The Rotational Inertia of a Merry Go Round

• Thread starter acg515
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario involving a merry go round with a boy and a girl. The initial angular speed of the system is 1.55 rad/s and the girl jumps off the merry go round while the boy is chasing her. The final angular speed is 1.45 rad/s. The task is to find the rotational inertia I and the mass M of the merry go round using the equation IiWi=IfWf. However, the masses seem to cancel out in the equation and the person asking for help is unsure of how to proceed.
acg515

Homework Statement

A merry go round modeled as a disk of mass M and radius R=2.15m is rotating in a horizontal plane about a frictionless vertical axle. Two youngsters are playing on the merry go round. The boy (m1=58 kg) is at the centre of the merry go round and the girl is at the edge - (m2=45.2 kg). The initial angular speed of the system is 1.55 rad/s. The girl sticks her tongue out at the boy and the boy chases her, running radially outward from the centre. By the time the boy gets to the edge the girl has jumped off. The angular speed reduces to 1.45 rad/s. Find the rotational inertia I and the mass M of the merry go round.

Homework Equations

I used IiWi=IfWf and set If=1/2 Mr^2 and Ii=1/2Mr^2 + m1r^2+m2r^2

However, I am not setting it up right because the masses cancel out, making it impossible for me to find the mass. I'm unsure of how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi acg515! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:)
acg515 said:
I used IiWi=IfWf and set If=1/2 Mr^2 and Ii=1/2Mr^2 + m1r^2+m2r^2

However, I am not setting it up right because the masses cancel out, making it impossible for me to find the mass. I'm unsure of how to proceed.

they shouldn't cancel :confused:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help :smile:

(oh, and your m1r2 is in the wrong equation)

What is the "Merry Go Round Problem"?

The "Merry Go Round Problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on objects placed on a rotating platform, such as a merry-go-round or a carousel.

What are the key factors to consider in the "Merry Go Round Problem"?

The key factors to consider in the "Merry Go Round Problem" are the rotational speed of the platform, the mass and position of the objects placed on it, and the forces acting on the objects, such as gravity and friction.

How does the "Merry Go Round Problem" relate to real-life situations?

The "Merry Go Round Problem" is a simplified version of the dynamics involved in many real-life situations, such as amusement park rides, rotating machinery, and even the Earth's rotation around its axis.

What are some common solutions to the "Merry Go Round Problem"?

Some common solutions to the "Merry Go Round Problem" involve using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of circular motion to calculate the forces and acceleration of objects on the rotating platform.

What are some real-world applications of solving the "Merry Go Round Problem"?

Solving the "Merry Go Round Problem" has many practical applications, such as designing safer amusement park rides, optimizing the performance of rotating machinery, and understanding the effects of centrifugal force on objects in space.