The force of a Hurricane on a person

In summary, during a hurricane, winds can reach speeds of 150 km/h and exert a force of 1565N on a person with an area of 1.50m by 0.50m assuming that all the momentum of the wind is transferred to the person and the wind is brought to rest. Additional assumptions must be made to determine if the person will be knocked off their feet, such as their weight and the ground conditions.
kudoushinichi88

Homework Statement

During a hurricane, winds can whip horizontally at speeds of 150 km/h. Given that
the density of air is 1.20 kg/m3 and the wind after striking the person is brought to
rest, calculate the force of the wind on the person. You may assume the person's
area to be 1.50 m high by 0.50 m wide. Will this person be knocked off his feet if
he is not holding on to any support? State any further assumptions you have made
regarding the person and the ground.

Homework Equations

Density and momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's how I derive the equation for the force. To me, it looked like nonsense, but the units checks out. I am not sure if what I am doing is correct and if it is, I am not sure how to justify it.

Density of air is

[tex]\rho=\frac{M}{V}[/tex]

where M is mass and V is volume. We know that volume is Area x length. In this case, area is the area of the person and the length is speed of the wind v multiplied by the time the wind is hitting the person.

So far we have

[tex]\rho Al=M[/tex];

[tex]\rho Avt=M[/tex]

We know that momentum is Mv, so we multiply v on both sides of the equation. We also know that Force is rate of change of momentum. So if we take the t as dt and divide both sides with that, we get

[tex]\rho Av^2=\frac{Mv}{dt}[/tex]

And finally,

[tex]F=\rho Av^2[/tex]

This gives me a numerical value of 1565N. This force will of course cause the person to be knocked of his feet.

Is it correct to say I am assuming that all the momentum of the wind is transferred to the person?

Physics news on Phys.org
kudoushinichi88 said:

Homework Statement

During a hurricane, winds can whip horizontally at speeds of 150 km/h. Given that
the density of air is 1.20 kg/m3 and the wind after striking the person is brought to
rest, calculate the force of the wind on the person. You may assume the person's
area to be 1.50 m high by 0.50 m wide. Will this person be knocked off his feet if
he is not holding on to any support? State any further assumptions you have made
regarding the person and the ground.

Homework Equations

Density and momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's how I derive the equation for the force. To me, it looked like nonsense, but the units checks out. I am not sure if what I am doing is correct and if it is, I am not sure how to justify it.

Density of air is

[tex]\rho=\frac{M}{V}[/tex]

where M is mass and V is volume. We know that volume is Area x length. In this case, area is the area of the person and the length is speed of the wind v multiplied by the time the wind is hitting the person.

So far we have

[tex]\rho Al=M[/tex];

[tex]\rho Avt=M[/tex]

We know that momentum is Mv, so we multiply v on both sides of the equation. We also know that Force is rate of change of momentum. So if we take the t as dt and divide both sides with that, we get

[tex]\rho Av^2=\frac{Mv}{dt}[/tex]

And finally,

[tex]F=\rho Av^2[/tex]

This gives me a numerical value of 1565N. This force will of course cause the person to be knocked of his feet.

Is it correct to say I am assuming that all the momentum of the wind is transferred to the person?

That is the correct answer for the force assuming that the momentum of the wind is transferred to the person.
The key wording in the question being that the wind is "brought to rest".
That would be unlikely in reality.
1565N is the weight of a mass of about 160kg.
An adult male can have a mass of anywhere from about 70kg upwards.
What assumptions can you make to determine if he will be blown over or not?

What factors determine the force of a hurricane on a person?

The force of a hurricane on a person is determined by several factors including the wind speed, the size and intensity of the storm, the location and terrain of where the person is located, and the individual's physical characteristics such as height and weight.

What is the maximum wind speed that a person can withstand during a hurricane?

The maximum wind speed that a person can withstand during a hurricane varies depending on the individual's physical characteristics. However, most experts agree that sustained winds of 74 miles per hour or higher can be life-threatening and should be avoided.

How does the force of a hurricane on a person compare to other natural disasters?

The force of a hurricane on a person can be similar to that of a tornado or a strong earthquake. However, hurricanes typically last longer and cover a larger area, resulting in a greater overall impact on individuals and communities.

Can a person survive being in the direct path of a hurricane?

It is highly unlikely for a person to survive being in the direct path of a hurricane, especially if they are not taking proper safety precautions. The force of a hurricane can be extremely destructive and can cause severe injuries or even death.

How can someone protect themselves from the force of a hurricane?

The best way to protect oneself from the force of a hurricane is to evacuate to a safe location outside of the storm's path. If evacuation is not possible, it is important to follow proper safety protocols such as staying indoors, away from windows, and having an emergency supply kit on hand.