What Are the Odds of Winning or Drawing in Paper Rock Scissors?

• MHB
  • Thread starter dandare30
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper Rock
In summary, the odds of winning in a single round of Paper Rock Scissors are 1:2 and the odds of drawing are 0:1. If the game continues after a draw, the odds of winning become 1:1 and the odds of drawing become 0:1.
dandare30
Firstly I apologise for the most basic of questions...

I want to know the odds for the game Paper Rock Scissors.

What are the odds of winning

What are the odds of drawing

Thanks in advance :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dandare30 said:
Firstly I apologise for the most basic of questions...

I want to know the odds for the game Paper Rock Scissors.

What are the odds of winning

What are the odds of drawing

Thanks in advance :)

Hi dandare30, welcome to MHB! ;)

The probability to win in a single round is $\frac 13$.
The odds of winning in a single round are $1:2$. That is 1 possibility to win versus 2 equally likely possibilities to not-win.
It's the same for drawing.

If we keep going after a draw until someone wins, then the probability to win becomes $\frac 12$, and the odds to win becomes $1:1$.
The probability for drawing becomes $0$, and the odds for drawing becomes $0:1$.

What is Paper Rock Scissors?

Paper Rock Scissors is a hand game played between two people, in which each player simultaneously forms one of three shapes: a flat hand for paper, a fist for rock, or two fingers for scissors.

Where did Paper Rock Scissors originate?

The origins of Paper Rock Scissors are unclear, but it is believed to have originated in China or Japan. It was first mentioned in a book from the 17th century in Japan, but it may have been played even earlier than that.

What are the rules of Paper Rock Scissors?

The basic rules of Paper Rock Scissors are that rock beats scissors, scissors beat paper, and paper beats rock. If both players choose the same shape, it is a tie.

Is there a strategy to winning at Paper Rock Scissors?

There is no scientific strategy to winning at Paper Rock Scissors, as it is a game of chance. However, some players believe that they can predict their opponent's next move based on their previous moves, but this is not a foolproof strategy.

Are there variations of Paper Rock Scissors?

Yes, there are many variations of Paper Rock Scissors, including different hand gestures, additional shapes (such as lizard and Spock), and different rules for winning. Some variations are used in competitive tournaments and can involve complex strategies.