The greatest power will be dissipated in the resistor if R =?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of transformers to match impedance in RF circuits. The speaker presents the relationship between power and resistance in the primary and secondary coils of a transformer and how it can be used to deduce the resistance. They also mention the importance of impedance matching and how it can be achieved by adjusting the impedance value on one winding. However, another speaker suggests a more common approach of recognizing the relationship between load voltage and primary voltage, as well as load current and primary current.
hidemi
Homework Statement
A source with an impedance of 100 Ω is connected to the primary coil of a transformer and a
resistance R is connected to the secondary coil. If the transformer has 500 turns in its primary coil and 100 turns in its secondary coil the greatest power will be dissipated in the resistor if R =?

The answer is 4Ω.
Relevant Equations
N1/N2 = V1/V2 = I2/I1
P = I^2*R
Since the power generated by both primary coil and secondary coil would be the same in a transformer, so I used the relationships stated above to deduce the resistance R in secondary coil.

P1 = N2^2 *100 = 100^2 * 100
P2 = N1^2 *100 = 500^2 * R
R = 4

Let me know if my thoughts here are correct, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, that's it for the transformer part. Then you add the part about impedance matching. The greatest power delivered is when the load impedance equals the source impedance.

Transformers are often used to help match impedance in RF circuits, just like this. In analysis, you can move an impedance from one transformer winding over to the other if you adjust it's value by N2.

Likes hidemi
On second thought, your answer is correct, but I'm not convinced that your math matches the words you used to describe it. The more usual approach is to recognize that the load voltage is N times less than the primary voltage and the load current is 1/N times the primary current.

Likes hidemi
DaveE said:
On second thought, your answer is correct, but I'm not convinced that your math matches the words you used to describe it. The more usual approach is to recognize that the load voltage is N times less than the primary voltage and the load current is 1/N times the primary current.
Thanks for your in-depth analyses!

Likes DaveE

1. What is the formula for calculating power dissipation in a resistor?

The formula for calculating power dissipation in a resistor is P = I²R, where P is power in watts, I is current in amps, and R is resistance in ohms.

2. How does the value of resistance affect power dissipation in a resistor?

The greater the value of resistance, the greater the power dissipation in a resistor. This is because as resistance increases, more energy is required to push the same amount of current through the resistor, resulting in a higher power dissipation.

3. What is the relationship between power dissipation and voltage in a resistor?

Power dissipation in a resistor is directly proportional to the square of the voltage across it. This means that as voltage increases, power dissipation also increases.

4. How does the material of a resistor affect its power dissipation?

The material of a resistor can affect its power dissipation by influencing its resistance. For example, a resistor made of a material with high conductivity will have a lower resistance and therefore a lower power dissipation compared to a resistor made of a material with lower conductivity.

5. What happens to the power dissipation in a resistor if the current is reduced?

If the current in a resistor is reduced, the power dissipation will also decrease. This is because less energy is being used to push the current through the resistor, resulting in a lower power dissipation.