The mysterious underwater pyramid at Yonaguni in Japan

In summary: It's a bit of a mystery too, as some researchers think it might be man-made but most think it's natural.In summary, this huge stone monument off the coast of Japan is a source of controversy because some scientists believe it was built by humans, while others believe it is a natural formation.
PlasmaSphere
This has intrigued me, mainly because a lot of the scientists that go and see it for themselves change their mind and end up thinking that it is not a natural formation. It is an absolutely huge stone monument off the coast of Japan, and it has right angle sides, parrallel ledges, steps, and various other features that are hard to explain by nature.

the history channel did a documentary on it a while ago, an overview of it can be seen here; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XMMBLNJqw1M#GU5U2spHI_4

http://www.morien-institute.org/yonaguni.html
"The structure was found by dive tour operator Kihachiro Aratake in 1985 and has been a source of controversy ever since. It appears to be a construction made of wide terraces, ramps and large steps. [...]

[...] According to the report, Japanese scientists have documented marks on the stones that indicate that they were hewn. Not only that, the tools used in this process have been found in the area, and carvings have been discovered. A small stairway carved into the rocks appears to render the theory that this is a natural formation implausible."

some good pictures of it can be seen [/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to see if any other natural rock formations have rocks at such clear cut right angles as this monument has. Some of them seem very precise, and i find it hard to see how they would form to be that precise underwater, water usually makes everything smooth. I can't find any other formations like this one from a quick look around, submerged or not.

yup, i really wonder why they keep insisting it's natural... I'm no expert but it really really looks man-made.

It looks about as man-made as columnar basalt does at any rate...

I think it's difficult to have a conclusive opinion based on the documentary. People have historically shown a predeliction for building settlements on high rock structures and carving the outlying regions to suit, so it might be totally natural, or it might be artificial, or it might be a bit of both.

One thing that I would query in the documentary is their idea that if the rock is artificially shaped, that that stoneworking must date from the Ice Age, when global sea levels were lower.

Coastal cities sometimes sink over comparatively short periods of time, for instance, the archeologically-interesting bits of Alexandria are now under quite a lot of water.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria
Sometimes the sinkage is pretty sudden, e.g. Port Royal
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Royal
... we wouldn't date the underwater remains of Port Royal or Alexandria as going back to the last Ice Age, because we know that isn't true ... they sank due to local geological effects.

Given that the islands that make up Japan run along a faultline between tectonic plates (part of the "Ring of Fire"), and the region is notable for being geologically active (which is why the islands are there!), it seemed a bit odd for the documentary guys to be trying to date any potential human involvement based on mean global sea levels.

wow, that's interesting!

And then there is also Mega, the Cuban submerged megalithic site, discussed here. It's still there but almost forgotten.

Related to The mysterious underwater pyramid at Yonaguni in Japan

1. What is the mysterious underwater pyramid at Yonaguni in Japan?

The mysterious underwater pyramid at Yonaguni in Japan is a large rock formation located in the waters off the coast of Yonaguni Island, Japan. It was discovered in 1986 by a local diver and has since been a subject of debate and speculation among scientists and archaeologists.

2. How was the underwater pyramid formed?

The formation of the underwater pyramid at Yonaguni is still a topic of debate. Some scientists believe that it is a natural formation, created by tectonic activity and erosion. Others argue that it is man-made, possibly dating back to an ancient civilization.

3. How old is the underwater pyramid at Yonaguni?

The exact age of the underwater pyramid at Yonaguni is unknown. Some scientists estimate that it may be around 10,000 years old, while others believe it could be much older. Further research and evidence are needed to determine its age accurately.

4. What evidence supports the theory that the underwater pyramid is man-made?

Some evidence that supports the theory that the underwater pyramid is man-made includes the presence of right angles, sharp edges, and flat surfaces on the structure. Additionally, there are carvings and markings that resemble human-made objects on the pyramid.

5. Has any research been conducted on the underwater pyramid at Yonaguni?

Yes, several research expeditions have been conducted on the underwater pyramid at Yonaguni since its discovery in 1986. However, due to its remote location and challenging diving conditions, much of the research has been inconclusive. Further studies are needed to fully understand the origins and purpose of the underwater pyramid.

Back