The Purge: Exploring the Possibility of Real-Life Implementation and Its Effects

• Thread starter kiki_danc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of the Purge as portrayed in a movie and whether it could occur in reality. The idea is that allowing people to release their negative emotions through committing crimes once a year could lead to less crime throughout the rest of the year. However, there are concerns about the potential consequences and the ethical implications of such a practice. The conversation also touches on the comparison of the Purge to real-life events and the notion that it may not be an effective solution for reducing crime. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the idea that discussing indiscriminate killings is not appropriate for the forum.
kiki_danc
Do you consider the Purge as science fiction? I don't know where to post non-science fiction movie, why is there no forum for it.

I'd like to know if the Purge can really occur in our world. The logic is that crimes occur because of deep negative subconscious reservoir.. and when you can purge all your negative emotions.. then you would be free.

In the movie.. once a year for 12, crimes can be committed for free so the people can purge all the negative emotions and there would be much less crimes throughout the year. Can this occur in a any nation in the foreseeable future? If there would be public debate about this. What defense can you give that would not justify the Purge occurring in your country?

I watch The Purge at tv every week and keep wondering about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no reason to believe this would work - or that the basis for it is sound.

Likes russ_watters
kiki_danc said:
I'd like to know if the Purge can really occur in our world. The logic is that crimes occur because of deep negative subconscious reservoir.. and when you can purge all your negative emotions.. then you would be free.
It's a monstrous idea.

I'm a relatively law-abiding man. Crimes hurt me. Committing a (harmful) crime myself would scar me.

The thought of every other person in my region being allowed to commit crimes that will deprive, hurt, or even kill me, is about as close to hell as I can imagine.

I like to think that most other people are like me. A purge would turn the world into anarchy.

Likes Drakkith and russ_watters
DaveC426913 said:
It's a monstrous idea.

I'm a relatively law-abiding man. Crimes hurt me. Committing a (harmful) crime myself would scar me.

The thought of every other person in my region being allowed to commit crimes that will deprive, hurt, or even kill me, is about as close to hell as I can imagine.

I like to think that most other people are like me. A purge would turn the world into anarchy.

But we already have something far worse than the Purge.. for example. In world war II. Millions were butchered and mutilated. The Purge would have much less casualties.

kiki_danc said:
But we already have something far worse than the Purge.. for example. In world war II. Millions were butchered and mutilated. The Purge would have much less casualties.
Hardly an equivalent.
Generally, those in harm's way were soldiers. And they had training. And guns. And they were given orders for strategy.
It wasn't simply visceral mayhem and wanton destruction just for the high.

Likes Drakkith
Discussing indiscriminate killings is not appropriate for PhysicsForums.

Thread closed.

Likes NTL2009, russ_watters, Bystander and 3 others

What is "The Purge" and its premise?

"The Purge" is a fictional movie and television franchise that explores a world where, for one night every year, all crime is legal and emergency services are suspended. The premise of the franchise is that this annual event, known as "The Purge", serves as a release for society's pent-up aggression and results in a safer and more productive society for the rest of the year.

Is there any real-life possibility of implementing "The Purge"?

No, there is currently no possibility of implementing "The Purge" in real life. The concept of legalizing all crime for a specific period of time goes against the fundamental principles of our legal system and would lead to chaos and violence rather than the intended catharsis.

What are the potential effects of implementing "The Purge" in real life?

If "The Purge" were to be implemented in real life, it would likely result in a significant increase in crime and violence. People may feel a sense of entitlement to commit crimes during this period, leading to an overall breakdown of social order and safety. Additionally, the psychological toll on individuals who participate or witness these acts of violence would be immense.

Are there any real-life events similar to "The Purge"?

No, there are no real-life events that are similar to "The Purge". While there have been instances of government-sanctioned violence and crime, such as during periods of martial law or in authoritarian regimes, these actions are not limited to a specific time period and are not seen as a means of societal catharsis.

What can we learn from exploring the possibility of "The Purge" in real life?

Exploring the possibility of "The Purge" in real life can serve as a cautionary tale about the dangers of extreme ideologies and the importance of upholding the principles of justice and equality in society. It also highlights the importance of addressing and managing societal issues and grievances in a productive and non-violent manner.