The Mark Sanford saga continues

• News
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, Sanford is running against Elizabeth Colbert Busch, who is Stephen Colbert's sister. Colbert is supporting her, and polls indicate a dead heat.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Former South Carolina governor Mark Sanford (R) faces Elizabeth Colbert Busch (D) today in a special election for the House of Representatives seat whose district includes Charleston SC. The seat became vacant when SC governor Nikki Haley appointed its former occupant to the Senate to replace Jim DeMint, who resigned late last year to head the Heritage Foundation.

Polls apparently indicate a dead heat. A Democrat normally would not have any chance of winning in this heavily Republican state, but Sanford has a load of baggage which you can review from this previous thread:

www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=321741

Recently it came out that Sanford had entered his ex-wife's house (in her absence) in violation of a court order in Februrary to watch the Super Bowl with one of his sons. That matter is coming up for a court hearing this week.

http://www.wltx.com/news/article/232907/2/Sanford-Explains-He-was-Watching-Super-Bowl-with-Son (WLTX TV, Columbia)

Some commentary from cnn.com:

In South Carolina politics, two very different campaign styles

I'm in a different district, so I'm just a spectator, but I remember Sanford squabbling a lot with the Republican-dominated legislature while he was governor, vetoing spending bills and then the legislature overriding the vetoes. The Republican establishment doesn't like him much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
The Republican establishment doesn't like him much.

That's a point in his favour, but he's still running as one of them. On the other hand, Elizabeth Busch is Stephen Colbert's (the Colbert Report) sister and he's been publicly backing her, so she probably already has the support of anyone who matters.

Elizabeth Busch is Stephen Colbert's (the Colbert Report) sister...so she probably already has the support of anyone who matters.

only Colbert fans matter ?

jim hardy said:

I dunno, but I like the sneaky idea of having a democrat candidate called Bus(c)h. Maybe the more intellectually challenged republcans voted for the wrong person :smile:

jim hardy said:

To we non-Yanks who think of Republicans with derision, that's a resounding "Yes!"

And before anyone beaks off about that, you're perfectly welcome to deride my government in return. After all, we do it ourselves all of the time.

Last edited:

What is "The Mark Sanford saga"?

The Mark Sanford saga refers to the ongoing political scandal surrounding former South Carolina governor Mark Sanford. In 2009, Sanford went missing for several days and later admitted to having an extramarital affair with a woman from Argentina. The saga continues with ongoing developments and controversies surrounding Sanford's personal and political life.

What is the latest update on the Mark Sanford saga?

The latest update on the Mark Sanford saga is that he has recently announced his candidacy for the US House of Representatives in South Carolina's 1st congressional district. This comes after his term as governor ended in 2011 and his failed attempt at running for president in 2019.

Are there any legal consequences for Mark Sanford's actions?

No, there are no known legal consequences for Mark Sanford's extramarital affair. However, his political career has been greatly affected and he has faced public criticism and scrutiny for his actions.

How has Mark Sanford's affair affected his family?

Mark Sanford's affair has greatly affected his family, leading to the end of his marriage to his wife Jenny and causing emotional turmoil for his four sons. In a 2019 interview, his son Marshall described the affair as a "huge betrayal" and stated that it has greatly damaged their relationship with their father.

What impact has the Mark Sanford saga had on South Carolina politics?

The Mark Sanford saga has had a significant impact on South Carolina politics. It has brought attention to the state and its politicians, and has also brought discussions about morality and personal responsibility to the forefront of political discourse. It has also caused a shift in power within the state's Republican party, with some members distancing themselves from Sanford and his actions.