The Harmonic Overhang Effect in Stacked Books

In summary, the conversation discusses a unique effect where a stack of books is flared out to create a staircase, with the top book seemingly floating. The name of this effect is called "Harmonic Overhang" and it was published in Science magazine under the title "The Joys of Longer Hangovers".
Ulfsark
Hello,
I'm curious as to the name of a particular "effect."

Imagine a stack of 10 books, uniform in weight and size, each 9 inches across. Now Imagine flaring them out in one inch intervals, forming a staircase. The topmost book is going to be one inch out from the bottom most book, and effectively "floating." What is the name of this? I know its not a keystone, but similar. I understand how it works, but i just don't know the name of it. Thank you :)

A picture of my own creation of the effect can be viewed here: http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu252/ulfsark9/StackedBooks.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The standard solution limit is the series 1/2 plus 1/3 plus 1/4 plus 1/5 etc. But a better one was published in Science magazine under the title "The Joys of Longer Hangovers"
Bob S

See longer hangover here (see post #8):
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=305336

Last edited:
Harmonic Overhang! Thank you!

Related to The Harmonic Overhang Effect in Stacked Books

1. What is the "Floating Stacked Books Effect"?

The "Floating Stacked Books Effect" is a visual illusion in which books appear to be floating or levitating on top of one another without any visible support. This effect is created by carefully positioning the books in a way that obscures the support structure, giving the illusion of weightlessness.

2. How is the effect achieved?

The effect is achieved by placing books on a transparent support structure, such as clear acrylic rods or wires, and carefully arranging them in a way that hides the support. The positioning of the books is crucial to creating the illusion of floating, as any visible support will break the effect.

3. Can the effect be recreated at home?

Yes, the "Floating Stacked Books Effect" can be recreated at home with the right materials and careful positioning. However, it may take some trial and error to achieve the desired illusion. It is important to ensure that the support structure is strong enough to hold the weight of the books and that the books are evenly distributed to maintain the illusion.

4. Are there any other names for this effect?

Yes, this effect is also known as the "Levitating Books Effect" or the "Invisible Bookshelf Effect". These names all refer to the same visual illusion of books appearing to float without any visible support.

5. How is the "Floating Stacked Books Effect" used in science?

The "Floating Stacked Books Effect" is not used in any scientific experiments or studies. It is simply a visual illusion that is often used in magic tricks, optical illusions, and for aesthetic purposes. However, the principles of balance and positioning used in creating this effect can be applied in various scientific fields, such as architecture and engineering, to create structures that appear to defy gravity.