The Limit of a Root of a Function is the Root of that Limit (delta-epsilon)

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving limits and a specific equation. The attempted solution relies on an implication that may not hold true, and a counterexample is given. Further discussion and hints are provided, but the individual ultimately decides to put the proof on hold.
5hassay

Homework Statement

Prove:

If [itex] \lim_{x \rightarrow a} f \left( x \right) = l [/itex], then, if [itex] \sqrt[n]{f \left( x \right)} [/itex] exists, [itex] \lim_{x \rightarrow a} \sqrt[n]{f \left( x \right)} = \sqrt[n]{l} [/itex].

Homework Equations

Nothing really...

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so here goes my attempt...

Proof. We can assume that

[itex] \forall \varepsilon > 0 [/itex], [itex] \exists \delta_1 > 0 [/itex] : [itex] \forall x [/itex], [itex] 0 < \left| x - a \right| < \delta_1 \Longrightarrow \left| f \left( x \right) - l \right| < \varepsilon [/itex],​

whereas, we want to show

[itex] \forall \varepsilon > 0 [/itex], [itex] \exists \delta_2 > 0 [/itex] : [itex] \forall x [/itex], [itex] 0 < \left| x - a \right| < \delta_2 \Longrightarrow \left| \sqrt[n]{f \left( x \right)} - \sqrt[n]{l} \right| < \varepsilon [/itex].​

But, [itex] \varepsilon > \left| f \left( x \right) - l \right| \geq \left| \sqrt[n]{f \left( x \right)} - \sqrt[n]{l} \right| [/itex]. Therefore, we conclude that given [itex] \varepsilon > 0 [/itex], if, for all [itex] x [/itex], [itex] 0 < \left| x - a \right| < \delta [/itex] for some such [itex] \delta [/itex], then we have both [itex] \left| f \left( x \right) - l \right| < \varepsilon [/itex] and [itex] \left| \sqrt[n]{f \left( x \right)} - \sqrt[n]{l} \right| < \varepsilon [/itex].

QED

So, I guess the first remark would be if my method was even right, where the second would be if my inequality is true (I can't think of a counterexample).

Anyway, much appreciation for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
For n=2, f(x) = 1/2 and l = 0 is a counterexample.

vela said:
For n=2, f(x) = 1/2 and l = 0 is a counterexample.

Oh, drat. Then, I am at a loss on what to do.

Hmm... I'm likely misunderstanding, but if [itex] f \left( x \right) = 1/2 [/itex], then wouldn't [itex] l = \lim_{x \rightarrow a} 1/2 = 1/2 [/itex] for any [itex] a [/itex]? That is, I don't understand how the limit [itex] l [/itex] could be [itex] 0 [/itex].

---

Much appreciation

Sorry, what I wrote wasn't very clear. I meant if f=1/2 for some value of x near a, then the implication your proof relied on doesn't hold. I didn't mean that f was a constant function.

[itex] |\sqrt{f(x)} - \sqrt{L}| = \frac{f(x) - L}{|\sqrt{f(x)} + \sqrt{L}|}[/itex].

The denominator of the right side of the equation can never be zero unless f = 0 in some neighborhood of x= a and L = 0 (in which case the proposition you're trying to prove is trivial). Why?

Once you answer that, let x approach a and see what the limit of the right side of the equation is.

vela said:
Sorry, what I wrote wasn't very clear. I meant if f=1/2 for some value of x near a, then the implication your proof relied on doesn't hold. I didn't mean that f was a constant function.

JG89 said:
[itex] |\sqrt{f(x)} - \sqrt{L}| = \frac{f(x) - L}{|\sqrt{f(x)} + \sqrt{L}|}[/itex].

The denominator of the right side of the equation can never be zero unless f = 0 in some neighborhood of x= a and L = 0 (in which case the proposition you're trying to prove is trivial). Why?

Once you answer that, let x approach a and see what the limit of the right side of the equation is.

Alright... I've been trying to understand these hints, but I unfortunately don't seem to get anywhere. However, I realized that I don't need this proof as much as I thought, so I am just going to put this on the 'back burner' (if I got that right) for now. Thanks for the help!

Related to The Limit of a Root of a Function is the Root of that Limit (delta-epsilon)

What is the limit of a root of a function?

The limit of a root of a function is the value that the root of the function approaches as the input of the function gets closer and closer to a certain value.

Why is the limit of a root of a function important?

The limit of a root of a function helps us understand the behavior of a function near a certain input value, and allows us to make predictions about the function's values at that point.

What is delta-epsilon in the context of a limit of a root of a function?

Delta-epsilon is a mathematical concept used to formally define the limit of a root of a function. It represents the distance between the input value and the limit value, and the precision with which we can determine the limit.

How do we use delta-epsilon to prove that the limit of a root of a function is the root of that limit?

To prove that the limit of a root of a function is the root of that limit, we use the delta-epsilon definition of a limit to show that for any given value of epsilon (a small positive number), we can find a corresponding value of delta (a small positive number) such that when the input of the function is within delta units of the limit value, the output of the function is within epsilon units of the root of the limit.

Can the limit of a root of a function exist even if the function does not have a root?

Yes, the limit of a root of a function can exist even if the function does not have a root. This is because the limit of a root of a function is not dependent on the actual value of the function, but rather on the behavior of the function near the limit value.