The response of a mass suspended between two poles to an angle of heel

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving suspending a yacht in the air using two straps connected by two poles. The angles of the yacht's position are related to the angles of the straps, and the yacht is able to slide along the straps due to its keel. The problem at hand is determining the position of the yacht when the structure is heeled, either by treating it as a dynamics or statics problem. The solution involves summing forces on the mass in an unknown position.
stavsantis
I am currently conducting a project where a yacht will be suspended in air by two straps which are connected together by two poles. The poles will be mounted on a barge and therefore I want to find how I can relate the angle of heel ([itex]\varphi[/itex]) to the two angles. Although the yacht will remain upright and not heel with the motion of the barge, due to its keel, it is free to slide along the strap to the most natural position. I attached a simplified 2D sketch of what I mean. In the level condition θl = θr. Any insight or where I can look to find the solution to my problem would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• suspended yacht.jpg
    suspended yacht.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the picture in the heeled condition, and then you should be in a position to start writing the governing equations.

But how will I know the exact position of the mass when the structure is heeled? would it just be by deriving the forces in the x and y directions??

You can treat it as a dynamics problem,and thus try to solve for the dynamic position of the mass, or you can treat it as a statics problem and solve for the static position of the mass. Either way, you start with summing forces on the mass in an unknown position.

I would first suggest considering the physical properties and dynamics of the mass, the straps, and the poles in this scenario. The angle of heel, \varphi, is likely influenced by factors such as the weight and distribution of the yacht, the tension and length of the straps, and the stability and flexibility of the poles.

To determine the relationship between the angle of heel and the two angles, \theta_l and \theta_r, it may be helpful to use principles of force and torque, as well as equations of motion. For example, you could consider the forces acting on the yacht and the straps, as well as the moment of inertia and angular acceleration of the system.

It may also be beneficial to consult with experts in yacht design or naval architecture, as they may have experience with similar scenarios and can provide insights on how to approach this problem.

Additionally, researching and analyzing previous studies or experiments on suspended masses and their responses to different angles could provide valuable information and guidance for your project.

Overall, the key to finding a solution to your problem will be a thorough understanding of the physical principles at play and careful analysis of the specific parameters and variables in your setup. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the "response" of a mass suspended between two poles to an angle of heel?

The "response" refers to how a mass suspended between two poles reacts to being tilted or angled from its original position. This can include factors such as the movement and stability of the mass, as well as the forces acting on it.

2. How does the angle of heel affect the response of a mass suspended between two poles?

The angle of heel directly affects the response of a mass suspended between two poles, as it determines the degree to which the mass is tilted from its original position. The greater the angle of heel, the more significant the response of the mass will be.

3. What factors influence the response of a mass suspended between two poles to an angle of heel?

The response of a mass suspended between two poles can be influenced by various factors, such as the weight and distribution of the mass, the length and strength of the poles, and external forces such as wind or waves.

4. How is the response of a mass suspended between two poles to an angle of heel measured?

The response of a mass suspended between two poles can be measured through various methods, including observing the movement and stability of the mass, measuring the forces acting on it, and using mathematical equations to calculate its response.

5. Why is understanding the response of a mass suspended between two poles to an angle of heel important?

Understanding the response of a mass suspended between two poles to an angle of heel is crucial in various fields, such as naval architecture and offshore engineering, as it helps in designing and predicting the behavior of structures and vessels in different conditions. It also aids in ensuring the safety and stability of these structures and their ability to withstand external forces and environmental conditions.