The Internet has made students lazy

In summary, Carr's article discusses the effects of the internet on student's ability to think deeply and critically. He argues that the internet has made students less thoughtful and lazy. Disconnecting from the world and focusing on screens instead of interacting with people has negative effects on learning.
PainterGuy
Hi,

I remember some years ago I read a very informative news article online where a professor from some USA university was complaining about the doctorate students that how their research is so shallow these days. He was trying to relate it to the effects of internet. He was trying to point out how the internet has made the students lazy and less of a deep thinkers. Could you help me locate that article or anything related? I did Google but couldn't find anything. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
These are some good articles and I really appreciate your help. But none of these is close to the one I was referring to in my first post. Thanks

Likes PainterGuy
Is this the article?
Nope.
What about this one?
Not that one either.
How about this?
Nope.

Do you have anything else for people to go on?

Maybe it's reference to
Nicholas Carr, who write "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" (Atlantic magazine) and
"The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains" (book).
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127370598
https://elearnmag.acm.org/archive.cfm?aid=2635804 [one review]

Carr is mentioned in https://www.alphr.com/science/1002312/does-the-internet-make-our-brains-lazy (a link posted by @jedishrfu ).

(Carr is listed as a Richmond Visiting Professor at https://faculty.williams.edu/2018-19-new-faculty/ )I haven't read the references above.(Waiting for my "Nope." :wink:)

Likes PainterGuy and jedishrfu
Here's an audio talk by the late Prof Clifford Nass on the Myth of Multitasking:

His comments were related to student papers and how student writing has degraded into disorganized thoughts, disconnected sentences... all because the student multi-tasked their way through the paper being interrupted repeatedly by texts and phone messages and other distractions.

Likes PainterGuy and pinball1970
I've been searching google in spanish. No clue. Maybe Mozilla?. Haven't investigated that path

• Haha
Likes PainterGuy
Mozilla's a browser maybe try ecosia, bing or duckduckgo for searches.

• Haha
Likes PainterGuy
Apart from the specific question, I am amused that it's the internet that makes students lazy. Pre-internet, there was no laziness.

("It's these doggone scrolls that make students lazy. Why, when I was a boy we had to use stone tablets!")

• Haha
Likes diogenesNY, phinds, StatGuy2000 and 5 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Is this the article?
Nope.
What about this one?
Not that one either.
How about this?
Nope.

Do you have anything else for people to go on?
It’s almost as if the internet has made OP lazy...

• Haha
Likes phinds, Frigus, jedishrfu and 4 others
In my day, it was everything related to work that made me lazy.

Likes mcastillo356, BillTre and PainterGuy
Thank you, everyone.

Some of the mentioned sources are really informative. I was giving it a try to find the article which I read once but the provided sources and articles seem equally good. Anyway, thanks.

Likes pinball1970 and jedishrfu
Unfortunately, that's true. The Internet can be helpful if you use it properly.

Likes PainterGuy
Perhaps it is not so much the internet per se but websites like PF that really make students lazy. How many times have we had questions asked about a subject that we may have been very fuzzy on and have gone to the internet to easily find an answer to an OP question. Some people don't even try when they think someone has the answer.

Likes PainterGuy, jedishrfu, etotheipi and 1 other person

Likes PainterGuy and BillTre
gleem said:
Perhaps it is not so much the internet per se but websites like PF that really make students lazy. How many times have we had questions asked about a subject that we may have been very fuzzy on and have gone to the internet to easily find an answer to an OP question. Some people don't even try when they think someone has the answer.

Thats a really good insight. For me though, doing the search and reviewing what I found improved my learning in some areas where I was weak but I guess that’s often why teachers teach For the joy of learning a topic more deeply.

Likes PainterGuy

1. How has the internet made students lazy?

The internet has made students lazy by providing them with easy access to information, eliminating the need for critical thinking and research skills. With just a few clicks, students can find the answer to any question, making them less likely to engage in deep learning and critical thinking.

2. Is there evidence to support the claim that the internet has made students lazy?

Yes, numerous studies have shown that excessive internet use can lead to decreased motivation, poor time management skills, and a decline in academic performance. Students who rely too heavily on the internet for information are also less likely to retain the information long-term.

3. Are there any positive effects of the internet on students?

Yes, the internet has many positive effects on students, such as providing access to a vast amount of information and resources, making communication and collaboration easier, and promoting self-directed learning. However, excessive use and dependence on the internet can lead to negative consequences.

4. Can the internet be used in a way that doesn't make students lazy?

Yes, the internet can be used as a valuable tool for learning if used in moderation and with proper guidance. Teachers and parents can encourage students to use the internet for research and critical thinking rather than just seeking quick answers. Setting limits and teaching time management skills can also help prevent laziness.

5. How can we combat the laziness caused by the internet in students?

To combat the laziness caused by the internet, it is essential to promote a balance between online and offline activities. Encouraging students to engage in physical activities, hobbies, and face-to-face interactions can help reduce their dependence on the internet. It is also crucial to teach critical thinking and research skills to help students navigate the vast amount of information available online.