The net electric field at point A is 6.7x10^4Nm.

In summary, the net electric field at point A is 6.7 x 10^4 Nm. This is determined by vectorially adding the electric fields contributed by charges 1 and 2, with charge 1 contributing no x component and charge 2 contributing no y component.
chef99

Homework Statement

Calculate the net electric field at point A.

[/SIZE]
unnamed.jpg

Homework Equations

Enet(total)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The electric field at point A will due to charge 2 will point towards charge 2 because charge 2 is negative.
The electric field at point A will due to charge 1 will point towards charge 1 because charge 1 is negative.

Enet(total) = Enetx + Enety
Because q1 is vertical, its x-component is 0. Because q2 is horizontal, its y-component is 0. Therefore,

Enet = kq1/r^2 + kq2/r^2

= (9.0x10^9Nm/C)(-6.0x10^-5C) / (3.0m)^2 + (9.0x10^9Nm/C)(-3.0x10^-5 C) / (3.0m)^2
= -60000Nm
= -6.0x10^4Nm
The electric field at point A due to the other charges is -6.0x10^4Nm

I am unsure if this is correct as this is the first time I've done a question when it hasn't been an equilateral triangle, so I don't know if I have the right idea or not. Also, I am unsure if I need to determine the angle of charge A or not. Any help is greatly appreciated.

**I am new to the forum so apologies for any errors in the format of my question.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 660
Physics news on Phys.org
chef99 said:
Enet = kq1/r^2 + kq2/r^2

Do you know that Electric field is a vector, and so you have to add it vectorially?

PumpkinCougar95 said:
Do you know that Electric field is a vector, and so you have to add it vectorially?
I know the field is a vector, but do I still have to do the x- and y-components first if the direction of the two charges fall on the vertical and horizontal axis, as they appear in the diagram? i.e. Would the x-component for q1 not be zero?

Q1 will contribute no x component, Q2 will contribute no y component. But You have to Add them like $$ E_{net} ~=~\sqrt{ {E_x}^2+ {E_y}^2 } $$

Likes chef99
PumpkinCougar95 said:
Q1 will contribute no x component, Q2 will contribute no y component. But You have to Add them like $$ E_{net} ~=~\sqrt{ {E_x}^2+ {E_y}^2 } $$

So Enet = √60000Nm^2 + 30000Nm^2

Enet = 67082
Enet = 6.7 x10^4Nm

1. What is the formula for calculating the net electric field at point A?

The formula for calculating the net electric field at point A is E = kQ/r2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge, and r is the distance from the point to the source of the electric field.

2. How is the direction of the net electric field at point A determined?

The direction of the net electric field at point A is determined by the direction of the individual electric fields from each source. The net electric field will point in the direction of the vector sum of these individual electric fields.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the net electric field at point A?

The magnitude of the net electric field at point A is affected by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them. The net electric field will decrease as the distance from the source increases, and will increase as the magnitude of the charges increases.

4. Can the net electric field at point A be negative?

Yes, the net electric field at point A can be negative. This means that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the electric field from the individual sources, resulting in a cancellation of the two fields.

5. How does the presence of a conductor affect the net electric field at point A?

The presence of a conductor in the vicinity of point A can affect the net electric field by redistributing the charges on its surface. This can result in a change in the magnitude and direction of the net electric field at point A.