The focal length of a microscope eyepiece

In summary, the length of a microscope pipe is $L=160\,\rm mm$, the transverse magnification of its objective $M_o = 40\times$, and the diameter $d_o = 5\,\rm mm$. The magnification of the ocular/eyepiece is $M_e = 10\times$. Using the transverse magnification equation, the focal length of the objective is found to be $4\,\rm mm$. The distance from the objective for a sharp image to form is approximately $4.1\,\rm mm$. The numerical aperture of the objective is calculated to be $0.52$. The exit pupil of the microscope is located at a distance of approximately $18\
TheSodesa
The question:
--------------------

The length of a microscope pipe is $L=160\,\rm mm$,
the transverse magnification of its objective $M_o = 40\times$
and the diameter $d_o = 5\,\rm mm$.
As for the ocular/eyepiece, its magnification is $M_e = 10\times$.

1. Find out the focal length of the objective $f_o$
2. At what distance from the objective must object be placed in order for a sharp image to form
3. What is the numerical aperture of the objective?
4. Where is the exit pupil of the microscope located,
if the near distance of an average person is $25\,\rm cm$?

An attempt at a solution:
--------------------------------------

1. Using the transverse magnification equation for a thin lens,
the focal length of the objective can be found out to be
\begin{equation}
f_o = -\frac L {M_o} = -\frac{160\,\rm mm}{-40} = 4\,\rm mm\,.
\end{equation}
2. Using the focal length $f_o$, if the distance of the image
formed by the objective is known to be $s_i = f_o + L$ we can solve for $s_o$ using the thin lens equation:
\begin{equation}
s_o
= \left(\frac 1 {f_o} - \frac 1 {f_o + L}\right)^{-1}
\approx 4.1\,\rm mm\,.
\end{equation}
3. The numerical aperture $\rm NA$ is defined as
\begin{equation}
{\rm NA} = n_i\sin\theta_{\rm max},
\end{equation}
where $n_i$ is the refractive index of the substance surrounding the object.
Here it is assumed to be air, so $n_i \approx 1$.
The maximum angle where light from a point on the lens axis can penetrate the objective lens can be found out from the diameter of the lens and the object distance:
\begin{equation}
\theta_{\rm max} = \tan^{-1}\left(\frac{d_o}{2s_o}\right) \approx 0.548,
\end{equation}
so
\begin{equation}
{\rm NA} = \sin\left(0.548\right) \approx 0.52\,.
\end{equation}
4. This is where I got stuck.
The definition of the exit pupil is the image of the objective as viewed through the eyepiece. For this I need the distance between the eyepiece and objective $s_{oe} = f_o + L + f_e$, which again requires knowldge of $f_e$,
the focal length of the eyepiece, but I can't seem to figure out a way to calculate this. What I tried was to calculate teh focal length using transverse magnification:
\begin{equation}
f_e = M_ex_o = M_e(L + f_o) = 1.64\rm\,m,
\end{equation}
and using this I calculated the distance of the exit pupil to be
\begin{equation}
s_i = \left(\frac 1 {f_o} - \frac 1 {f_o + L + f_e}\right)^{-1} \approx 18\,\rm m,
\end{equation}
which is preposterous, as the eye would have to be placed this far from the microscope. I would not even be able to see the microscope itself from this distance without my glasses...

What I didn't try was to use the near distance of an average person $s_l = 25\,\rm cm$ to my advantage, but I'm not sure how to go about this. I guess the microscope could be though of as a pair of correcting eyeglasses, but which part of the microscope should this function belong to?

Attachments

• microscope.png
    microscope.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 915
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I managed to solve this. I assumed that the eyepiece forms a virtual image of the objective at the near point of the eye and used that distance to calculate ##f_e##.

1. What is the focal length of a microscope eyepiece?

The focal length of a microscope eyepiece refers to the distance between the eyepiece lens and the focal point, where the image is in focus. It is typically measured in millimeters (mm).

2. How does the focal length of a microscope eyepiece affect the magnification?

The focal length of a microscope eyepiece is one of the factors that determine the magnification of the microscope. A longer focal length will result in a lower magnification, while a shorter focal length will result in a higher magnification.

3. Can the focal length of a microscope eyepiece be adjusted?

No, the focal length of a microscope eyepiece is a fixed value determined by the design of the eyepiece. However, some microscopes may come with interchangeable eyepieces with different focal lengths, allowing for different levels of magnification.

4. How does the focal length of a microscope eyepiece affect the field of view?

The focal length of a microscope eyepiece also affects the field of view, or the area of the specimen that can be seen through the microscope. A shorter focal length will result in a wider field of view, while a longer focal length will result in a narrower field of view.

5. Is there an ideal focal length for a microscope eyepiece?

The ideal focal length for a microscope eyepiece will depend on the specific needs of the user. A longer focal length may be preferred for a larger field of view and lower magnification, while a shorter focal length may be preferred for higher magnification and a narrower field of view.