The Hilbert space of non-relativistic QM

In summary, the Hilbert space of a massive spin 0 particle in non-relativistic QM is a space which can be shown to be a Hillbert space, actually the single (up to a unitary equivalence) infinite-dimensional separable Hilbert space.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What exactly is the Hilbert space of a massive spin 0 particle in non-relativistic QM? The following construction defines a Hilbert space H, but is it the right one? We could e.g use some subspace of H instead. And what if we use Riemann integrals instead of Lebesgue integrals?

Let G be the set of measurable functions [itex]f:\mathbb R^3\rightarrow\mathbb C[/itex] such that [itex]|f|^2[/itex] is Lebesgue integrable. Define an equivalence relation on G by saying that f and g are equivalent if the set on which f-g is non-zero has Lebesgue measure 0, and define H to be the set of such equivalence classes. Define the inner product of two arbitrary equivalence classes [itex]\bar f[/itex] and [itex]\bar g[/itex] by

[tex]\langle \bar f|\bar g\rangle=\int\limits_{-\infty}^\infty d^3x f^*(x) g(x) [/tex]

where f and g are arbitrary functions in the equivalence classes [itex]\bar f[/itex] and [itex]\bar g[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Your construction would lead to the L^2 (R^3) which can be shown to be a Hillbert space, actually the single (up to a unitary equivalence) infinite-dimensional separable Hilbert space.

Why do we need such spaces in QM ? Good question. I believe this mathematical construct has been the most successful environment for a theory of atomic (and subatomic) processes.

bigubau said:
Your construction would lead to the L^2 (R^3) which can be shown to be a Hillbert space, actually the single (up to a unitary equivalence) infinite-dimensional separable Hilbert space.
Can you elaborate a bit? In what sense is any complex infinite-dimensional separable Hilbert space equivalent to this one? I looked up "unitary equivalence" and I don't see a definition that applies to Hilbert spaces, but there's one that applies to representations of groups.

Edit: OK, I get it. I forgot for a moment that a Hilbert space isomorphism and a unitary operator is (almost) the same thing. (An isomorphism is a linear surjection [itex]U:X\rightarrow Y[/itex] such that [itex]\langle Ux,Uy\rangle=\langle x,y\rangle[/itex], and a unitary operator is the same thing but with Y=X). So you just meant that all separable infinite-dimensional Hilbert spaces are isomorphic to each other. I actually didn't know that.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
Can you elaborate a bit? In what sense is any complex infinite-dimensional separable Hilbert space equivalent to this one?

Hilbert spaces [itex]H_1[/itex] and [itex]H_2[/itex] are said to be isomorphic if there is an onto linear mapping [itex]U : H_1 \rightarrow H_2[/itex] such [itex]\left< U \psi , U \phi \right>_2 = \left< \psi , \phi \right>_1[/itex] for every [itex]\psi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] in [itex]H_1[/itex]. Such a [itex]U[/itex] is said to be unitary.

Edit Fredrik snuck in with an edit while I was composing the above. :biggrin:

It's not quite true that all Hilbert spaces are isomorphic (unitarily equivalent) to the Hilbert space that you constructed in your first post, but it is true that all separable Hilbert spaces are isomorphic to it. A topological space is said to be separable if it has a countable dense subset. A Hilbert space is separable iff it has a countable orthonormal basis.

From Reed and Simon I:
The following question often puzzles students of functional analysis. If all infinite-dimensional separable Hilbert spaces are the same, why do we talk about them? ... The answer is that we are often interested not just in the space but in some other structures, for example some bounded operators on the space.

Thus, the questions in your original post aren't really affected by this isomorphism property.

Last edited:
Thanks George. I figured out most of it before you posted, but you clarified a few things. I knew that "having a dense subset" meant something about countable bases of the Hilbert space, but I didn't know exactly what. The Reed & Simon quote and your comment to it is are very interesting. I started this thread thinking that different physical systems are represented by different (not isomorphic) Hilbert spaces, but I was clearly wrong about that.

Related to The Hilbert space of non-relativistic QM

1. What is the Hilbert space in non-relativistic quantum mechanics?

The Hilbert space in non-relativistic quantum mechanics is a mathematical concept that represents the set of all possible states of a quantum mechanical system. It is a vector space with an inner product, which allows for the calculation of probabilities of different outcomes of measurements on the system.

2. How is the Hilbert space related to wave functions in quantum mechanics?

The wave function of a quantum mechanical system is a mathematical representation of the state of the system in the Hilbert space. The square of the wave function gives the probability distribution of finding the system in a particular state upon measurement.

3. Can the Hilbert space be visualized or represented in physical space?

No, the Hilbert space is an abstract mathematical concept and cannot be represented or visualized in physical space. It is a mathematical tool used to describe and understand the behavior of quantum mechanical systems.

4. Are there different types of Hilbert spaces in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are different types of Hilbert spaces in quantum mechanics, depending on the specific system being studied. For example, the Hilbert space for a system with a finite number of states will be different from that of a system with an infinite number of states.

5. What is the significance of the Hilbert space in quantum mechanics?

The Hilbert space is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that allows for the mathematical description of the behavior and properties of quantum systems. It is essential for understanding and predicting phenomena such as superposition and entanglement, and it plays a crucial role in the development of quantum technologies.