The relation between impulse and momentum

In summary, impulse and momentum are related through the equation I = ΔP, where impulse is equal to the change in momentum. This is because a force applied over a longer period of time produces a bigger change in momentum than the same force applied briefly. It is also important to note the units related to impulse and momentum in each system.
greg_rack
Gold Member
I get that the impulse is I=FΔt, but why is it even equal to change in momentum caused by the force under consideration?

Physics news on Phys.org
$$\vec{I} = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \vec{F} dt = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \frac{d\vec{P}}{dt} dt = \vec{P}(t_2) - \vec{P}(t_1) = \Delta \vec{P}$$##\vec{F}## is the net force on the particle or extended body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71 and Dale
etotheipi said:
$$I = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \vec{F} \cdot dt = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \frac{d\vec{P}}{dt} dt = \vec{P}(t_2) - \vec{P}(t_1) = \Delta \vec{P}$$##\vec{F}## is the net force on the particle or extended body.
I still haven't studied integrals... 😅

For constant ##\vec{F}##,$$\vec{I} = \vec{F} \Delta t = \frac{d\vec{P}}{dt} \Delta t = \Delta \vec{P}$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71
etotheipi said:
For constant ##\vec{F}##,$$I = \vec{F} \Delta t = \frac{d\vec{P}}{dt} \Delta t = \Delta \vec{P}$$
Thank you so much, now it's clear!

Likes vanhees71
greg_rack said:
Summary:: I've studied momentum and impulse a long time ago, don't judge the silliness of this question

I get that the impulse is I=FΔt, but why is it even equal to change in momentum caused by the force under consideration?
Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_(physics)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum

"A resultant force causes acceleration and a change in the velocity of the body for as long as it acts. A resultant force applied over a longer time therefore produces a bigger change in linear momentum than the same force applied briefly: the change in momentum is equal to the product of the average force and duration. Conversely, a small force applied for a long time produces the same change in momentum—the same impulse—as a larger force applied briefly."

Likes etotheipi
Lnewqban said:
Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_(physics)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum

"A resultant force causes acceleration and a change in the velocity of the body for as long as it acts. A resultant force applied over a longer time therefore produces a bigger change in linear momentum than the same force applied briefly: the change in momentum is equal to the product of the average force and duration. Conversely, a small force applied for a long time produces the same change in momentum—the same impulse—as a larger force applied briefly."
Really exhaustive explanation, thank you!

Likes Lnewqban
You are welcome. :smile:
These basic concepts are very important.
Note units related to impulse and momentum in each system.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the definition of impulse and momentum?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object, and momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How are impulse and momentum related?

Impulse and momentum are directly proportional to each other. This means that as impulse increases, momentum also increases.

3. What is the formula for calculating impulse?

The formula for impulse is I = F * Δt, where I is impulse, F is the force applied, and Δt is the time interval over which the force is applied.

4. How does the conservation of momentum apply to impulse?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the impulse applied to one object will be equal and opposite to the impulse applied to another object, resulting in a net change of zero in the system's total momentum.

5. How does impulse affect the motion of an object?

Impulse causes a change in an object's velocity, either by increasing or decreasing it. This change in velocity can result in a change in the direction of motion or a change in the object's speed.