The 'outer surface' should be redefined when applying Gauss' law?

In summary, Gauss' law states that in an electrostatic situation, all charge will reside on the surface of an isolated conductor. However, if there is charge within a conducting cavity, the inner surface of the cavity will accumulate induced charge. This can lead to ambiguity in defining what is considered the "outer" and "inner" surfaces. The net flux through the cavity will still be zero, but what is being measured with the Gaussian theorem may vary depending on the chosen integral representation. It is important to note that this only applies to electrostatic situations and specific additional assumptions must be made for charge to be present only on the outer surface of an isolated conductor.
feynman1
Gauss' law dictates that charge will only appear on the outer surface of a conductor. But if there's charge in a conducting cavity, the inner surface of the conductor will accumulate induced charge. So what's outer or inner should be redefined?

Physics news on Phys.org
there will be no field inside a closed cavity!The charge densities lies on the surfaces on every layer and have the same sign(Why?).The net flux through this cavity should be zero.Its on you what you want to measure with the Gaussian theorem.For example,if you wanted to measure the field contribution of a charge density on the surface where the electric field pointed radial outwards in all direction then the E-field decreases with increasing distance.So,find a way in your integral representation where this facts pop out.
One remark to the Gaussian theorem: When you measure with Gaussian theorem you create imaginary ,closed ,oriented Gaussian surfaces layers to measure the net flux which goes through a surface .

https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_05.html

Last edited:
Of course, if there is a charge inside the cavity there will be a non-zero field inside the cavity. There's no field inside the conductor (for the static case, i.e., if no currents flow within the conductor), and this is because the charge inside the cavity induces a surface-charge distribution on the inner surface of the conductor such that the field of the charge is canceled precisely by the field due to this induced surface-charge distribution. It is given by the jump of the normal component of the electric field at this surface.

Likes troglodyte
troglodyte said:
there will be no field inside a closed cavity!The charge densities lies on the surfaces on every layer and have the same sign(Why?).The net flux through this cavity should be zero.Its on you what you want to measure with the Gaussian theorem.For example,if you wanted to measure the field contribution of a charge density on the surface where the electric field pointed radial outwards in all direction then the E-field decreases with increasing distance.So,find a way in your integral representation where this facts pop out.
One remark to the Gaussian theorem: When you measure with Gaussian theorem you create imaginary ,closed ,oriented Gaussian surfaces layers to measure the net flux which goes through a surface .

https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_05.html
Thanks. I actually meant there was a charge artificially put in the hollow region of the cavity. Then there'll be induced charge on the inner surface of the cavity to keep the electric field to be 0 within the conducting cavity.

Likes vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
Of course, if there is a charge inside the cavity there will be a non-zero field inside the cavity. There's no field inside the conductor (for the static case, i.e., if no currents flow within the conductor), and this is because the charge inside the cavity induces a surface-charge distribution on the inner surface of the conductor such that the field of the charge is canceled precisely by the field due to this induced surface-charge distribution. It is given by the jump of the normal component of the electric field at this surface.
That's right. But I was asking to redefine 'charge only on outer surface', as the inner surface has charge.

feynman1 said:
Gauss' law dictates that charge will only appear on the outer surface of a conductor
Where did you read that? Gauss’ law does not dictate that in general. Under specific additional assumptions plus Gauss’ law you can get that result, but not just from Gauss’ law.

Dale said:
Where did you read that? Gauss’ law does not dictate that in general. Under specific additional assumptions plus Gauss’ law you can get that result, but not just from Gauss’ law.
Sorry I meant to refer to isolated conductors. So isolation+Gauss' law give charge only on 'outer' surface. Though If there's charge in the hole of a cavity, the inner surface of the cavity, in the eye of the charge in the hole, could also be called an 'outer' surface, in my opinion?

feynman1 said:
the inner surface of the cavity, in the eye of the charge in the hole, could also be called an 'outer' surface, in my opinion?

It's best to stick to less ambiguous terms in communications; I don't think I would call the inner surface that. What's wrong with just saying charges reside on the surface of a conductor in equilibrium? This covers both the outer and inner face.

Likes Dale, Delta2 and feynman1
feynman1 said:
Sorry I meant to refer to isolated conductors. So isolation+Gauss' law give charge only on 'outer' surface. Though If there's charge in the hole of a cavity, the inner surface of the cavity, in the eye of the charge in the hole, could also be called an 'outer' surface, in my opinion?
This is not correct. Can you please post your source for this? Either the source is wrong or you are misunderstanding the source.

The correct claim should be that in an electrostatic situation all charge resides on the surface of a conductor. There should be no involvement of isolation and no outer or inner.

Likes etotheipi
Dale said:
This is not correct. Can you please post your source for this? Either the source is wrong or you are misunderstanding the source.

I think OP understands but the 'outer'/'inner' terms he uses are just slightly misleading.

I suspect he meant something along the lines of a charge placed in the cavity of a conductor will result in a surface charge on the inner surface of the conductor around the cavity, but no charge in the cavity means no charge on that inner surface.

Likes feynman1
feynman1 said:
Gauss' law dictates that charge will only appear on the outer surface of a conductor.
This premise is simply not true. Why are we discussing its ramifications?

Likes etotheipi and Dale
feynman1 said:
That's right. But I was asking to redefine 'charge only on outer surface', as the inner surface has charge.
I don't understand the question then. There's of course also induced charge on the outer surface and you can of course also put additional charge on it too, but that won't change the field inside the cavity (in the conductor it stays 0 anyway).

Dale said:

The correct claim should be that in an electrostatic situation all charge resides on the surface of a conductor. There should be no involvement of isolation and no outer or inner.
If there's a charge inside the cavity it's there and not on the surface of the condutors though!

feynman1 said:
Gauss' law dictates that charge will only appear on the outer surface of a conductor.
What you saying here is not 100% correct. You must remove the word "outer" and add "in electrostatic equilibrium" at the end. So the correct statement is:
"Gauss's law dictates that charge will only appear on the surface of a conductor in electrostatic equilibrium"

Likes Dale, vanhees71 and etotheipi
Thanks a lot everyone. Let me clarify. I meant to say:
'Gauss' law says under electrostatic equilibrium charge only appears on the surface of a conductor and that charge only appears on the outer surface of an isolated conducting cavity'.

feynman1 said:
'Gauss' law says under electrostatic equilibrium charge only appears on the surface of a conductor
Fine so far
..and that charge only appears on the outer surface of an isolated conducting cavity'.
You don't have to say the above. By not putting the word "outer" or "inner" in the first half (before the "and") of the complete quoted sentence, you incorporate the case of the isolated conducting cavity, because the outer surface of the conducting cavity, is the inner surface of the conductor.

Please find references:
www.quora.com/What-do-people-mean-by-an-isolated-conductor

But now I realize I missed saying another overlooked condition: curlE=0. So I hereby clarify that under electrostatic equilibrium the conditions for charge only residing on the outer surface of an isolated conducting cavity are Gauss' law+curlE=0.

Delta2 said:
Fine so far

You don't have to say the above. By not putting the word "outer" or "inner" in the first half (before the "and") of the complete quoted sentence, you incorporate the case of the isolated conducting cavity, because the outer surface of the conducting cavity, is the inner surface of the conductor.
Nice. So in your opinion, inner surface of cavity is actually outer in the eye of its surroundings?

feynman1 said:
Nice. So in your opinion, inner surface of cavity is actually outer in the eye of its surroundings?
Yes you can say that.

feynman1 said:
Please find references:
www.quora.com/What-do-people-mean-by-an-isolated-conductor

But now I realize I missed saying another overlooked condition: curlE=0. So I hereby clarify that under electrostatic equilibrium the conditions for charge only residing on the outer surface of an isolated conducting cavity are Gauss' law+curlE=0.
I am not so sure here but I think if ##curlE\neq 0## then there would be a time varying magnetic field, hence the electric field would also be time varying, hence the conductor can't reach electrostatic equilibrium.

Delta2 said:
I am not so sure here but I think if ##curlE\neq 0## then there would be a time varying magnetic field, hence the electric field would also be time varying, hence the conductor can't reach electrostatic equilibrium.
I'm only considering electrostatics, so curlE=0 is automatic

feynman1 said:
I'm only considering electrostatics, so curlE=0 is automatic
Again , I am not 100% sure , but since we say that the conductor is under electrostatic equilibrium we don't need to include that ##Curl(E)=0## it is redundant.

feynman1 said:
'Gauss' law says under electrostatic equilibrium charge only appears on the surface of a conductor and that charge only appears on the outer surface of an isolated conducting cavity'.
I thought you consider the case of a cavity, containing some charge. Then you have an induced surface charge on the inner boundary surface as well as on the outer. You can also put extra charges on the outer surface.

The one very illuminating example you can quite easily solve analytically is a spherical shell of finite thickness. Here you can use the method of image charges (with only one image charge) to calculate the Green's function, which then covers all cases of given charge distributions inside and outside the cavity as well as arbitrary additional surface charge on the outer boundary. It's very helpful to study this example carefully though it's a bit of work to get all the algebra right!

Likes feynman1

1. What is Gauss' law and how does it relate to the outer surface?

Gauss' law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. The outer surface refers to the boundary of the closed surface used in Gauss' law. It is important to redefine the outer surface when applying Gauss' law to accurately calculate the electric flux and understand the distribution of charge.

2. Why is it necessary to redefine the outer surface when applying Gauss' law?

The outer surface must be redefined when applying Gauss' law because the charge enclosed by the surface affects the electric flux through the surface. If the outer surface is not properly defined, the calculation of the electric flux will be incorrect and may lead to incorrect conclusions about the distribution of charge.

3. How do you determine the proper outer surface when applying Gauss' law?

The proper outer surface can be determined by considering the distribution of charge and choosing a closed surface that encloses the charge of interest. The outer surface should also be chosen so that the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the surface at all points.

4. Can the outer surface be any shape when applying Gauss' law?

No, the outer surface must be a closed surface for Gauss' law to be applicable. Additionally, the shape of the outer surface should be chosen carefully to ensure that the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the surface at all points.

5. How does the redefinition of the outer surface affect the calculation of the electric flux through the surface?

The redefinition of the outer surface can greatly affect the calculation of the electric flux. If the outer surface is not properly chosen, the electric flux may be overestimated or underestimated, leading to incorrect conclusions about the distribution of charge. Therefore, it is important to carefully redefine the outer surface when applying Gauss' law.