactants, the concentration of the reactants, and the temperature of the reaction.

5. What are the applications of electrical energy produced from chemical reactions?

The electrical energy produced from chemical reactions has many practical applications, such as powering electronic devices, providing backup power for buildings, and even powering vehicles and transportation systems.