The scalar partner of Majorana particle in SUSY

In summary, the right-handed sneutrino can decay into both (s)leptons and anti-(s)leptons, making it the anti-particle of itself. There is a question about its mathematical representation and whether it can be a real scalar, which is addressed through the example of the Klein-Gordon equation and the concept of charge density.
Accidently
For example, the right-handed sneutrino. It can decay into both (s)leptons and anti-(s)leptons, so it is also the anti-particle of itself. I wonder how it looks like mathematically. If it is the same as normal scalar field, we can still distinguish its anti-particle (the complex conjugate)...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand. νR is just a single state. So wouldn't its superpartner be a single state also, i.e. a real scalar?

Bill_K said:
I don't understand. νR is just a single state. So wouldn't its superpartner be a single state also, i.e. a real scalar?

I don't think it can be a real scalar. When we calculate the number density of the scalar [tex]n = -i(\phi\dot\phi^*-\dot\phi\phi^*)[/tex], a real scalar cannot have a non-zero number density.

Let me rephrase this question: Think about the plane wave solution of this scalar [tex]\phi=Ae^{-i\rm{px}}[/tex]. So its anti-particle [tex]\phi=Ae^{i\rm{px}}[/tex] cannot be itself, unless it is real. But in this case, it cannot have a number density.

What you're calling the number density is actually the charge density. Better read up on the Klein-Gordon equation!

1. What is a scalar partner in SUSY?

A scalar partner in SUSY, also known as a superpartner, is a hypothetical particle predicted by Supersymmetry (SUSY) theory. It is believed to have the same mass and spin as its corresponding particle, but differs in its spin quantum number.

2. What is the scalar partner of a Majorana particle?

The scalar partner of a Majorana particle is a hypothetical particle with no spin, known as a Majorana scalar particle. It is predicted by SUSY theory and is believed to have the same mass and quantum numbers as a Majorana fermion, but with opposite spin.

3. How does the scalar partner of a Majorana particle relate to dark matter?

The scalar partner of a Majorana particle is a possible candidate for dark matter, as it is predicted by SUSY theory and has the properties required for dark matter, such as stability and weak interactions with ordinary matter.

4. What evidence supports the existence of the scalar partner of a Majorana particle?

There is currently no direct evidence for the existence of the scalar partner of a Majorana particle. However, its existence is predicted by SUSY theory, which is a widely accepted framework for particle physics, and it could potentially explain several unresolved problems in physics, such as the hierarchy problem and dark matter.

5. How are scientists searching for the scalar partner of a Majorana particle?

Scientists are searching for the scalar partner of a Majorana particle through experiments at high-energy particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), and through indirect detection methods, such as studying the properties of dark matter. However, the exact properties and mass of the scalar partner are still unknown, making its detection challenging.