What Are the Extremes of Elementary Charges Measured in the Millikan Experiment?

In summary, the question is asking for the smallest and largest number of elementary charges measured within experimental uncertainty for the shortest and tallest bars on a bar graph of experimental data. To answer this question, one must look at the data points on the graph and determine the number of elementary charges corresponding to the shortest and tallest bars. If unsure, reviewing the experimental setup and equations used may be helpful. Consulting with a lab partner or instructor may also provide further guidance.
nesan

Homework Statement

For the shortest bar on the bar graph, what is the smallest number of elementary charges that were measured within experimental uncertainty? For the tallest bar, what was the largest number of elementary charges?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand what the question is asking me. I have plotted the data.

2h6aviv.png

Someone please direct me in the correct direction. Thank you.

We weren't given voltage or even the distance between the parallel plates so I'm clueless on what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I can help clarify the question for you. It seems that you have plotted a bar graph of some experimental data, but you are unsure of what the question is asking for. The question is asking for the smallest and largest number of elementary charges that were measured within experimental uncertainty for the shortest and tallest bars on the graph.

To answer this question, you will need to look at the data points on your graph and determine the number of elementary charges that correspond to the shortest and tallest bars. The smallest number of elementary charges will be for the shortest bar, and the largest number of elementary charges will be for the tallest bar.

If you are unsure of how to determine the number of elementary charges from your data, you may need to review the experimental setup and the equations used to calculate the number of elementary charges. If you are still unsure, it may be helpful to consult with your lab partner or instructor for further guidance.

I hope this helps and directs you in the right direction. Good luck with your research!

What is "The Millikan Experiment"?

The Millikan Experiment is a scientific experiment conducted by Robert Millikan in 1909 to determine the value of the elementary electric charge.

What was the purpose of "The Millikan Experiment"?

The purpose of this experiment was to measure the charge of an electron, which was a crucial step in understanding the structure of the atom and the fundamental laws of electricity.

How was "The Millikan Experiment" conducted?

The experiment involved suspending tiny oil droplets in an electric field and measuring their rate of fall. By varying the strength of the electric field, the charge on the droplets could be calculated and the charge on a single electron could be determined.

What were the results of "The Millikan Experiment"?

Millikan's experiment yielded a value of 1.5924 × 10^-19 coulombs for the elementary electric charge, which is very close to the currently accepted value of 1.6022 × 10^-19 coulombs. This experiment also confirmed the concept of quantization of electric charge.

Why is "The Millikan Experiment" important?

The Millikan Experiment is considered one of the most important experiments in the history of physics as it provided the first accurate measurement of the charge of an electron, which had a significant impact on our understanding of the atomic structure and the laws of electricity. It also paved the way for further discoveries and advancements in the field of physics.