The Shadow Of An Atom - False Colour Images Reveal Structure

In summary: They are beautiful and thought-provoking, but we cannot confirm if they truly represent something real or if they are just a product of our imagination.In summary, the conversation revolves around the source and technique used to create renderings of the M87 black hole, which involves processing and altering images to reveal potential hidden information. The color scheme used is not directly correlated to intensity and the process may introduce false positives. The speaker also mentions their experience with data mining and AI. However, the validity of their findings is questioned as it has not been peer-reviewed in a scientific journal. Despite this, the images produced are still considered thought-provoking and intriguing.
dt101
I've been adding some renderings I did of the M87 black hole on a different thread and was asked to elaborate on the source of this technique which was investigating images of the shadow of an atom. You can look up the original experiment on Google, as well as observe the final image. The following images extend upon this by exploring deeper into the shadow for oddities. Hope everyone enjoys.

Physics news on Phys.org
The second image.

The third image.

Final image.

One more...

Can you elaborate on the color meaning? Is it some sort of intensity?

As an example, ocean bathymetry charts use colors to indicate depth and there is traditionally a legend that describes the correspondence of depth to color shown.

jedishrfu said:
Can you elaborate on the color meaning? Is it some sort of intensity?

As an example, ocean bathymetry charts use colors to indicate depth and there is traditionally a legend that describes the correspondence of depth to color shown.

The colours don't map directly to intensity. The colours are a product of mixing identical images with slight alterations (sharpness, contrast, brightness, exposure, etc) to one of those images. The mixing produces the false colours. The images generally state, there is something to found, this is what it roughly looks like but we have no idea what that is.

It would be helpful if you have a reference for this technique. I don't mean something that describes how you did it, I mean something that shows it teasing additional info from an existing image.

I know it looks like it does this. However, the more processing you do on measured data, the greater the risk of introducing false positives in the results and in this case you are processing the results of an earlier processing step that may have thrown out some details already.

Do you get where I'm going here?

Your processing may be adding in information that isn't already present in the base image and your processing isn't extracting hidden information as you may think.

This applies to your M87 photos as well.

Likes russ_watters and Greg Bernhardt
jedishrfu said:
It would be helpful if you have a reference for this technique. I don't mean something that describes how you did it, I mean something that shows it teasing additional info from an existing image.

I do, I used the sun as a reference and the technique revealed multiple things that are not apparent in the reference image. I added some of that to the thread on M87 black holes. The process didn't invent anything.

jedishrfu said:
I know it looks like it does this. However, the more processing you do on measured data, the greater the risk of introducing false positives in the results and in this case you are processing the results of an earlier processing step that may have thrown out some details already.

Do you get where I'm going here?

Yes, I get where you going with that. I have quite a bit of experience with data mining, neural nets, genetic algorithms, AGI, etc. I'm happy its not happening here, we're getting a fairly decent zoom.

jedishrfu said:
Your processing may be adding in information that isn't already present in the base image and your processing isn't extracting hidden information as you may think.

This applies to your M87 photos as well.

Could be, but I wrote custom code to throw a loss pass filter, with a bit of a bias, at the image and it returned the same structures. I have actually posted some of this at my site. The link is in the other thread.

I suspected you had some ML and data mining experience from your comments.

With respect to the zoom, I have to disagree. The analogies I've heard is that to image the M87 black hole photo of 40 uarcsecs is like trying to image a golf ball on the moon.

The problem here is that while your work is very interesting and the images produced are really quite artistic, its not been peer reviewed in any science journal and so none of us here can really comment on what you believe you've discovered other than to say that its a personal theory.

PF has strict guidelines here to not discuss personal theories.

Likes russ_watters and Greg Bernhardt
I get it, no worries. Interesting though, isn't it?

Truly, they are. In some respects they are like those fascinating Julia set fractals.

Likes dt101

1. What is "The Shadow Of An Atom" and why is it important?

"The Shadow Of An Atom" refers to a series of false colour images that reveal the structure of atoms. These images are created using advanced imaging techniques and are important because they provide valuable insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter.

2. How are these false colour images created?

These images are created using a technique called atomic force microscopy (AFM). AFM uses a tiny probe to scan the surface of a material and measures the forces between the probe and the atoms on the surface. These measurements are then translated into a false colour image that represents the structure of the atoms.

3. What can we learn from these images?

These images can reveal the arrangement of atoms in a material, providing information about its physical and chemical properties. They can also help scientists understand how atoms interact with each other and how they form different structures.

4. Are these images accurate representations of atoms?

While these images may not show the exact size and shape of individual atoms, they do provide a visual representation of their relative positions and arrangements. These images are important tools for scientists to study and understand the properties of atoms and materials.

5. How do these images contribute to scientific research?

These images can contribute to a wide range of scientific research, from understanding the properties of new materials to developing new technologies. They can also help scientists study and manipulate individual atoms, leading to advancements in fields such as nanotechnology and quantum computing.