The position and momentum operators for a free particle in Heisenberg picture

In summary, the equations for the position and momentum operators in the Heisenberg picture are given by $$ {\hat x}_H \left( t \right) ={\hat x}_H \left( 0 \right) + \frac { {\hat p}_H \left( 0 \right) t} m $$ $$ {\hat p}_H \left( t \right) ={\hat p}_H \left( 0 \right)
Haorong Wu

Homework Statement

From Griffiths GM 3rd p.266

Consider a free particle of mass ##m##. Show that the position and momentum operators in the Heisenberg picture are given by$$ {\hat x}_H \left( t \right) ={\hat x}_H \left( 0 \right) + \frac { {\hat p}_H \left( 0 \right) t} m $$ $$ {\hat p}_H \left( t \right) ={\hat p}_H \left( 0 \right) $$.
Hint: you will first need to evaluate the commutator ##\left[ \hat x , {\hat H}^n \right]##; this will alow you to evaluate the commutator ##\left[ \hat x , {\hat U} \right]##.

Homework Equations

##\hat U \left( t \right) =exp \left[ - \frac {it} \hbar \hat H \right]##
##{\hat Q}_H \left( t \right) = {\hat U}^\dagger \left( t \right) \hat Q \hat U \left( t \right)## is the Heisenberg-picture operator.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since ##H=- \frac {\hbar^2} {2m } \frac {d^2} {dx^2}## , then ##\left[ \hat x , {\hat H}^n \right]=-2n { \left( - \frac {\hbar^2} {2m} \right) }^n \frac {d^{2n-1}} {dx^{2n-1}}##, and ## \left[ \hat x , \hat U \right] = \left[ \hat x , exp \left(- \frac {it} \hbar \hat H \right) \right] = \left[ \hat x , \sum_{n=0}^\infty {\frac { { \left(\frac { -it} {\hbar} \hat H \right) }^{n} } {n!}} \right] = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {\left( -2n \right) \left( \frac {it\hbar} {2m} \right)^n} {n!} \frac {d^{2n-1}} {dx^{2n-1}} ##.

Then ## {\hat x}_H \left( t \right) \psi_n \left( x \right) = {\hat U }^\dagger \hat x \hat U \psi_n \left( x \right) ={\left ( \hat x \hat U \right) } ^\dagger e^{\frac {-i \hat H t} {\hbar}} \psi_n \left( x \right) = {\left( \hat U \hat x + \left[ \hat x, \hat U \right] \right) } ^\dagger e^{\frac {-i E_n t} {\hbar}} \psi_n \left( x \right) = e^{\frac {-i E_n t} {\hbar}} \sum_{n=0}^\infty \left[ \frac {\left( -2n \right) \left( \frac {-it\hbar} {2m} \right)^n} {n!} \frac {d^{2n-1}} {dx^{2n-1}} + x e^{\frac {i E_n t} {\hbar}} \right] \psi_n \left( x \right) ##

I don't know how to proceed with this monster. Perhaps, I'm heading a wrong direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are off in the wrong direction. You should only need the commutation relation between x and p and the expression of the free Hamiltonian in terms of those. There is no need to involve any states.

You do not need to use the particular representation of the position and momentum operators. Knowing their commutator is sufficient.

Orodruin said:
You are off in the wrong direction. You should only need the commutation relation between x and p and the expression of the free Hamiltonian in terms of those. There is no need to involve any states.

You do not need to use the particular representation of the position and momentum operators. Knowing their commutator is sufficient.

Thanks! Perhaps the hint of the problem misguided me. I'll try the other way.

1. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty at the same time. This is due to the inherent uncertainty and unpredictability of quantum mechanics.

2. How do the position and momentum operators work in the Heisenberg picture?

In the Heisenberg picture, the position and momentum operators are time-dependent. This means that they change with time, unlike in the Schrödinger picture where they are constant. The position operator corresponds to the position of the particle at a given time, while the momentum operator corresponds to the momentum of the particle at a given time.

3. What is the commutator relationship between the position and momentum operators?

The commutator relationship between the position and momentum operators is [x,p] = iħ, where x is the position operator, p is the momentum operator, and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant. This relationship is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is a key component of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

4. How do the position and momentum operators affect the wave function of a free particle?

The position operator acts on the wave function to give the position of the particle at a given time, while the momentum operator acts on the wave function to give the momentum of the particle at a given time. These operators play a crucial role in determining the behavior and evolution of the wave function of a free particle.

5. Can the position and momentum operators be simultaneously measured in the Heisenberg picture?

No, the position and momentum operators cannot be simultaneously measured in the Heisenberg picture due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This means that the more accurately one of these quantities is measured, the less accurately the other can be known.