The Role of Expectancy in Human Emotions: A Scientific Perspective

• Thread starter jimmy1200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emotion
In summary, most of our love and hatred stems from the emotion of expectancy. Without this emotion, our actions and feelings towards others would be different. Expectancy influences our reasoned actions, but love and hatred are not governed by expectations. These emotions are subjective and can blind us, but they still involve reasoning. However, our expectations of a person or thing can also influence our emotions towards them, even if it is a subconscious expectation. Love and hate are not solely based on expectations, but it can play a role in how we feel towards someone or something.
jimmy1200
would you all agree that most of our love and hatred stems from the little emotion of expectancy. i mean would we all really be fighting and loving, killing and giving birth if it weren't for expectancy. would you get mad at someone if you didnt expect any particular outcome, would you love someone if you didnt expect and particular outcome, no you wouldnt.
such a simple word and such a simple feeling produces a very complex paradox within our world. aaaah, expectancy, what would we do without it.
such a perfect world

and is expectancy a word? :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I believe it is more correct to say that our love and hatred stems from our head being connected to our body. Without that would you really feel true love or hatred towards anyone? You would probably feel the blood trickling out your neck for about five seconds (the authorities say) before dying. Love or hatred would not enter into it.

Reasoned action depends on some information as to the outcome of one's action. This information is associated with the feeling of expectancy, though the feeling need not always be present.

Love and hatred, on the other hand, are not reasonable emotions. You do not love someone to get them to do things for you, and nor do you dispassionately decide to harm someone and reason from this that in order to harm them you should start hating them. Love and hatred are not governed by expectations.

No, I believe it is more correct to say that our love and hatred stems from our head being connected to our body. Without that would you really feel true love or hatred towards anyone? You would probably feel the blood trickling out your neck for about five seconds (the authorities say) before dying. Love or hatred would not enter into it.

wow, okaay, that was pointless

Reasoned action depends on some information as to the outcome of one's action. This information is associated with the feeling of expectancy, though the feeling need not always be present.

so your saying that if i didnt expect my girlfriend to love me, and she cheated on me, then i wouldn't get mad or that if i expected her to love me and she cheated on me with my cousin, then my anger does not stem from the fact that i expected more out of her. i mean if i just assumed she was a ho and nothing more and expected no more than some good oral out of her, then i wouldn't get mad if she did something like bone my cousin. i don't understand what your trying to get at with reasoned action and not needing the feeling of expectancy.

Love and hatred, on the other hand, are not reasonable emotions. You do not love someone to get them to do things for you, and nor do you dispassionately decide to harm someone and reason from this that in order to harm them you should start hating them. Love and hatred are not governed by expectations

what in the world are you trying to say here. i can barely understand your grammar, let alone what message your trying to relay. i don't think its okay to say something like love and hate are not reasonable emotions. i mean, yes in some instances love and hate can blind people, but just because i love something, does not make my ability to apply reasoning to any situation dealing with the object i love any less. love and hate have subjective views, and saying that these are not reasoning emotions, especially saying it as if it were an absolute, is in my opinion, false.
how are love and hate not governed by expectations. you wouldn't hate your dad if you didnt expect him to play a specific role in your life, and he didnt. you wouldn't hate carrots if you didnt at some point in time expect it to taste at least decent. whether its a conscious or subconscious expecation, i believe that most emotions are based off of our expectation of the place, person, food, object, etc.. you don't hate florida because you didnt expect it to be a nice place.
i don't understand your reasoning in this case and i would like to read another argument from you, because i have no idea what your trying to tell me, and yes i can read quite well. :yuck:

1. What is "Little emotion of expectancy"?

"Little emotion of expectancy" refers to a psychological phenomenon where individuals experience a mild level of emotion in anticipation of an event or outcome. It is often associated with feelings of hope, excitement, or anxiety.

2. How is "Little emotion of expectancy" measured?

The level of "little emotion of expectancy" can be measured through self-report questionnaires or physiological measures such as heart rate and skin conductance. Researchers may also use experimental manipulations to induce this emotion in a controlled setting.

3. What are the factors that contribute to "Little emotion of expectancy"?

There are several factors that can contribute to the experience of "little emotion of expectancy." These may include the significance of the event or outcome, individual expectations and beliefs, and the level of uncertainty surrounding the event.

4. How does "Little emotion of expectancy" affect behavior?

"Little emotion of expectancy" can have a significant impact on behavior. It can motivate individuals to take action towards achieving their desired outcome, or it can lead to avoidance behaviors in response to feelings of anxiety or fear. The intensity of the emotion can also influence the level of risk-taking behavior.

5. Can "Little emotion of expectancy" be changed or controlled?

Yes, "little emotion of expectancy" can be changed or controlled through various techniques such as cognitive reappraisal, relaxation techniques, or seeking social support. Additionally, individuals can also learn to manage their emotions through mindfulness practices and emotional regulation strategies.