The rectangle has an empty interior

In summary: So, is it as followed??$\Rightarrow :$The measure of a rectangle $E$ is zero.We suppose that it has a nonempty interior, so it contains an open rectangle $(a_1, b_1) \times \dots \times (a_n, b_n)$.Then $m(E) \geq v \left ( (a_1, b_1) \times \dots \times (a_n, b_n) \right )=\prod_{j = 1}^n (b_j - a_j) >...$
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Show that the measure of a rectangle is zero if and only if it has an empty interior.

When a rectangle has an empty interior, does this mean that the length of the sides of the rectangle are equal to zero?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Show that the measure of a rectangle is zero if and only if it has an empty interior.

When a rectangle has an empty interior, does this mean that the length of the sides of the rectangle are equal to zero?? (Wondering)

No, it means that the rectangle has no interior points.

Euge said:
No, it means that the rectangle has no interior points.

Ahaa... Ok..

But how can that be, when the measure is equal to the volume=area of the rectangle, which is not equal to zero when the rectangle has no interior points?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ahaa... Ok..

But how can that be, when the measure is equal to the volume=area of the rectangle, which is not equal to zero when the rectangle has no interior points?? (Wondering)

Let's consider the 1-dimensional case. A rectangle $E$ with no interior points must be either empty or degenerate. In both cases, its measure is zero.

Conversely, suppose $E$ has nonempty interior. Then $E$ contains an interval of the form $(a,b)$. Thus $m(E) \ge b - a > 0$.

Last edited:
Euge said:
Let's consider the 1-dimensional case. A rectangle $E$ with no interior points must be either empty or nondegenerate. In both cases, its measure is zero.

Conversely, suppose $E$ has nonempty interior. Then $E$ contains an interval of the form $(a,b)$. Thus $m(E) \ge b - a > 0$.

At the 1-dimensional case the rectangle is an interval, right??

An interval with no interior points, must be empty. So can we just say that the measure is zero, or do we have to prove it??

Could you explain me what it means that it is nondegenerate?? (Worried)

When we suppose that E has nonempty interior, why is it $m(E) \geq b-a$ and not $m(E)=b-a$ ??

The above is at the one dimension. How could we say it generally?? Do we have to prove this by induction?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
At the 1-dimensional case the rectangle is an interval, right??

An interval with no interior points, must be empty. So can we just say that the measure is zero, or do we have to prove it??

Could you explain me what it means that it is nondegenerate?? (Worried)

When we suppose that E has nonempty interior, why is it $m(E) \geq b-a$ and not $m(E)=b-a$ ??

The above is at the one dimension. How could we say it generally?? Do we have to prove this by induction?? (Wondering)

Yes, a 1-D rectangle is an interval. Sorry, I meant to say that an interval with no interior points is either empty or degenerate (i.e., a one-point set). Since $E\supset (a,b)$, $m(E) \ge m((a,b)) = b - a$. You can't deduce $m(E) = b - a$ from $E \supset (a,b)$.

For the general case, start by showing that a rectangle with nonempty interior has positive measure. There's no need for induction.

Euge said:
Yes, a 1-D rectangle is an interval. Sorry, I meant to say that an interval with no interior points is either empty or degenerate (i.e., a one-point set). Since $E\supset (a,b)$, $m(E) \ge m((a,b)) = b - a$. You can't deduce $m(E) = b - a$ from $E \supset (a,b)$.

Ahaa... Ok! (Smile)

Euge said:
For the general case, start by showing that a rectangle with nonempty interior has positive measure. There's no need for induction.

Do we show this by using the fact that the measure of the rectangle is equal to the volume of the rectangle which is not equal to zero, since it has an nonempty interior?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Do we show this by using the fact that the measure of the rectangle is equal to the volume of the rectangle which is not equal to zero, since it has an nonempty interior?? (Wondering)

Not quite. Use the fact that a rectangle $E$ of nonempty interior contains an open rectangle, say $(a_1, b_1) \times \cdots \times (a_n, b_n)$.

Euge said:
Not quite. Use the fact that a rectangle $E$ of nonempty interior contains an open rectangle, say $(a_1, b_1) \times \cdots \times (a_n, b_n)$.

I got stuck right now... (Worried)

Could you explain it further to me?? (Wondering)

With the above fact, you deduce

\(\displaystyle m(E) \ge \text{vol}[(a_1, b_1) \times (a_n, b_n)] = \prod_{j = 1}^n (b_j - a_j) > 0,\)

since $b_j > a_j$ for all $j$.

Euge said:
With the above fact, you deduce

\(\displaystyle m(E) \ge \text{vol}[(a_1, b_1) \times (a_n, b_n)] = \prod_{j = 1}^n (b_j - a_j) > 0,\)

since $b_j > a_j$ for all $j$.

Ahaa... Ok! I got it now..So, is it as followed??

$\Rightarrow :$

The measure of a rectangle $E$ is zero.
We suppose that it has a nonempty interior, so it contains an open rectangle $(a_1, b_1) \times \dots \times (a_n, b_n)$.
Then $m(E) \geq v \left ( (a_1, b_1) \times \dots \times (a_n, b_n) \right )=\prod_{j = 1}^n (b_j - a_j) > 0$.
That cannot be true, since $m(E)=0$.
Therefore, if the measure of a rectangle is zero then it has an empty interior.

$\Leftarrow :$

The rectangle has an empty interior.
The rectangle is the union of the interior of the rectangle ($I$) and the bounds of the rectangle ($B$).
So, $m(E)=m(I \cup B)=m(I)+m(B)$.
Is this correct?? How could I continue?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ahaa... Ok! I got it now..So, is it as followed??

$\Rightarrow :$

The measure of a rectangle $E$ is zero.
We suppose that it has a nonempty interior, so it contains an open rectangle $(a_1, b_1) \times \dots \times (a_n, b_n)$.
Then $m(E) \geq v \left ( (a_1, b_1) \times \dots \times (a_n, b_n) \right )=\prod_{j = 1}^n (b_j - a_j) > 0$.
That cannot be true, since $m(E)=0$.
Therefore, if the measure of a rectangle is zero then it has an empty interior.

$\Leftarrow :$

The rectangle has an empty interior.
The rectangle is the union of the interior of the rectangle ($I$) and the bounds of the rectangle ($B$).
So, $m(E)=m(I \cup B)=m(I)+m(B)$.
Is this correct?? How could I continue?? (Wondering)

The first part looks good. The second part needs work. For the reverse direction ($\Leftarrow$), let $E$ be your rectangle, and write it as $E = \{(x_1,x_2\ldots, x_n)\, |\, a_j \le x_j \le b_j,\, j = 1, 2,\ldots, n)\}$ where the inequalities may not all be sharp. If $E$ has empty interior, then there is a $j$ for which $b_j = a_j$ (in other words, $E$ is degenerate). Otherwise $E$ contains the open rectangle $(a_1,b_1) \times \cdots (a_n,b_n)$, which contradicts the fact that $E$ contains no nonempty open set.

If $a_j = b_j$ for all $j$, then $E = \{(a_1,a_2\ldots, a_n)\}$ and $m(E) = 0$. Otherwise, suppose $a_j = b_j$ for only $r$ values of $j$, where $r < n$. Without loss of generality, assume $a_1 = b_1, a_2 = b_2, \ldots, a_r = b_r$. Given $\varepsilon > 0$, $E$ is covered by open rectangles of the form

\(\displaystyle R_j :=
\bigl(a_1 - \tfrac{\varepsilon}{2^{j+1}}, a_1 + \tfrac{\varepsilon}{2^{j+1}}\bigr) \times \cdots \times \bigl(a_r - \tfrac{\varepsilon}{2^{j+1}}, a_r + \tfrac{\varepsilon}{2^{j+1}}\bigr) \times (a_{r+1}, b_{r+1}) \times \cdots \times (a_n, b_n), \quad j = 1, 2, \ldots\)

and

\(\displaystyle \sum_j v(R_j) = \sum_j \frac{r\varepsilon}{2^j}\prod_{r < i \le n}(b_j - a_j) = C\varepsilon,\quad C = r\prod_{r < i \le n} (b_j - a_j).\)

Therefore $m(E) \le C\varepsilon$. Since $\varepsilon$ was arbitrary, we deduce $m(E) = 0$.

Euge said:
For the reverse direction ($\Leftarrow$), let $E$ be your rectangle, and write it as $E = \{(x_1,x_2\ldots, x_n)\, |\, a_j \le x_j \le b_j,\, j = 1, 2,\ldots, n)\}$ where the inequalities may not all be sharp. If $E$ has empty interior, then there is a $j$ for which $b_j = a_j$ (in other words, $E$ is degenerate). Otherwise $E$ contains the open rectangle $(a_1,b_1) \times \cdots (a_n,b_n)$, which contradicts the fact that $E$ contains no nonempty open set.

If $a_j = b_j$ for all $j$, then $E = \{(a_1,a_2\ldots, a_n)\}$ and $m(E) = 0$. Otherwise, suppose $a_j = b_j$ for only $r$ values of $j$, where $r < n$. Without loss of generality, assume $a_1 = b_1, a_2 = b_2, \ldots, a_r = b_r$. Given $\varepsilon > 0$, $E$ is covered by open rectangles of the form

\bigl(a_1 - \tfrac{\varepsilon}{2^{j+1}}, a_1 + \tfrac{\varepsilon}{2^{j+1}}\bigr) \times \cdots \times \bigl(a_r - \tfrac{\varepsilon}{2^{j+1}}, a_r + \tfrac{\varepsilon}{2^{j+1}}\bigr) \times (a_{r+1}, b_{r+1}) \times \cdots \times (a_n, b_n), \quad j = 1, 2, \ldots\)

and

\(\displaystyle \sum_j v(R_j) = \sum_j \frac{r\varepsilon}{2^j}\prod_{r < i \le n}(b_j - a_j) = C\varepsilon,\quad C = r\prod_{r < i \le n} (b_j - a_j).\)

Therefore $m(E) \le C\varepsilon$. Since $\varepsilon$ was arbitrary, we deduce $m(E) = 0$.

So, when the rectangle $E = \{(x_1,x_2\ldots, x_n)\, |\, a_j \le x_j \le b_j,\, j = 1, 2,\ldots, n)\}$ has an empty interior, that means that $a_j = b_j$ for all $j$, or for $r$ values of $j$, where $r < n$ ?? (Wondering)

Could you explain me why this stands?? (Worried)

mathmari said:
So, when the rectangle $E = \{(x_1,x_2\ldots, x_n)\, |\, a_j \le x_j \le b_j,\, j = 1, 2,\ldots, n)\}$ has an empty interior, that means that $a_j = b_j$ for all $j$, or for $r$ values of $j$, where $r < n$ ?? (Wondering)

Could you explain me why it stands?? (Worried)

I showed that when $E$ has empty interior, $a_j = b_j$ for at least one $j$. So I considered two cases. In the first case, $a_j = b_j$ for all $j$. In the second case, $a_j$ is not equal to $b_j$ for all $j$. Therefore, there is an $r < n$ such that $a_j = b_j$ for only $r$ values of $j$ (so the other $n - r$ values of $j$ have $a_j \neq b_j$).

Euge said:
I showed that when $E$ has empty interior, $a_j = b_j$ for at least one $j$. So I considered two cases. In the first case, $a_j = b_j$ for all $j$. In the second case, $a_j$ is not equal to $b_j$ for all $j$. Therefore, there is an $r < n$ such that $a_j = b_j$ for only $r$ values of $j$ (so the other $n - r$ values of $j$ have $a_j \neq b_j$).

Ahaa... Ok! I see... (Smile)
Euge said:
For the reverse direction ($\Leftarrow$), let $E$ be your rectangle, and write it as $E = \{(x_1,x_2\ldots, x_n)\, |\, a_j \le x_j \le b_j,\, j = 1, 2,\ldots, n)\}$ where the inequalities may not all be sharp. If $E$ has empty interior, then there is a $j$ for which $b_j = a_j$ (in other words, $E$ is degenerate). Otherwise $E$ contains the open rectangle $(a_1,b_1) \times \cdots (a_n,b_n)$, which contradicts the fact that $E$ contains no nonempty open set.

When we write the rectangle in the form $E = \{(x_1,x_2\ldots, x_n)\, |\, a_j \le x_j \le b_j,\, j = 1, 2,\ldots, n)\}$, are the $x_j$ intervals??

So, is $E$ of the form $$E=[a_1,b_1] \times [a_2,b_2] \times \dots \times [a_n,b_n] \text{ or } E=(a_1,b_1) \times (a_2,b_2) \times \dots \times (a_n,b_n)$$ ?? (Wondering)
Euge said:
If $a_j = b_j$ for all $j$, then $E = \{(a_1,a_2\ldots, a_n)\}$ and $m(E) = 0$.

Do we have that $m(E) = 0$, because $$m(E) =m \left ( \cup_{i=0}^{n} (a_i,a_i) \right )=\sum_{i=0}^{n} m((a_i,a_i))=\sum_{i=0}^{n} (a_i-a_i)=0$$ ?? (Wondering)
Euge said:
Otherwise, suppose $a_j = b_j$ for only $r$ values of $j$, where $r < n$. Without loss of generality, assume $a_1 = b_1, a_2 = b_2, \ldots, a_r = b_r$. Given $\varepsilon > 0$, $E$ is covered by open rectangles of the form

and

Is $E$ covered by open rectangles only if it is of the form $E=(a_1,b_1) \times (a_2,b_2) \times \dots \times (a_n,b_n)$ ??

When it were of the form $E=[a_1,b_1] \times [a_2,b_2] \times \dots \times [a_n,b_n]$, do we have to cover $E$ by closed rectangles?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
When we write the rectangle in the form $E = \{(x_1,x_2\ldots, x_n)\, |\, a_j \le x_j \le b_j,\, j = 1, 2,\ldots, n)\}$, are the $x_j$ intervals??

So, is $E$ of the form $$E=[a_1,b_1] \times [a_2,b_2] \times \dots \times [a_n,b_n] \text{ or } E=(a_1,b_1) \times (a_2,b_2) \times \dots \times (a_n,b_n)$$ ?? (Wondering)

No to both questions. The points $(x_1,x_2,\ldots, x_n)$ are elements of $\Bbb R^n$. Also, intervals are sets, not real numbers. So conceptually speaking the $x_j$ cannot be intervals. Since the inequalities $a_j \le x_j \le b_j$ may not all be sharp, $E$ may be neither open nor closed. So it may not be any of the two forms you've written.

mathmari said:
Do we have that $m(E) = 0$, because $$m(E) =m \left ( \cup_{i=0}^{n} (a_i,a_i) \right )=\sum_{i=0}^{n} m((a_i,a_i))=\sum_{i=0}^{n} (a_i-a_i)=0$$ ?? (Wondering)

No. The expressions $m(a_i, a_i)$ do not make sense. We have $m(E) = 0$ because for every $\varepsilon > 0$, $E$ is covered by open rectangles of the form

\(\displaystyle R_j = \prod_{i = 1}^n \Bigl(a_i - \frac{\varepsilon}{2^{j+2}}, a_i + \frac{\varepsilon}{2^{j+2}}\Bigr), \quad j = 1, 2, \ldots\)

with

\(\displaystyle \sum_j v(R_j) = \sum_j \frac{\varepsilon}{2^{j+1}} = \frac{\varepsilon}{2} < \varepsilon.\)
mathmari said:
Is $E$ covered by open rectangles only if it is of the form $E=(a_1,b_1) \times (a_2,b_2) \times \dots \times (a_n,b_n)$ ??

When it were of the form $E=[a_1,b_1] \times [a_2,b_2] \times \dots \times [a_n,b_n]$, do we have to cover $E$ by closed rectangles?? (Wondering)

The answer to the first question is no. Certainly the rectangle $R = [0,1) \times \cdots \times [0, 1)$ is covered by the closed rectangle $[0,1] \times \cdots \times [0,1]$ even though $R$ is not closed.

I don't understand where you're going with the second question. When was $E$ of that form?

What is meant by "The rectangle has an empty interior"?

When we say that a rectangle has an empty interior, it means that there are no points or objects inside the rectangle. The interior of a rectangle is defined as the region inside the four sides of the rectangle.

Can a rectangle have an empty interior?

Yes, a rectangle can have an empty interior if it has no points or objects inside its four sides. This is often the case with geometric or mathematical rectangles, but not necessarily true for everyday objects that may have a physical presence inside them.

What is the difference between an empty interior and a hollow interior for a rectangle?

An empty interior means there are no points or objects inside the rectangle, while a hollow interior means that there is a space or cavity inside the rectangle. An example of a rectangle with a hollow interior would be a cardboard box, while a mathematical rectangle would have an empty interior.

Why is it important to specify that a rectangle has an empty interior?

Specifying that a rectangle has an empty interior is important in mathematics and geometry because it helps to define and distinguish it from other shapes and figures. Additionally, the concept of an empty interior is used in various mathematical proofs and calculations.

Is it possible for a rectangle to have a non-empty interior?

Yes, it is possible for a rectangle to have a non-empty interior if there are points or objects inside its four sides. This is often the case with everyday objects such as tables, doors, or windows, which have a physical presence inside them.