The rigid bar AC is supported by two axial bars

• Thread starter Triathlete
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Axial
In summary, the load applied to the rigid bar AC is 24.4 kN. The vertical displacement of the pin A is -480 mm.
Triathlete

Homework Statement

The rigid bar AC is supported by two axial bars (1) and (2). Both axial bars are made of bronze [E = 100 GPa; α = 18 × 10−6 mm/mm/°C]. The cross-sectional area of bar (1) is A1= 211 mm2 and the cross-sectional area of bar (2) is A2 = 303 mm2. After load P has been applied and the temperature of the entire assembly has increased by 21°C, the total strain in bar (2) is measured as 1210 με (elongation). Determine:
(a) the magnitude of load P.
(b) the vertical displacement of pin A.

upload_2015-2-23_19-13-16.gif

Homework Equations

εT = αΔT
εσ = εtotal - εT
σ = Eε
σ = F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by using the first equation and getting the strain caused by temp change in bar (2) → (18x10-6)(21) = 0.000378
Then, I plugged that result into the second equation to get strain caused by normal stress in bar (2) → 0.00121 - 0.000378 = 0.00032
I plugged this result into the third equation to get the stress in bar (2) → (0.00032)(100) = 0.032 GPa = 32 MPa
Then I plugged this into the fourth equation to solve for the force F2 → (32 N/mm2)(303 mm2) = 6752 N

To find P, I used the moment about point A → -480P - (9696)(1210) = 0 ⇒ P = 24442 N = 24.4 kN

My answer was incorrect, and I really have no idea what to do.

As for part b), I'm not really sure where to begin.
Any help would be appreciated, I really struggle at FBD's and correctly labelling moments and forces so if I could see one for this problem it would be a big help :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
When you took moments about point A, what was your sign convention?

paisiello2 said:
When you took moments about point A, what was your sign convention?

I took ccw as negative and cw as positive. Moments are not my forte so I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong here.

OK, can you explain then how you determined the signs in your last equation? A free body diagram might help as well.

I think you made a simple arithmetic mistake in step 4 but seem to have corrected for it in the last equation.

Check your arithmetic in the 2nd step.

Last edited:
Yeah I re did my calculations and it turns out I wrote down the wrong number o0).
I solved it, thanks for your help!

1. What is the purpose of the axial bars in supporting the rigid bar AC?

The axial bars act as support structures for the rigid bar AC, helping to distribute the weight and load evenly and prevent it from bending or breaking under pressure.

2. How do the axial bars affect the stability of the rigid bar AC?

The axial bars provide stability by keeping the rigid bar AC in place and preventing it from moving or shifting due to external forces or weight placed on it.

3. What materials are typically used for the axial bars?

The axial bars are usually made of strong and durable materials such as steel, aluminum, or titanium to ensure they can withstand the weight and pressure of the rigid bar AC.

4. What are the potential risks or limitations of using axial bars to support the rigid bar AC?

If the axial bars are not properly installed or made from inferior materials, they may not be able to support the weight of the rigid bar AC, leading to structural failure and potential injury. Additionally, the rigid bar AC may be limited in its range of motion if the axial bars are too rigid or restrictive.

5. Can the axial bars be adjusted or replaced if needed?

Yes, in most cases the axial bars can be adjusted or replaced if necessary. However, it is important to consult a professional and follow proper installation procedures to ensure the safety and stability of the rigid bar AC.