The reason you cant be flat footed in the military

In summary, being flat footed can cause back, hip, and knee problems which can prevent someone from joining the military. This was a disappointment for someone who had wanted to join since childhood, but their physical limitations were discovered later on. However, with advancements in modern boots, this may no longer be a restriction for military service. It also depends on the recruitment process and individual circumstances. Another question is raised about whether wearing glasses or contacts should be a barrier for flying fighter jets during war-time.
austin13walke
the reason you can't be flat footed in the military is because you have a lot of back, hip, and knee problems. I have wanted to join the military since i was a little kid. but recently i have just found out that i can't since i am flat footed. and that is the reason. I know for a fact because I am only fourteen and three disc in my back don't move (they are supposed to) my left hip has been rotated once, and my right hip has been rotated twice. and standing or running for long periods at a time cause me great pain in my feet.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it applies anymore with modern boots.
Of course it depends on how good recruitment is at the time.

If I wear prescription glasses or contact lens', should I be unquestionably allowed to fly as a pilot of a fighter jet during war-time?
Just a thought...

1. Why is being flat footed a disqualification for the military?

Being flat footed can affect a person's balance, stability, and overall physical performance. In the military, these traits are crucial for completing tasks and carrying heavy equipment, making it a potential safety concern for both the individual and their fellow soldiers.

2. Can someone with flat feet still join the military?

Yes, individuals with flat feet can still join the military as long as they meet certain criteria. The severity of their flat feet and any associated symptoms, such as pain or difficulty walking, will determine their eligibility. Those with mild flat feet may be able to join, while those with more severe cases may be disqualified.

3. Is being flat footed considered a medical condition?

Yes, flat feet, also known as pes planus, is a common medical condition where the arches of the feet are flattened. It can be a result of genetics, injury, or other health conditions. While some people with flat feet may not experience any negative effects, others may have pain or difficulty with physical activities.

4. Can flat feet be corrected through surgery?

In some cases, surgery may be recommended to correct flat feet. This may involve procedures to reconstruct or repair the tendons and bones in the feet to improve the arch. However, surgery is typically reserved for those with severe flat feet that cause significant pain and impairment.

5. Are there any accommodations for individuals with flat feet in the military?

Yes, there are accommodations that can be made for individuals with flat feet in the military. This may include special footwear or insoles to provide additional support and reduce discomfort. However, accommodations may vary depending on the branch of the military and the specific job duties assigned to the individual.