The "Rule of Four" in Calculus: A Short Critique

In summary, the "Rule of Four" in calculus is the teaching philosophy that all concepts should be taught algebraically, graphically, numerically, and verbally.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
The "Rule of Four" in calculus is the teaching philosophy that all concepts should be taught algebraically, graphically, numerically, and verbally. In particular, when dealing with functions, the teacher should emphasize the algebraic, graphical, numerical, and verbal representations. I could be wrong on this, but it seems to me that this emphasis is meant to imply that all four of these representations are equally valid and useful.

Baloney.

I want to present a little table. This table is meant to illustrate which representations can be accurately inferred from other representations. The vertical column on the left is the origin representation, and the horizontal row on the top is the target representation. In other words, this table is attempting to answer the question, "Which representations can accurately generate which other representations?"

$\implies$AlgebraicGraphicalNumericalVerbal
AlgebraicOf course.Yes.Yes.Yes.
GraphicalWith difficulty. Often impossible without additional information.Of course.Yes, but requires much effort.Yes, if enough data is present.
NumericalWith difficulty. Often impossible without additional information.Yes, if enough data is present.Of course.Yes, if enough data is present.
VerbalYes.Yes, but often must be done through another representation.Yes, but often must be done through another representation.Of course.

So one of these origin representations can generate the other three with very little difficulty: the algebraic/analytical representation. Therefore, when it is available, the algebraic/analytical representation is the most superior.

Am I saying that the other representations are useless? By no means. Of course they're not. Sometimes, all you get is numerical, like when you're doing data acquisition in a control setting. Other times, all you have is graphical, like one time when I needed the VI curve for a diode and was given a graph of it in the diode's data sheet.

What I am saying is that the algebraic/analytical is not equal in value to the other three - it is superior. Therefore, in teaching calculus, I emphasize the algebraic/analytical approach whenever it is available.

Physics news on Phys.org
When an engineer needs to know the area of a specific piece of land (real life problem), what he does is:
- draw it,
- cut it out of paper,
- weigh it.

Very simple, very straight forward, and sufficiently accurate.
Who needs any of the other representations. ;)
(I'm not really joking.)

Note that it is near impossible to describe a piece of land algebraically, a numerical approximation is a lot of unnecessary work, and any verbal method is not reliable enough (although a good salesman can probably do a good job).

I like Serena said:
When an engineer needs to know the area of a specific piece of land (real life problem), what he does is:
- draw it,
- cut it out of paper,
- weigh it.

Very simple, very straight forward, and sufficiently accurate.
Who needs any of the other representations. ;)
(I'm not really joking.)

Note that it is near impossible to describe a piece of land algebraically, a numerical approximation is a lot of unnecessary work, and any verbal method is not reliable enough (although a good salesman can probably do a good job).

Sure: in this situation, you could say that the algebraic representation is not available. But I've already covered that possibility in the OP.

By the verbal form of concepts, do you mean something like this?

"To the absolute number multiplied by four times the square, add the square of the middle term; the square root of the same, less the middle term, being divided by twice the square is the value". (A version of the quadratic formula from the 628 AD Indian book, see Wikipedia.)

Then clearly it does not have the same value as the algebraic representation.

I often need to see graphs of functions to understand their behavior, so drawing graph sketches from formulas is important. Also, I wish we had more numerical exercises and examples. It is one thing to know that logarithm grows much slower than the identity function, but another to realize that the common logarithm of one million is a mere 6 (which is obvious, of course). In particular, I am wondering if it would make a good first part of an exercise on proving continuity by definition to find numerical deltas for several epsilons, before coming up with a general formula.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
By the verbal form of concepts, do you mean something like this?

"To the absolute number
What does 'absolute number' mean here?
multiplied by four times the square, add the square of the middle term; the square root of the same, less the middle term, being divided by twice the square
Twice the square of what?

is the value". (A version of the quadratic formula from the 628 AD Indian book, see Wikipedia.)

Then clearly it does not have the same value as the algebraic representation.

I often need to see graphs of functions to understand their behavior, so drawing graph sketches from formulas is important. Also, I wish we had more numerical exercises and examples. It is one thing to know that logarithm grows much slower than the identity function, but another to realize that the common logarithm of one million is a mere 6 (which is obvious, of course). In particular, I am wondering if it would make a good first part of an exercise on proving continuity by definition to find numerical deltas for several epsilons, before coming up with a general formula.

The "absolute number" apparently is the constant term $c$ in $ax^2+bx=c$, the form of the quadratic equation from the link. "The square" means the coefficient of $x^2$, i.e., $a$. This description should not be judged too strictly: it dates from the first millennium AD.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
This description should not be judged too strictly: it dates from the first millennium AD.

Hmm, isn't Euclid's Elements from the first millennium BC? ;)

Who said anything about Euclid?

Could you give an example of how you use the "numerical method" when teaching calculus? I think you make a great point that these are not equally useful in practice, but maybe for conceptualizing what is going on they are more equal. Having a verbal description of a function or of what a derivative is can't do very much for concrete problems but it is worth covering for sure. You wrote that you use the conclusion that all four methods shouldn't be equally weighted in your teaching. Can you give an example of how you do this? As a teacher and tutor of various subjects, this is very interesting for me.

Related to The "Rule of Four" in Calculus: A Short Critique

1. What is the "Rule of Four" in Calculus?

The "Rule of Four" in Calculus is a principle that highlights the four main representations of a mathematical concept: algebraic, graphical, numerical, and verbal. It suggests that in order to fully understand a concept in calculus, one must be able to comprehend and interpret it in all four forms.

2. Why is the "Rule of Four" important in Calculus?

The "Rule of Four" is important in Calculus because it emphasizes the interconnectedness of the four representations, allowing for a deeper understanding of the concept. It also helps students to develop a more holistic and versatile approach to problem-solving in calculus.

3. How does the "Rule of Four" benefit students?

The "Rule of Four" benefits students by providing a well-rounded understanding of a concept, which can aid in retention and application of knowledge. It also encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills by allowing students to approach a problem from multiple perspectives.

4. Are there any limitations to the "Rule of Four" in Calculus?

While the "Rule of Four" is a valuable principle in calculus, it may not be applicable to all mathematical concepts. Some concepts may not have as clear of connections between the four representations, and others may require additional or alternative representations.

5. How can the "Rule of Four" be incorporated into teaching calculus?

The "Rule of Four" can be incorporated into teaching calculus by using a variety of teaching methods and materials that address each of the four representations. This can include using visual aids, hands-on activities, and verbal explanations to reinforce the connections between the representations. It is also important for instructors to encourage students to think about and explain concepts in each of the four forms.