The largest n such that K_n can be expressed as the union of

In summary: Since we want to color the graph with only 2 colors, we get the inequality n <= g_1 g_2 ... g_k. The minimum g_i is 2 for each i, so the maximum for the right side is 2^k.In summary, the theorem states that a complete graph can be represented as a union of k bipartite graphs if and only if the number of vertices in the graph is less than or equal to 2^k, which is the minimum number of colors required to color the graph. This can be viewed intuitively through the concept of product coloring, where the product of the number of colors used for each bipartite graph must be greater than or equal to the number of
Terrell
there's a proof provided, but i want to know the intuition as to why it is 2^k.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think there is something missing in the question.

mfb said:
I think there is something missing in the question.
The largest n such that K_n can be expressed as the union of bipartite graph is 2^k where k is the number of bipartite graphs

Plug in some values,
Draw some examples,
Although it can't be done,
Try to get some counter examples..
And ah ha!
In a moment or two,
You'll get the intuition!

there's a proof provided, but i want to know the intuition as to why it is 2^k.

##K_n## is a complete graph and the theorem claims that this can be expressed as a union of ##k## bipartite graphs if and only if ##n\leq 2^k##.

So, in order to get a more intuitive view, I'd advise to solve for ##k## and see the minimum number of bipartite graphs sufficient to cover ##K_n##.
You can take some values for ##k## and see where it goes, doing some required representations along the way. The gist of the theorem is that if the inequality gets violated there can't be a coverage of ##K_n## with ##k## bipartite graphs.

QuantumQuest said:
##K_n## is a complete graph and the theorem claims that this can be expressed as a union of ##k## bipartite graphs if and only if ##n\leq 2^k##.

So, in order to get a more intuitive view, I'd advise to solve for ##k## and see the minimum number of bipartite graphs sufficient to cover ##K_n##.
You can take some values for ##k## and see where it goes, doing some required representations along the way. The gist of the theorem is that if the inequality gets violated there can't be a coverage of ##K_n## with ##k## bipartite graphs.
i did some calculations but it still just won't sit well with me. i did some research and found that there's 2^k colors since each bipartite graph have 2 colors and there are k such bipartite graphs. after some thinking, it became obvious that the number of vertices should be less than 2^k because each vertex can appear in more than one bipartite graph thus it can have more than 1 color. lastly, for the equality case, there are calculations that did satisfy that ,but i seem to lack the understanding as to why.

It seems like you've hit the nail on the head: a graph can be represented as a union of k bipartite graphs if and only if it is 2^k-colorable.

For one direction, say a graph is a union of k bipartite graphs. For each bipartite graph we can 2-color it. Then for the original graph, for each vertex we note what color it is in each of the bipartite graphs, and the final color is the ordered k-tuple of binary colors, so that is a 2^k-coloring. Going the other direction, if a graph is 2^k colorable, we can arbitrarily assign each of the 2^k colors to an ordered k-tuple of binary colors. Then we define the ith bipartite graph by saying vertices u and v are connected if and only if they are connected in the original graph and the ith members of their k-tuples are different. So the graph is a union of k bipartite graphs.

I would say the intuition is basically the notion of product coloring; if I can color G with g colors and H with h colors, I can color the union with gh colors by looking at the product coloring. Repeating the process, if G_1, G_2, ..., G_k can be colored with g_1, g_2, ..., g_k colors, then the union of the G_i's can be colored with g_1 g_2 ... g_k colors by taking the product coloring.

1. What is K_n in the context of this question?

K_n refers to the complete graph with n vertices. This means that every pair of vertices in the graph is connected by an edge.

2. What does it mean for K_n to be expressed as the union of other graphs?

This means that K_n can be broken down into smaller, simpler graphs that, when combined, make up the complete graph with n vertices.

3. How do you determine the largest n for which K_n can be expressed as the union of smaller graphs?

The largest n can be determined by finding the maximum number of edges that can be added to smaller graphs while still maintaining a complete graph with n vertices.

4. Are there any constraints or limitations on the smaller graphs that can be used to express K_n?

Yes, the smaller graphs must also be complete graphs. This means that every pair of vertices in the smaller graph must be connected by an edge.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding the largest n such that K_n can be expressed as the union of smaller graphs?

Yes, this concept has applications in network design, specifically in determining the minimum number of connections needed for a complete network. It can also be applied in the study of social networks and communication systems.