The Latest Higgs Boson Mass Measurements

In summary: Pedantic but fair.In summary, the new Large Hadron Collider Run-2 measurements of the Higgs boson mass are more accurate, by about 29%.
ohwilleke
Gold Member
It is summer conference season for physicists and one of the highlights this time around is the first set of new Large Hadron Collider Run-2 measurements of the Higgs boson mass.

The Status Quo

At the end of Run-1 at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the combined estimate of the Higgs boson mass from all sources was 125.09 +/- 0.24 GeV.

The New Results

New measurements from ATLAS and CMS (the two main experimental groups at the LHC) of the Higgs mass were announced this week, and the error weighted average of those mass measurements is now 125.14 +/- 0.17 GeV, a global best fit value that is about 29% more accurate than the previous state of the art measurement after LHC Run 1. The error in the new combined Higgs boson mass measurements is less than 0.14%.

The one sigma margin of error was +/- 0.28 GeV for the ATLAS result and +/- 0.22 GeV for the CMS result. The latest ATLAS measurement of the Higgs boson mass is 124.98 GeV and the latest CMS measurement is 125.26 GeV.

(This is based upon slides from a conference presentation. It is not clear to me if the pre-print papers are available at this point, but I haven't seen them anywhere yet. Often pre-prints are withheld for long enough to make the conference presentation the grand reveal of new experimental results.)

The slides also report on the experimental measures of the Higgs boson couplings with various other kinds of fundamental particles.

Likes DennisN and Lord Crc
Physics news on Phys.org
ohwilleke said:
29% more accurate

You mean 29% more precise, I think.

Vanadium 50 said:
Is there some rumour/hint of systematic bias?

The quoted error is a statement about precision. No need to read anything else into it.

ohwilleke said:
and the error weighted average of those mass measurements
Be careful with these combinations. It should give a reasonable value here as the CMS systematic uncertainty is small (only H->4 lepton channel), but in general systematic uncertainties can be correlated and then you underestimate the uncertainty.

CMS mass measurement at arXiv
ATLAS mass measurement at CDS

Likes arivero
Vanadium 50 said:

Pedantic but fair.

mfb said:
Be careful with these combinations. It should give a reasonable value here as the CMS systematic uncertainty is small (only H->4 lepton channel), but in general systematic uncertainties can be correlated and then you underestimate the uncertainty.

CMS mass measurement at arXiv
ATLAS mass measurement at CDS

They can be the case, as I actually noted that in a recent discussion about the mathematics of doing combinations at my blog, and is particularly a potential concern at the LHC where a lot of the apparatus that would be a source of systemic error is shared.

But, if you look at the Particle Data Group global combinations of a variety of measurements (or past LHC combinations), it turns out that this potential theoretical concern is quantitatively immaterial.

In part, this is because when you combined statistical and systemic errors, the combination is highly sensitive to the biggest error category and only tugged up a little by the other smaller error type. So, any adjustment that affects only one of two or more kinds of uncertainty is mathematically damped.

There are measurements where you absolutely have to take it into account. Top mass measurements, for example, where model uncertainties are important and common to both ATLAS and CMS.
As I said, here it works, but in general it can be problematic and underestimate the uncertainty.

What is the Higgs Boson?

The Higgs Boson is a subatomic particle that was theorized by physicist Peter Higgs and others in the 1960s. It is a fundamental particle that helps give other particles their mass through interactions with the Higgs field.

Why are the latest Higgs Boson mass measurements important?

The latest Higgs Boson mass measurements are important because they help us better understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. They also provide evidence for the validity of the Standard Model of particle physics.

How are the Higgs Boson mass measurements conducted?

The Higgs Boson mass measurements are conducted using the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Protons are accelerated at high speeds and made to collide, producing Higgs Bosons and other particles. Scientists then use detectors to measure the properties of the particles produced in these collisions, including the Higgs Boson's mass.

What is the significance of the latest Higgs Boson mass measurement?

The latest Higgs Boson mass measurement is significant because it confirms the previous measurement of the Higgs Boson's mass and provides a more precise value. This allows for further testing and refinement of the Standard Model, as well as potential insights into new physics beyond the Standard Model.

What implications do these measurements have for future research?

The latest Higgs Boson mass measurements have significant implications for future research in particle physics. They can help guide the development of new theories and experiments, and provide valuable data for scientists to continue exploring the mysteries of the universe.