The problem between two pictures that show the same(?) Zeeman effect

In summary, the Zeeman effect is a phenomenon where an atom's energy levels split when exposed to a magnetic field. The amount of splitting varies depending on whether the atom is in a normal or anomalous state, with the normal state being determined by the magnetic quantum number and the anomalous state being determined by the spin quantum number. Both diagrams referenced show the difference between normal and anomalous Zeeman effect states, and by looking at both, you can gain a better understanding of the concept.
Higgsino
Hello.

I am confused with my teacher argument with the two pictures that shows the Zeeman effect. The addresses to them is

http://www7b.biglobe.ne.jp/~kcy05t/paschen.html (the first pictures)
http://psi.phys.wits.ac.za/teaching/Connell/phys284/2005/lecture-03/lecture_03/node14.html

My teacher said that this is the same kind of pictures of the Zeeman effect and you don´t need them both to ones work. The confusion is that the one of them tells only about the normal Zeeman effect (the second address) where the magnetic quantum numbers is illustrate. The next one tells about difference between the normal and the anomalous Zeeman effect and the second the anomalous one describes from the spin quantum number.

My purpose was with the first adress pictures show the differences between the two types of the Zeeman effect. If from my teachers wiev of Point where the pictures describe the same thing, which means that I can for example only use the second adress pictures to show the difference between the two type of the Zeeman effect.

However I havn´t study the Zeeman effect so long but this felt so strange. I felt like that I have no idea more about what the pictures decribes, which I did Before the teacher said this things.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you help me to understand what the teacher meant and what kind of information I need to understand better the Zeeman effect? The Zeeman effect is a phenomenon in which an atom's energy levels are split when exposed to a magnetic field. The amount of splitting varies depending on whether the atom is in a normal or anomalous Zeeman effect state. In the normal Zeeman effect, the atom's magnetic quantum number (m) determines the amount of splitting. In the anomalous Zeeman effect, the atom's spin quantum number (s) determines the amount of splitting. To better understand the Zeeman effect, it is helpful to look at diagrams showing the energy level splitting. The two pictures you reference illustrate the difference between normal and anomalous Zeeman effect states. The first picture shows the normal Zeeman effect, where the splitting is determined by the magnetic quantum number m. The second picture shows the anomalous Zeeman effect, where the splitting is determined by the spin quantum number s. By looking at both diagrams, you can see how the amount of energy level splitting changes depending on the type of Zeeman effect state.It sounds like your teacher is saying that you don't need both diagrams to understand the Zeeman effect; you can use either one as they both illustrate the same concept. However, by looking at both diagrams, you can gain a better understanding of the Zeeman effect and how the energy level splitting changes depending on the type of Zeeman effect state.

1. What is the Zeeman effect?

The Zeeman effect is a phenomenon in physics where the spectral lines of an atom are split into multiple components when the atom is placed in a magnetic field.

2. How does the Zeeman effect occur?

The Zeeman effect occurs due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic dipole moment of the atom's electrons. This interaction causes the spectral lines to split into multiple components.

3. What is the significance of the Zeeman effect?

The Zeeman effect is significant because it provides evidence for the quantization of energy levels in atoms. It also has important applications in spectroscopy, particularly in the study of magnetic fields and the structure of atoms.

4. Can the Zeeman effect be observed in everyday life?

No, the Zeeman effect is not observable in everyday life. It requires specialized equipment, such as a strong magnetic field and a spectrometer, to observe and study this phenomenon.

5. What is the difference between the Zeeman effect and the Stark effect?

The Zeeman effect and the Stark effect are two different phenomena. The Zeeman effect is the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of a magnetic field, while the Stark effect is the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of an electric field. They both occur due to the interaction between the field and the atom's electrons, but the type of field is what distinguishes them.