The Princeton Guide to Mathematics

In summary, "The Princeton Guide to Mathematics" is a comprehensive and authoritative reference work that covers all areas of mathematics. It is suitable for both students and researchers and covers topics such as algebra, geometry, analysis, number theory, logic, and more. It also includes discussions on the history and philosophy of mathematics and its applications in other fields. The target audience for this guide is anyone with an interest in mathematics, and it is suitable for both beginners and experts in the field. It can be used for self-study, as it is written in a clear and accessible language with examples and exercises. The guide stands out for its comprehensive coverage and contributions from over 200 leading experts, making it a highly authoritative and up-to-date resource.
imranq
by Timothy Gowers. How is the book? I'm thinking of purchasing it for my undergrad math career, can anyone recommend it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So I went ahead and got it (without a response from PF!). Luckily, the book is amazing in depth and accessibility. It is hefty, a full 1000 pages and costs $99 (but I got it for $50 through a border's deal). I can see this becoming useful in explaining some of the conceptual stuff in future math courses.

I hope you like it! I've been thinking about it as well.

Related to The Princeton Guide to Mathematics

1. What is "The Princeton Guide to Mathematics" about?

The Princeton Guide to Mathematics is a comprehensive and authoritative reference work that covers all areas of mathematics. It is designed for both students and researchers, and provides a broad overview of the field as well as in-depth coverage of specific topics.

2. Who is the audience for "The Princeton Guide to Mathematics"?

The target audience for The Princeton Guide to Mathematics is anyone with an interest in mathematics, from students and educators to researchers and professionals. It is suitable for both beginners and experts in the field.

3. What topics are covered in "The Princeton Guide to Mathematics"?

The guide covers a wide range of topics, including algebra, geometry, analysis, number theory, logic, and more. It also includes discussions on the history and philosophy of mathematics, as well as applications of mathematics in other fields.

4. Is "The Princeton Guide to Mathematics" suitable for self-study?

Yes, The Princeton Guide to Mathematics can be used for self-study. It is written in a clear and accessible language, with numerous examples and exercises to help readers understand the concepts and practice their skills.

5. How is "The Princeton Guide to Mathematics" different from other math reference books?

The Princeton Guide to Mathematics stands out for its comprehensive coverage and its focus on both breadth and depth. It also includes contributions from over 200 leading experts in the field, making it a highly authoritative and up-to-date resource.