The real reason why women wear high-heeled shoes.

In summary, high heeled shoes were invented in the 1600s by the French or Italians, and not that many women wear them. They come off as bossy and bitchy when worn at the office, and intimidating when worn by a sophisticated woman in an upscale setting.
Evo said:
My legs (old pics)

spawncomputer6hq.jpg

WooHoo! Is that really an old Compaq computer on the desk, or is it an Osborne?!? Mighty attractive! Still have it? :wink:

(edit: darn, Vandium beat me to it. But, FWIW, I had that exact same POS computer table.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
waht said:
Classy high heeled shoes were invented in the 1600s by the French or Italians, and not that many women wear them. I doubt that most men look at shoes the same way women look at men's shoes. :cool:

Just out of curiosity, what do women think about when looking at men's shoes? I always though to them as foot covers and made sure they matched my belt. Apart from that I was not aware that anyone was scrutinizing
rootX said:
Few weeks ago my coworker was wearing high heels but didn't know how to walk in them .. :rofl: she's an engineer

That sounds like the cutest thing ever. I find the slight social awkwardness very appealing :blushing: you always have to give out points for trying.

Sorry! said:
Evo, what's that thing on the desk in front of you?

hahahaha
When I first saw the pic I thought it was a microwave. :tongue: nice legs though. :wink:

It looks like an old photo.
Are you expecting in that picture?
Congratulations! :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
Light colored heels will accentuate the narrowness of the calf more than the dark ones.

And I suppose the higher the heel "will accentuate the narrowness of the" woman's common sense.

rootX said:
Few weeks ago my coworker was wearing high heels but didn't know how to walk in them .. :rofl: she's an engineer

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nobody mentioned hip movement? I like to wear heels, but always comfortable ones. Wearing flat boots makes me feel like I'm a construction worker, I've never seen one that looks elegant.

Vanadium 50 said:
Wow!

An original Compaq computer! And a copy of Lotus 1-2-3 Release 1A!

Um...what were we talking about again?
I had a Comodore 64 too. You have better eyes than I do Vanadium!

rolerbe said:
WooHoo! Is that really an old Compaq computer on the desk, or is it an Osborne?!? Mighty attractive! Still have it? :wink:

(edit: darn, Vandium beat me to it. But, FWIW, I had that exact same POS computer table.)
That computer closed up into what looked like a suitcase, it was a "portable" computer. :tongue2: Yes, it's a Compaq.

Lacy33 said:
It looks like an old photo.
Are you expecting in that picture?
Congratulations! :smile:
I was 9 months pregnant.

Evo said:
I was 9 months pregnant.

So you are 5 on the picture?!

Borek said:
So you are 5 on the picture?!
Yes. <sticks 5 GOOBF cards into Borek's computer>

Evo said:
Yes. <sticks 5 GOOBF cards into Borek's computer>

I thought the photo looked like a cropped picture of a pregie sitting in front of a fan begging for forgiveness.
I don't know about the shape or condition of your legs there but I'm sure they must not have been happy to be hung up in stirrups for the hull.
How long were you in labor?
And did you attack, mangle, or mess anybody up on the way from labor to delivery like I did? :devil:

I am mortified to ask what a GOOBF is... OK, what is it? :confused:

Lacy33 said:
How long were you in labor?
42 hours, in the hospital.
And did you attack, mangle, or mess anybody up on the way from labor to delivery like I did? :devil:[/quote]I was in too, much pain to do anything to anyone.

I am mortified to ask what a GOOBF is... OK, what is it? :confused:
GOOBF=Get Out Of Banning Free. You get one for being nice to me or doing something nice for other members.

<puts GOOBF card in Lacy's computer>

(don't tell anyone that they don't really work)

Oh Yeah! GOOBF cards Eve. They use to be called something else and trust me I know they DON'T work for beans! :yuck: But thank you for thinking of me anyway.

Just between you and me. You are posting some pretty racy pics there. Don't do anything you will regret when we grow up. Like if you become a nun or something. Your Mother Superior might pin your legs n' computer picture in the dinning hall for all your Sisters to see and judge you by.
Or it could be used by some kids on a forum in the future as a joke for the first portable computer. :blushing:

Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Lacy33 said:
Just between you and me. You are posting some pretty racy pics there. Don't do anything you will regret when we grow up. Like if you become a nun or something. Your Mother Superior might pin your legs n' computer picture in the dinning hall for all your Sisters to see and judge you by.
Or it could be used by some kids on a forum in the future as a joke for the first portable computer. :blushing:

Dont listen to her, Evo. We do appreciate every picture you post, and we will continue to do so even if you become a nun. And then again, the "sisters" should no judge.

:devil:

DanP said:
Dont listen to her, Evo. We do appreciate every picture you post, and we will continue to do so even if you become a nun. And then again, the "sisters" should no judge.

LOL :rofl: Try, Cry and Judge!

Lacy33 said:
LOL :rofl: Try, Cry and Judge!

Just to be clear, there are other faith versions of the Nun and we Sisters all go through ... I mean go to the same hell.

Lacy33 said:
... I mean go to the same hell.

Who presides, errr..., who is the Reverend Mother ?

DanP said:

<puts GOOBF card in DanP's computer>

DanP said:
Who presides, errr..., who is the Reverend Mother ?

Well you might want to Google this but I "think" it's a nun who pestered her male higher -ups to the point that they made her a Reverend or an official Clergy (where there no women are allowed) against their better judgment and then they asked her to leave town because she was making a huge political tummel and they are all going to look like arses as soon as it gets to the higher ups until they realize they ARE the higher ups and then they pay her to go to university and learn physics which they know will keep her busy and make her look stupid.
She eventually "presides" or hangs around PF.

Lacy33 said:
Well you might want to Google this but I "think" it's a nun who pestered her male higher -ups to the point that they made her a Reverend or an official Clergy (where there no women are allowed) against their better judgment and then they asked her to leave town because she was making a huge political tummel and they are all going to look like arses as soon as it gets to the higher ups until they realize they ARE the higher ups and then they pay her to go to university and learn physics which they know will keep her busy and make her look stupid.
She eventually "presides" or hangs around PF.

I got it ! Newton's mom !

Hurkyl said:
I've heard that too. But I think it just makes the leg look weird. I only remember one heel-wearing girl that I thought had nice legs -- and when I saw her without them they were even sexier.

Well, I've generally experienced that too...once you start removing articles of clothing, generally the men think it's a lot sexier. :biggrin:

Vanadium 50 said:
Wow!

An original Compaq computer! And a copy of Lotus 1-2-3 Release 1A!

Um...what were we talking about again?

:rofl: You know it's Physics Forums when the guys are noticing the computer rather than the woman's legs in the photo. :rofl:

DanP said:
I got it ! Newton's mom !

Is that before or after she removed the fig?

Lacy33 said:
Is that before or after she removed the fig?

What means "fig" , Lacy ? I don't know the word. Is that the hair dress they used, those white things ?

DanP said:
What means "fig" , Lacy ? I don't know the word. Is that the hair dress they used, those white things ?

OK, I think we fell off the joke cart here and the horse is flying down the road. I think I will walk from here. See you in town.

Lacy33 said:
OK, I think we fell off the joke cart here and the horse is flying down the road. I think I will walk from here. See you in town.

Flying horses , speaking cows, jokes and carts, I still haven't got the slightest idea what the word "fig" means. My dictionary only indicates is a certain specie of a Mediterranean tree. I am not sure how can they "remove a tree" so I guess it has other meanings too. Enjoy walking, is healthy. See you in Cape Town .

DanP said:
Flying horses , speaking cows, jokes and carts, I still haven't got the slightest idea what the word "fig" means. My dictionary only indicates is a certain specie of a Mediterranean tree. I am not sure how can they "remove a tree" so I guess it has other meanings too. Enjoy walking, is healthy. See you in Cape Town .

Happy to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fig_Newton" for you, Dan :smile:.

Last edited by a moderator:
DanP said:

I meant the horse from the cart is moving fast down the road. And by now all I* can see is his back side.
I don't know where Cape Town is but will look you up under Danp.
Peace! Happy Thanksgiving.

lisab said:

Thanks Lisab.
The secret is out. :blushing:

lisab said:

Thanks Lisa! I still do not get what Lacy tried to say, but I am now a step closer. :smile:
Lacy33 said:
I don't know where Cape Town is but will look you up under Danp.
Peace! Happy Thanksgiving.

Its the second largest city in South Africa , and a wonderful place for surfing. Its also a nice wordplay for "see you in town" :P
Happy thanksgiving to all you Americans !