The first female rose-breasted grosbeak just showed up

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, the male common yellow-throats watch over their mates as they collect bugs to feed their nestlings.
turbo
Gold Member
I love these birds! The males are wonderful singers. The females are mottled brown and white, to help hide their nests against predators and protect the babies. They are coming north sooner and sooner though, and I wonder what will happen to the other birds as the weather gets warmer and allows other species to creep toward us earlier and earlier. As much as I like colorful song-birds, I want to see chickadees, nuthatches, creepers, and other species that have been fixtures since my childhood. Yes, I am greedy enough not to want change (at least not in my birds!).

I hope to get another nesting pair of common yellow-throats around here this year. They are quite diligent about patrolling my garden and picking bugs off the tomatoes, chilies, etc. Nice calls (not long enough to be "songs") and very good neighbors. The male would post himself on a garden-stake and watch over his mate while she would explore all the garden plants to gather bugs to feed the nestlings.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was at Pt Defiance Park last night. It was warm and sunny, which probably explains why there were so many juvenile males watching all the Double-Breasted Bed Thrashers.

lisab said:
I was at Pt Defiance Park last night. It was warm and sunny, which probably explains why there were so many juvenile males watching all the Double-Breasted Bed Thrashers.
:rofl:

lisab said:

Does that make them Hornithologists?

lisab said:
I must get that addendum to Peterson's. Is it published by Larry Flynt, or Hefner enterprises?

What is a rose-breasted grosbeak?

A rose-breasted grosbeak is a large, colorful songbird that belongs to the cardinal family. It is found in North America and is known for its vibrant black and white plumage, with a bright red patch on its chest.

Why is it significant that the first female rose-breasted grosbeak showed up?

Female rose-breasted grosbeaks are less common than males and are typically elusive, making it a rare and exciting sighting for bird enthusiasts. It also signifies the start of their breeding season.

Where do rose-breasted grosbeaks migrate from?

Rose-breasted grosbeaks are migratory birds that breed in eastern North America and spend their winters in Central and South America.

What do rose-breasted grosbeaks eat?

Rose-breasted grosbeaks primarily feed on insects, seeds, and fruits. They also have a special fondness for sunflower seeds, making them frequent visitors to bird feeders.

How can I attract rose-breasted grosbeaks to my backyard?

To attract rose-breasted grosbeaks, you can provide a variety of food sources, such as insect-filled trees and shrubs, sunflower seeds, and fresh fruits. It is also important to have a source of water, such as a bird bath, and to create a natural habitat with lots of trees and shrubs for them to perch and nest in.