The magnetic flux and the induce emf in the dynamo.

In summary, the maximum induced emf occurs when the coil is parallel to the direction of the magnetic flux. The rate at which the coil cuts the flux is also maximum in this position. Flux linkage refers to the flux passing through the coil. When the coil is parallel to the field lines, the flux linkage is zero. In dynamo coils, the same principles apply.
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

Multiple-choice question:
1itFp.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the induced emf is maximum when the coil is parallel to the direction of the magnetic flux, so I should choose either B or C, and I have read the the rate by which the coil cut the magnetic flux is maximum when it is parallel to the direction of the flux, So I would choose C, is my answer correct? Because I am not sure about the point of the magnetic flux.

Physics news on Phys.org
Asmaa Mohammad said:
I know that the induced emf is maximum when the coil is parallel to the direction of the magnetic flux
Yes.
Asmaa Mohammad said:
have read the the rate by which the coil cut the magnetic flux is maximum when it is parallel to the direction of the flux,
Yes.

What is the flux linking with the coil when it is parallel to the field?

cnh1995 said:
What is the flux linking with the coil when it is parallel to the field?
Excuse me, but I don't understand the term "flux linkage".

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Excuse me, but I don't understand the term "flux linkage".
Flux linkage of a loop means the flux linking with the loop i.e. the flux passing through the loop.
What is this flux linkage when the coil is parallel to the field lines?

cnh1995 said:
Flux linkage of a loop means the flux linking with the loop i.e. the flux passing through the loop.
What is this flux linkage when the coil is parallel to the field lines?
Hmm, I don't know, might be a maximum value? Right?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Hmm, I don't know, might be a maximum value? Right?
images (7).jpg

What is the flux linking with the coil?

Zero?!
In a coiled wire the flux linkage will be maximum when the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic flux, and it will be zero when it is parallel to the magnetic flux.
Do you mean that in dynamo coils it is the same?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Zero?!
In a coiled wire the flux linkage will be maximum when the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic flux, and it will be zero when it is parallel to the magnetic flux.
Do you mean that in dynamo coils it is the same?
Yes and yes.

cnh1995 said:
Yes and yes.
OK and Ok.
Thank you!

What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field that passes through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

What is the relationship between magnetic flux and induced emf in a dynamo?

According to Faraday's law of induction, the magnitude of the induced electromotive force (emf) in a dynamo is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit. This means that a changing magnetic field can induce an emf in a conductor, and this emf can be used to generate electricity.

How does a dynamo work?

A dynamo converts mechanical energy into electrical energy through the process of electromagnetic induction. As a coil of wire rotates in a magnetic field, the changing magnetic flux induces an emf in the coil, creating an electrical current.

What factors affect the strength of the induced emf in a dynamo?

The strength of the induced emf in a dynamo depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, and the number of turns in the coil. A stronger magnetic field, faster rotation, and more turns will result in a higher induced emf.

What are some real-world applications of dynamos?

Dynamos are commonly used in generators, electric motors, and other devices that require the conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy. They are also found in bicycles, where they use the rotation of the wheels to power lights and other accessories.