The Saha equation (degree of ionization in plasma)

• Thread starter Zarude22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plasma
Zarude22
Homework Statement
We were asked to calculate the degree of ionization which is described by the Saha equation (below). We were given T=0.3 eV, dominating ion species of O+ with density of 10^11 / m^3 and ionization energy of oxygen of 13.62 eV.
Relevant Equations
The equation was given to us in a form of n_i/n_n=3*10^27*T^(3/2)*n_i^(-1)*e^(-U/T) (some approximations used and constants bunched together)
I tried to understand the equation and plug in the numbers, but I just don't get how that is supposed to give us a ratio (with no units!), when it only has the temperature/energy to the power of 3/2 and that multiplied by m^3. Other units (in the exponent of e) cancel each other out. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you check to see if the numerical factor of ##3 \times 10^{27}## has units?

TSny said:
Did you check to see if the numerical factor of ##3 \times 10^{27}## has units?
Hi! It didnt, which I also thought was kinda of weird, since one of the course books has another constant, 2.4*10^21, with the only difference being KT instead of T in the e^U/T term.
Also in that equation not sure how they are supposed to cancel out.

The numerical factor does have units. The Saha equation as given to you must not have indicated the units for the numerical factor. A quick search will show that the numerical factor is expressible in terms of certain fundamental constants such as Planck's constant and the mass of the electron. See here for example. It's a good exercise to show that for the units that you are using, where temperature ##T## is in energy units of eV and length is in meters, the numerical factor has units of (m3 eV3/2)-1.

TSny said:
The numerical factor does have units. The Saha equation as given to you must not have indicated the units for the numerical factor. A quick search will show that the numerical factor is expressible in terms of certain fundamental constants such as Planck's constant and the mass of the electron. See here for example. It's a good exercise to show that for the units that you are using, where temperature ##T## is in energy units of eV and length is in meters, the numerical factor has units of (m3 eV3/2)-1.
Yes, I figured it must have OR I have understood the equation and assignment wrong and it's more complex. But if it a simple plug in the value to the equation, then it must have units for it to cancel out. I was just wondering if there was something else that I didn't realize. But thank you!

Likes TSny

What is the Saha equation?

The Saha equation is a mathematical expression that describes the degree of ionization in a plasma. It relates the number of ionized atoms to the total number of atoms in a given plasma at a specific temperature and pressure.

How is the Saha equation derived?

The Saha equation was first derived by the Indian astrophysicist Meghnad Saha in 1920. He used statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics principles to develop the equation. Later, it was refined and modified by other scientists to better fit different plasma conditions.

What are the assumptions made in the Saha equation?

The Saha equation assumes that the plasma is in thermal equilibrium, and that the atoms are in their ground state. It also assumes that the plasma is ideal, meaning there are no interactions between particles. These assumptions make the equation simpler and easier to use, but they may not accurately represent all plasma conditions.

How is the Saha equation used in plasma research?

The Saha equation is an essential tool in plasma research. It is used to determine the degree of ionization in a plasma, which is crucial for understanding its behavior and properties. It is also used to calculate the electron density and temperature of a plasma, which are essential parameters for many plasma experiments and applications.

What are the limitations of the Saha equation?

While the Saha equation is a useful tool, it has some limitations. It assumes that the plasma is in thermal equilibrium, which may not be the case in some plasmas. It also does not take into account the effects of magnetic fields or non-ideal plasma conditions. Therefore, it may not accurately predict the degree of ionization in all plasma environments.