The Mandela Effect: Possible lead?

• I
  • Thread starter zacharyturner3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lead
In summary, the conversation is about the theory of the multiverse and how it relates to personal perception and alternate realities. The topic was brought up after watching a video about the Berenstain Bears theory and the idea that when someone dies, their perception of reality shifts to an alternate reality while still retaining memories of their previous life. The conversation ends with the suggestion to post a more detailed question about this theory in a new thread, with a scientific source for discussion.
zacharyturner3
Hello, I would like to start by saying I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, I created an account here today after positing to a friend of mine a random thought I had. I was enjoying a video on YouTube about the Berenstain Bears theory, that claims a large amount of people who are familiar with the books remember them titled "The Berenstein Bears", which is interesting to me because I myself thought it was Berenstein (and understand the psychological explanation behind why this is). However the video I was watching was rather satire, and it's outside the box nature gave me an interesting idea. What if: When you die, assuming what we know about perception and the multiverse, your perception of reality (outside of conscious perception) is "transmuted" and you begin to perceive an alternate reality while maintaining your memory of what happened in the previous reality (or maybe parts and become subconsciously, consciously unaware of things).

My reason for believing this is that at a younger age I was 'almost' struck down by a speeding car, my mother pulled me out of the way. What if at that point in my life, I was struck down, and am now in the Berenstain reality? This is of course just random thought that I have no idea where else to put for decent critique and I feel weird for posting it as I feel a little insane and outside the box, but it's so chilling to myself and my friend that I can't help but share and see if anyone else gets some tingles. Please let me know what you think! Also please let me know if this is too outside the box and vague.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure where to settle this: linguistic, philosophy, American history or literature. However, none of these are accepted subjects on PF the way you approached it (too vague). Therefore I close this thread.

If you have a more detailed question about MWI which is in itself highly speculative, feel free to post it in a new thread. In this case a scientific source to commonly discuss on would be very appreciated.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters

What is the Mandela Effect?

The Mandela Effect refers to the phenomenon where a large group of people remember something differently than it actually occurred. This can include shared false memories of events, names, or even pop culture references.

How did the Mandela Effect get its name?

The term was coined by paranormal researcher Fiona Broome in 2010 after she attended a conference and discovered that she and many others had a shared false memory of Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s. However, Mandela was released from prison in 1990 and passed away in 2013.

What are some popular examples of the Mandela Effect?

Some popular examples include the spelling of the children's book series "The Berenstain Bears" (many people remember it as "Berenstein"), the placement of the Monopoly man's monocle (many remember him having one, when in fact he does not), and the famous line from the movie Star Wars (many remember it as "Luke, I am your father," when in reality it is "No, I am your father").

What are some possible explanations for the Mandela Effect?

There are a few theories that attempt to explain the Mandela Effect. Some scientists suggest that it is a result of false memories, as our brains can easily mix up details and create new memories. Others believe it could be due to parallel universes or alternate timelines, where events may have occurred differently. There is no clear consensus on the cause of the Mandela Effect.

Is the Mandela Effect a real phenomenon or just a coincidence?

The existence of the Mandela Effect is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some believe it is a real phenomenon, while others argue that it is simply a coincidence or a result of our fallible memories. More research is needed to fully understand the Mandela Effect and its implications.