The force necessary to bend a scaffold pole

In summary: London, UK).In summary, the conversation revolves around the force necessary to bend a scaffold pole. The speaker has a barn made of curved scaffold poles and wants to calculate the force causing the bending. They mention the torsional strength of the pole and the shear resistance as factors, and also mention trying to bend a removed section of the pole to determine the force. They also mention the potential use of this scenario as an exam question and express gratitude for a suggested solution.
Kevin Gutridge
Hi, I have a question on the force necessary to bend a scaffold pole.

I have a barn made of curved scaffold poles approximately 20 ft high at the apex and 30 ft wide at the base, having a hemispherical cross section. These ribs are spaced approximately 7ft apart.

Along the sides of the structure are horizontal poles running the length of the structure, spaced approximately at 5ft intervals vertically. The structure is covered with corrugated iron sheets.

I have removed a section of pole from one rib between the ground and the first horizontal pole. The pole bent downwards approximately 1.5 mm.

I would like to calculate the force that is acting on the central pole causing the bending, this would give me an idea as to the weight acting on it.

I realize there are two main forces resisting the bending. The torsional strength of the pole and the shear résistance to the creation of the rhomboids from the previous squares. I have the torsional strength which is approximately 5 kN.

This would make a brilliant exam question in the UK for a physics exam, but I did mine in 1974.

Can someone help me as I can''t find my old school books...

Thanks in advance

Kevin (London, UK).

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have removed a section of pole from one rib between the ground and the first horizontal pole

I'd try bending the pole you removed to see how much force is required.

CWatters said:
I'd try bending the pole you removed to see how much force is required.
It is not the same length and doesn't have the support of the structure above, very good simple solution though, may do it anyway. Thanks Mate.

Kevin

1. What is the force necessary to bend a scaffold pole?

The force necessary to bend a scaffold pole depends on several factors, including the material and thickness of the pole, the length of the pole, and the amount of weight or pressure applied. Generally, a scaffold pole can withstand around 3,000 pounds of force before bending.

2. How is the force necessary to bend a scaffold pole determined?

The force necessary to bend a scaffold pole is determined through a process called stress analysis. This involves calculating the maximum amount of stress a scaffold pole can withstand before bending or breaking. Factors such as weight distribution, material properties, and support structures are taken into account in this analysis.

3. Can a scaffold pole be bent without breaking?

Yes, a scaffold pole can be bent without breaking if the force applied is within the pole's bending capacity. However, repeatedly bending a scaffold pole can weaken it and increase the likelihood of it breaking in the future.

4. How can the force necessary to bend a scaffold pole be increased?

The force necessary to bend a scaffold pole can be increased by using a thicker and stronger pole material, decreasing the length of the pole, or providing additional support or reinforcement to the pole. However, it is important to follow safety regulations and guidelines when increasing the force on a scaffold pole.

5. What happens if a scaffold pole is bent beyond its capacity?

If a scaffold pole is bent beyond its capacity, it can permanently deform or even break. This can lead to a collapse of the scaffold structure, causing serious injury or damage. It is important to always use scaffold poles within their bending capacity to ensure safety.