The Hardest Exam you ever sat....

• Thread starter DrSuage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Sat
In summary, Pepper Mint was not very successful on her probability exam. She was not the only one who struggled and most people were not able to answer any questions.
DrSuage
What was it? What was the context?

I'd say mine was the Lie Theory and Particle Physics paper I sat today. Universal consensus was that most people felt they'd be lucky to get over 50%. I reckon I did maybe mid 60's, which doesn't seem to be that bad relative to what other people are saying, but I went into the exam hoping for high 80's.

What were the factors that made it hard? I would say our lecturer set challenging problems with minimal "bookwork" but also that I was very tired on the day due to a dreadful nights sleep the night before.
Coupled with a paper that involved some very long calculations (21 dimensional weight diagram for reps so(5) ) and I was pushed for time.

I've done worse in exams before but that was because I was unprepared.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does high school count? I'm always worried about exams that require me to prove theorems and/or verify identities. Sometimes I find myself going in circles until I eventually realize the horrible truth: I'm stuck :olduhh:

Likes Pepper Mint
The hardest exams I've ever had weren't from math or science classes, but history classes. Having to answer a half dozen short answer questions and write two fully developed essays in 2 hours is difficult. Even if you know the material in and out and studied extensively, it's so much to accomplish in such a short time frame.

Likes Pepper Mint
of course high school counts! Its about how relatively hard it was for you at the time.

Same here, all my exams were hard to me. I went into them always thinking I could reach at least 90% but the results always disappointed me, 60% at most. I failed at several and had to retake the courses.
Now in my daily routine, I find detecting logical fallacies is the hardest exam to sit. You can always ask, say, an adviser/supervisor/consultant etc any problem you run into and you will always have answers from him.

Last edited:
Pepper Mint said:
Same here, all my exams were hard to me. I went into them always thinking I could reach at least 90% but the results always disappointed me, 60% at most. I failed at several and had to retake the courses.
Now in my daily routine, I find detecting logical fallacies are hardest exams to sit. You can always ask, say, an adviser/supervisor/consultant etc any problem you run into and you will always have answers from him.
Are you still in school, Pepper Mint?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Are you still in school, Pepper Mint?
I am still too young to be a professor but already too old to go back to school.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Gotcha :)

You're never to old to go back to school, though.

Likes Pepper Mint
My first probability exam was tough.

Putnam exam...I got a 0. So did 50% of everyone else who took it...

Likes axmls
Hercuflea said:
Putnam exam...I got a 0. So did 50% of everyone else who took it...

Oh dear. I'm an engineering major and I was overjoyed when I got a 12 two years ago, so I took it again this past year and wasn't able to answer a single question.

In a large hall with several subjects. The hired help gave us the wrong exam. All in my subject thought they studied wrong content sighs were heard all around the room.

What is considered the hardest exam in the world?

The title of "hardest exam in the world" is subjective and varies depending on the individual's experience and field of study. Some commonly cited challenging exams include the United States Medical Licensing Exam, the Chartered Financial Analyst exam, and the All Souls Prize Fellowship Exam at Oxford University.

What makes an exam difficult?

There are several factors that can contribute to an exam being considered difficult. These may include the complexity and depth of the material covered, the time constraints, the format of the exam, and the level of competition among test-takers.

How can I prepare for a difficult exam?

Preparation for a difficult exam often requires a combination of studying, time management, and stress management techniques. It is important to start studying well in advance and to prioritize the material based on its importance and difficulty. Practice exams and seeking help from professors or tutors can also be helpful in preparing for a difficult exam.

What are some strategies for taking a difficult exam?

Strategies for taking a difficult exam may include carefully reading and understanding the instructions, managing time effectively, focusing on the most important and challenging questions first, and staying calm and confident. It is also important to review and double-check answers before submitting the exam.

How can I overcome test anxiety for a difficult exam?

Test anxiety is a common issue for many students facing a difficult exam. To overcome test anxiety, it may be helpful to practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and positive self-talk. It is also important to get enough rest, eat a healthy meal before the exam, and to avoid comparing oneself to others during the test.