The Endless Search for Pleasure: Understanding the Meaning of Life

In summary, the meaning of life comes down to satisfying our desires and not getting too bogged down in our thoughts. We should live our lives to the fullest and do what makes us happy.
expscv
meaning of life come think of it, it's just a fulfilment of pleasure, right?

pleasure is something we gain, and got sick of it, and search for better pleasure so life goes on. therefore it seems never had an end, like a gambling , which we only stop and leave if we r out of life force.

during that we learned techniques that we can stay alive, so then we can keep search for pleasure keep gambling...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm beginning to think you won't find the meaning of life by asking What is the meaning of life? People who are happy don't really ask it. And when I think about it I get depressed. I don't even think we're trying to look for meaning when we ask that question, we just use it to mull over things. Being idle in thought can detract from your feeling of satisfaction in life. Drive like Brits do.

What is the meaning of life? Nothing. Or, better, whatever you think it is. Just see to it that you don't enforce your meaning on others. Life is hard enough without egotistical powerseekers telling you how you should live. My goal in life is to learn as much physics and mathematics as I can and to be a good person (by the latter I mean ... help others, don't harm others, be polite, don't be greedy, treat people with respect, and stuff like that). My neighbour's goal in life involves spending and f**king. I don't see myself as morally superior to my neighbour (unless he treats people badly, which I don't think he does). As Brian of Nazareth once said, "You're all individuals. You're all different."

well, i thought about what the meaning of life was, and i looked in the dictionary, so here it is.

LIFE - n. the condition which distinguishes active animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.

There were many other explanations and examples but i wouldn't want to bore you.. sorry it's so unglamorous

haha cool guess there is no dictionary for it

move to PHilosophy?

to find meaning? You would never stop chasing your tail on that one would you? I agree a lot with Esperanto here. It is easy to think about this stuff way too much. There are certain questions that have been around as long as we have yet and no one has ever found an answer that can't be challenged.

Really this should be in philosophy but it could be considered a personal question. If I take this as a personal question, then it is to do the best that I can with what I have to offer. I used to worry about everything else but really I don't anymore.

or it may just be 42...but I think that was something else.

Last edited:
that was LIFE, THE UNIVERSE and EVERYTHING... life is only a third of 42, which is... 14.

well then, so long and thanks for all the fish. :-p

Related to The Endless Search for Pleasure: Understanding the Meaning of Life

1. What is the meaning of life?

The meaning of life is a highly debated and subjective topic. Some people believe it is to find happiness and pleasure, others think it is to fulfill a specific purpose or destiny. Ultimately, the meaning of life is what each individual makes it to be and can vary greatly from person to person.

2. Why do humans constantly search for pleasure?

Humans are biologically wired to seek pleasure. Our brains release dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure, when we engage in activities that are pleasurable. This can include anything from eating delicious food to spending time with loved ones. Additionally, seeking pleasure is a way for humans to cope with the challenges and difficulties of life.

3. Is the search for pleasure a selfish pursuit?

This is a complex question and the answer can vary depending on one's perspective. Some may argue that seeking pleasure for oneself can be seen as selfish, while others may argue that it is a necessary part of self-care and self-preservation. Ultimately, the answer may depend on the intentions and actions of the individual in their search for pleasure.

4. Can the search for pleasure lead to negative consequences?

While pleasure can bring joy and happiness, it is important to recognize that seeking pleasure can also have negative consequences. This can include becoming dependent on substances or behaviors that bring pleasure, neglecting responsibilities, and harming oneself or others in the pursuit of pleasure. It is important to find a balance and make choices that prioritize overall well-being.

5. Is there a limit to how much pleasure we can experience?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it can vary from person to person. Some individuals may find that they are able to experience a high level of pleasure without negative consequences, while others may reach a point where seeking pleasure becomes detrimental to their well-being. It is important to listen to one's own body and mind and make choices that promote overall health and happiness.