The most striking example of vacuum fluctuations affecting experiments

In summary, the conversation is about the role of vacuum state fluctuations in experiments in Condensed Matter Physics. The speaker mentions their vague memory of reviewing abstracts about quantum criticality in cuprate superconductors and how the results were different from classical predictions due to electron interactions with the vacuum. They also mention losing their notes and bookmarks and are looking for examples of experiments involving vacuum state fluctuations. Another person suggests exploring the Vacuum Fluctuation Myth in Quantum Theory and the speaker asks if anyone has any experiments on hand.
hyksos
TL;DR Summary
What do you think is the most striking example of vacuum fluctuations affecting the results of an experiment?
This is a question for experimentalists working in Condensed Matter Physics. What do you think is the most striking example of QFT vacuum state fluctuations affecting the results of an experiment?

I have vague memory of reviewing some abstracts about quantum criticality in cuprate superconductors. The results were differing from classical predictions in ways explained by electron interactions with the vacuum. But I have since lost all my links to them. Would be happy to see what you have.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah that's fine and all. I'm looking for some examples of how the vacuum state plays a role in quantum criticality. I remember reading publications about cuprate superconductors from peer-reviewed journals. I just have lost all of my notes and bookmarks in the hustle-bustle of life over the years. I was just wondering if anyone on the forum has any of those kinds of experiments "at their fingertips".

1. What are vacuum fluctuations?

Vacuum fluctuations are quantum fluctuations that occur in the vacuum of empty space. These fluctuations arise from the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, where particles and antiparticles can spontaneously appear and annihilate each other in a very short amount of time.

2. How do vacuum fluctuations affect experiments?

Vacuum fluctuations can affect experiments by introducing random noise or disturbances in the measurements. This can make it difficult to obtain accurate and precise results, especially in experiments involving very sensitive equipment or measurements.

3. Can vacuum fluctuations be controlled or eliminated in experiments?

No, vacuum fluctuations cannot be controlled or eliminated in experiments. They are an inherent part of the quantum nature of the universe and cannot be completely eliminated. However, their effects can be minimized by using advanced techniques and technologies.

4. Are there any experiments that have been affected by vacuum fluctuations?

Yes, there have been several experiments that have been affected by vacuum fluctuations. One example is the Casimir effect, where two parallel plates in a vacuum experience an attractive force due to the presence of vacuum fluctuations between them.

5. How do scientists account for vacuum fluctuations in their experiments?

Scientists account for vacuum fluctuations by taking them into consideration in their experimental design and data analysis. This may involve using statistical methods to account for the random noise introduced by vacuum fluctuations or using advanced techniques to minimize their effects on the measurements.